Horizontal crack/hole in hoof wall...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrown

Reaction score
Today I noticed a horizontal crack in Skip's hind hoof, about 2/3 the way down. It is bruised/pink above the crack. It's pretty shallow, no more than 1/4", and the area isn't warm. Nothing is coming out of the crack. It doesn't seem to be bothering her in the least- she's not lame or sore, and when I was poking and prodding it, she didn't react at all (she's very sensitive and usually lets me know clearly when something's hurting her). I forgot to take a picture, but it looks like this: http://www.abchoofcare.com/images/bulletcrackbefore426.jpg But it's much smaller, about 1/2" long, and doesn't look this deep. Any thoughts on what this could be, or what caused it? The girls just moved to a new paddock where they have to go up a ramp to get into their shelter, and they seemed a bit clumsy at first when they were getting the hang of it... maybe Skip tripped or somehow nicked that part of her hoof? Could it be an abscess? It's not bothering her, so I'm not sure if I should try soaking in epsom salt or something similar to treat it. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Without seeing a picture of her actual crack, and just going on your description, I'd probably just leave it alone; but keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get bigger (if you are worried, have your farrier check it out next time he's there). More often than not, cracks/cuts like this in the hoof are caused by damage/injury to the coronary band that had then grown out (down the hoof).

Without seeing a picture of her actual crack, and just going on your description, I'd probably just leave it alone; but keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get bigger (if you are worried, have your farrier check it out next time he's there). More often than not, cracks/cuts like this in the hoof are caused by damage/injury to the coronary band that had then grown out (down the hoof).
Thank you chandab
default_smile.png
I've been doing some searching online, and also read that these things are often caused by coronet band injuries- but I am sure that this is recent, since it's pretty far down her hoof, and I handle her hooves and check her over almost daily. I will just continue to keep an eye on her- she'll probably be rolling her eyes at me soon for being a worrywart.

Its possible that the coronary band was just bruised, which then grew down the hoof wall, and just now cracked open for lack of a better term. Just watch it, and have your farrier check it when he comes next.

Its possible that the coronary band was just bruised, which then grew down the hoof wall, and just now cracked open for lack of a better term. Just watch it, and have your farrier check it when he comes next.
Oh, I see what you mean- I didn't think of that
default_doh.gif
That makes sense! Will definitely keep checking on it.

The most common reason I've seen things exactly like that is when an abscess erupts out of the coronet band. Often, abscesses burst out the top, where the tissue is soft, if a farrier can't open it from the sole. I've seen many many abscesses find their path of least resistance this way.

The good news is that this is now an old scar in the hoof that simply needs to grow out and shouldn't require any further treatment.

yup, abscesses cause these, as well as trauma to the cornet but it was more likely to be an abscess. Usually with one that big, you'd have noticed the abscess but it would have been at least several weeks ago. I had one horse take 2 years to grow it out completely so it could have been as long as months ago.

You shouldn't have any trouble with it til it gets to the end of the hoof and most of the time that isn't a problem either. Sometimes though, the piece of hoof under the crack will break off and if it breaks off too short you may have a day or two of tenderness but usually that last only a few days.

hoof1.jpg

Okay, remembered to take a pic today. It's pretty low, but the bottom of her hoof in that area looks totally normal. Still doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, so I think I got lucky
default_smile.png
I'll watch it as it grows out, but I think for now she's fine. Thanks everyone!

Looks like anohter trim or two and it'll probably be gone or nearly gone. It might chip out when it gets close enough to ground level, but even then probably won't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back