Horse Abused by Well Know Trainer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunnylady you said it all.

The ONLY way (IMO) Mr. Trainer could not be held to some degree of responsibility is if he was out of the state/country for the entire time this horse was at his facility. If he had no knowledge of these actions/conditions he does not run a very orderly facility, again my opinion.

If its your barn ...its your responsibility. Real simple. lot of trainers train by abusing the animal . I purchased a Quarter Horse from P.. P...... ex -wife , 20 years old and sold to me for a lot of money as a perfect first horse for a beginner...Well they kept it about 500 lbs underweight so it would be slow and lazy...among other things. Once I got her healthy , she was unable to be ridden by a non- professional. She has good ground manners though, fortunatly she is with a man that loves her to death and would never ride her...she is basicaly a lawn mower, but has a nice life of doing nothing. I hate dishonest people , especially when the thinkg they are being dishonest about could kill you accidently. I hope he serves time behind bars.

Yes, he is responsible, but he did not abuse the horse as the title states. There is a difference. It would be no different than stating if 2 children were playing and one was pushed by the other, than the parent at home then did the pushing. Just because it was at his place, does not make him the one that did the deed. Not that it absolves him, just makes him not the actuall perpetrator. There is a difference.

That is a horrible shame... and probably happens all too often.

No where did I see that they called law enforcement or filed charges against the trainer or the facility? I would be calling an attorney immediately and going from there!

This is one reason I dont send my horses out, and never have.

Many trainers have others who work with/for them who work horses. Folks think they are sending their horses off to be trained by so-n-so, but someone else does a lot of the work. However, the trainer oversees all... and though he was not at home, those horses are under his 'care' at his facility. They mean to say that he was not aware of all the bridles with the cruel and illegal bits hanging in his barn??? Come on.....

He may not have been home when the people got there (probably a good thing cause I know what I would have done to the guy) but how long had he been gone and how old were the injuries?!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he has a history of abusing horses at HIS barn...guilty , and responsible....If I ran a day care out of my home and a child was abused there would I be responsible ??? YES I would . He is charging a fee to take care of someones horse, he is charging a higher fee then i could charge because of his reputation....He has a moral obligation to take care of the horses that come to live at HIS barn because he is suppose to be better , and more responsible then the guy down the street...May he rot in jail with the other offenders. If my horse were abused like that I would do everything I could to ruine the guy. Jail time would be a blessing for him , compared to the things I would do to him.

...but he did not abuse the horse as the title states.
Pepi are you saying you know for a fact that the trainer didn't actually do it?

No I am not. I am stating what the article stated. That trainer was away. The article did not state that the trainer did the abuse as the title of this thread stated. I do understand that he would be responsible, as my original post stated. I doubt that anyone here knows, for fact, the actual events. They can only go on what is written.

I look at boths sides of a story. It states that the horse was tied and couldnt get to the water/food, people assumed then that this horse must have been tied for a long time. Maybe he was only tied a short time while they tended to his wounds. I will bet that everyone here has tied a horse with no water bucked in front of them. People read one statement and take the worst from it instead of wondering what else may have happened. The horse has had a Vet visit, at least once. So its not like he was hurt then tied and left alone.

I totally agree that the trainer should have called the owners and told them what happened. On the other side, does anyone KNOW that the trainer was notified? Then it should have fallen to the next in charge to contact them. There is no excuse for that not to have happened.

The horse has had a Vet visit, at least once. So its not like he was hurt then tied and left alone.
I have read and re-read the article, and the attached statements from the owner and the attending vets, and this isn't the impression that I have gotten. As near as I can tell, events transpired in this order: one of the horse's owners dropped in on the trainer's place, unannounced. He was appalled at the condition of his horse, but, not having a trailer with him, couldn't remove it at that time. He returned the next day, with another owner and a friend. They removed the horse, and took it to a vet in the area. That vet treated the wounds on the horse, removed bone fragments more than 2" long from the horse's jaws, gave the horse a body score of 3, and sent the horse home. A second vet saw the horse after it had been home for a while. He assessed it as having gained some weight (body score of 4,) and noted the healing of the reported injuries.

I agree, we don't know how long the horse had been tied, but one of the owners says they gave the horse some water just before they loaded him, and he drank it, so he was evidently thirsty (not that that means anything, one way or the other.) No, we don't know who inflicted those injuries on the horse, although the one vet seems to feel that the responsible party is very long-legged (is this big-name trainer a tall man?) Nothing I read indicated that the trainer or his employees had treated, or sought treatment for the horse's injuries, the only vet care I read anything about was done while the horse was in the owners' hands.

I also agree, the OP jumped to a conclusion when they read the article, that the trainer is the one who did this to this horse. I noticed that the author of the article was careful not to do the same thing. Without more evidence, we can't be sure exactly whom the shoe fits, but with two horses in the barn in very similar condition, I wouldn't send any animal of mine there!

Latest posts

Back