Horse autopsy price

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I am looking into horse insurance right now for major medical and mortality, and have received several quotes at or right around $450. The horse is priced according to the current economy, not what he is worth, or even what he has in training. I am only able to insure him for mortality for his purchase price, not his actual worth. I am considering going with Great American insurance companies, however one thing that my mother brought up is that if the horse dies you are required to have an autopsy done, which of course is at your expense. I've never had this done, I don't believe my vet even does this (farm call vet, no office) and I'm wondering roughly what this even costs.

Basically, i'm wondering if the autopsy price is close to what they are going to insure the horse for. For example if the horse is $2000 and the autopsy costs $1500, then you add in the $450 insurance premium, really you are only getting $50 back.

Also, is it possible to insure a horse for its actual value, and not necessarily what was paid for it?

Yes, there are ways to justify the value based on show performance and produce. Look at the various forms for the insurance carrier, they should be there

Barb

I was looking at those forms, and even inquired at one company. From what I understand the insured value can only go up from purchase price if horse receives training, advances show record, etc.

The horse in question has been owned by a trainer for 5 or 6 years I believe,and is already trained as an all arounder, so other than a spring tune up on driving possibly, the horse wouldn't be going back into training, and although it does have multiple national placings, they are prior to my owning him. From what I understand from the one agency, you pay the purchase price even if you got a good deal on the horse, and can only be insured for more than purchase price if the horse has additional training or show winnings during the time that you actually own it. Also was told that you cant get loss of use on a horse valued at less than $15,000.

I have always insured horses for what it would cost to replace them. I find that it is no ones business what I paid for the horse!! I have been lucky to get some great deals on horses and even luckier that I have not had to use the insurance!!

You can have the CDC (center of disease control) ag. department office in Harrisburg do a necropsy if need be, I believe it is around $150-$200 if not less,pricing is regardless of the size of the equine. I had a mare abort last year, suspected a twisted cord, but wasn't sure. The cost for the necropsy I believe was around $50. It was a twisted cord, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I unfortunately do know what it costs in my area to have a necropsy done on a horse. If you can take the horse's body to the state lab (which is close enough that we can), it is $66. That includes all warranted lab work and reports. It also includes disposal of the remains.

My vet will also do these on a farm call (I would think most vets will). I've seen them do this personally at a farm where a friends' horse died. I don't know the cost, but am sure it's more than the state lab charges (and maybe not quite as thorough, not sure).

Keep in mind that as your horse receives additional training, has show or breeding accomplishments, etc., you should be able to increase the value of his mortality amount. That is what I have done on my insured horses. They are now insured for a good deal more than their purchase prices and are worth that much more based on the fact that they've matured, had wins, sired nice foals, etc.

The company I deal with is also Great American, through GenCorp. I've worked with AgriRisk as well in the past and was able to increase the horse's insured value as he received more training, wins, foals, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a necropsy done here in Quebec on a 5 month old mini filly. We took the body to the large animal hospital in St. Hyacinthe(about a 3 hour drive from us) and cost us a little over $150 to have the test done and the remains taken care off but we have a a farm card so was cheaper. Without a farm card would have cost twice that.

My Friesian was insured through Great American. My vet came here (meaning my house) for the necropsy, and I think it was around $150-200.

Jessi

I've always had good luck with Agri-Risk, and am happy with the coverage I have now thru my local agent for homeowners insurance. The premuim does usually run 3-5% of the value tho. All of my horses have been insured for their value, not their purchase price, and I've never had to meet a minimum dollar amount for loss of use. Some insurance companies require a necropsy, some just require a vet statement. My vet does a farm call, and will usually then take the body to his office and send samples (when necessary) to the Vet School...usually runs around $200-250. If your company will not insure for current value or replacement cost, please consider shopping around a bit more. Good Luck!

I use Smith and Embry. A friend insured a mare in foal that she bought with them for $7,000 and her stallion for $10,000.

First her stallion had colic surgery, which they paid for; then she lost her mare when foaling, they paid her for that too. No problems at all with that insurance company. They were great!
default_biggrin.png

A necropsy here cost $75 ar the University of Minnesota.

I have only lost one horse of my own so far but my vet just did it for free because they wanted to know why they lost her too. She colicked(sp) and she acted like she was getting better but then she went downhill. I dont know if they will do it every time but I hope I wont have to find out.

I had a full size mini done at Harrisburg,Pa. for 125.00 And I had a full size horse done at New Bolton 3 weeks later for 150.00 > I will tell you this the one at New Bolton was more in depth. And some of the comments on the one from the state, was not sure if this is common for miniatures. Lorie

We took a foal to have an autopsy done on him a year or so ago and the state only charged 30.00 at that time. So that wasnt too bad and it answered our question as to what happened to him in utero.

Try getting a quote from Smith -Embry insurance. They are prompt and very professional. I know their major medical is cheaper than your other quote. They also include a partial colic surgery that is included with your insurance quote, they can tell you a bit more about that. I believe they will be hard to beat as far as rates and service. Laura

I checked with smith embry, and they are $25 cheaper, however their deductible for the major medical is higher, and is only $5,000, whereas the other companies are offering $7,500

Latest posts

Back