Horse Abused by Well Know Trainer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyarab

Reaction score
This makes me sick and angry at the same time as there is no reason for this. It just goes to show you that the top may not be the best and it also goes to show you that people who have their horses in training should show up unannounced to check on them. This man should be banned from ever training a horse again or even owning one. What is sad is that there are other trainers who abuse horses and maybe not to this extent but they haven't been caught yet.

Click on the link to read the story. Above the pictures are pdf files that will tell the story.

http://horsemanslibrary.com/kb/NEWSview.asp?key=123

Wow...just wow.
default_no.gif

What a poor excuse for a human being. I'd love to put one of those severe bits he has in his mouth and break his jaw with one and then strap on some of those long western spurs with sharp rollers and spur his sides as hard as I could for hours on end until...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now doesn't that just leave you speechless.
default_new_shocked.gif
I had heard about this before but this was the first time I actually saw the pictures and affidavits written by the people involved. I hope the AQHA can do something. I certainly agree that whenever your horse is in someone elses care you should make it a point to see them as often as possible.
default_no.gif

Abuse is every where, can tell alot from a trainer at shows, when they are getting horses ready to go into the ring.

I have seen trainers at shows good and bad. Example hitting horse with closed fist, whipping, etc.

Just like your children always, always go unannounced and check up on your horses if at all possible or have someone else go for you in the area.
default_new_shocked.gif

Most references are usually people who have the horse back from the trainers.

I guess we should ask if they have ever gone and checked unannounced.
default_no.gif

You would hope, that with a trainer with impeccable references, you shouldn't have to do spot checks, but there ya go
default_no.gif
I did ask my clients to not visit for the first 30 days as a rule. It wasn't that there was EVER anything wrong, just that "Mama and Daddy SAVE ME from the lady that makes me break a sweat!" The lap brats always turned right back into lap brats the second they saw Mommy or Daddy...and they were allowed to be lap brats at in my barn too, as long as they didn't have a halter on
default_wink.png
The worst anyone would have found at our place was a stall that had not been picked out yet or that I hadn't had a shower yet.

Yes.......abuse happens EVERYWHERE.........as Reble said.

When we used trainers, we spot checked every single one of them. We only had one who I questioned with his tactics prior to our horse going into its class. He didn't know I was watching....... She was pulled from him after that show. (This was over 10 years ago.)

For me, one of the ways I judged on whether or not the horse was ever to be used again, was if the horse's personality was changed when it came home. Was it depressed? Jumpy? Head Shy? Even with "spot checks" one may not witness anything, but the HORSE will tell you by their behavior.

The above link of the big horse was HORRIBLE and an extreme example of abuse...... It will be interesting to hear what the trainer says.......There IS always the possibility that it was done by an employee, however the trainer should be on top of things like that too!

Thank you for posting this. My cousin has a reining horse in training with a supposedly big name trainer in that area. Don't know if it is him or not, I forwarded this info onto them just in case. It is a shame that soemone who is supposed to be so knowledgeable about horses could do something like this.

Thank you for posting this. My cousin has a reining horse in training with a supposedly big name trainer in that area. Don't know if it is him or not, I forwarded this info onto them just in case. It is a shame that soemone who is supposed to be so knowledgeable about horses could do something like this.

The trainer's name is Cleve Wells.

Cleve has been training western pleasure horses - and winning - for many years. He's been at the top of the game.....but this is not the first time I've heard allegations of abuse. Whether he was directly responsible, or whether it was an assistant it's reprehensible.

Jan

I'm appalled---plain and simple.

I have a quarter horse mare here that needs retraining, and now the thought of putting her in someone elses hands makes me cringe.

It doesn't matter the breed or level of training. No trainer should ever be allowed to inflict that upon any horse. Any proper trainer worth a grain of salt would not treat a horse like that either.
default_deadhorse2.gif

That is some of the worst abuse I have had the displeasure of seeing in a long time. I hope charges are laid.

default_no.gif

In my opinion if a person has to resort to cruelty to 'train' a horse that person should NOT be training horses.

My riding mare was abused some time in her past. She hates having her ears touched and her tongue has been cut completely through. My vet and farrier said it was done by a severe bit.

I just can't imagine.
default_no.gif

His name is on the site that PonyArab linked. It's in the public pdf. letters from the vets and owner.

Thanks for pointing that out Matt. It certainly looks like they have a well documented case. It appears that they're prepared to pursue some kind of action. I certainly hope they follow through with it!

To be fair, the title here should be Horse abused at well known trainers barn, since it isnt clear if the trainer did the abuse,

Everyone should ALWAYS, always always, always! Show up unannounced at any training facility that they have critters at, dog, horse or otherwise. If trainer doesnt allow that, then go elsewhere.

We have a local trainer ( well, he did this a decade ago, dont know if he still does) whose place it set well back from the road. He always knew when someone was coming up and could easily change his strategy. Such as taking off the rediculous headstall and hiding it over the backside of the round pen so it couldnt be seen.

So sad for this horse, hope they figure it all out and hope it 'just' was negligence on an employees part.

If it was not the trainers fault than why did he not get a hold of the owner of the horse and explain, by them finding their horse in this situation is not OK

Trainer is at fault also, does not matter who did the crime. he must have known and seen the horse
default_new_shocked.gif

SOMEONE hurt this horse, the horse clearly couldn't have done this to himself. These injuries occurred long enough ago for scabs and infection to occur, and SOMEONE didn't treat them, or get them treated. SOMEONE has been underfeeding this horse. SOMEONE tied the horse so short, that it couldn't reach the food and water in its stall. This combination of abuse and neglect has been going on for some time. Whether Mr. Big Name Trainer was even there to see what was happening or not, it's his place, his responsibility. These people were paying Mr. Big Name Trainer's fees for the care and training of their horse. I don't expect every trainer to personally do all the work on every animal in their barn, nobody has that much time! But by employing someone else to do the work, Mr. Big Name Trainer is, in effect, sanctioning the methods his employees use. Claiming not to have knowledge that this was going on wouldn't fly with me, if he didn't know, he should have. I'm so glad that these people found out about it in time to rescue the horse and get him treatment, whether he will recover enough (mentally and physically) to be useful remains to be seen.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back