hoof troubles - thrush and limping???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
I wanted to get a couple of opinions on my mare Dolly's hoof. I had her feet trimmed 1.5 weeks ago (last thursday) and the ferrier said she had mild thrush in her front left hoof and back left hoof. My younger mare Baby also had it in her two back hooves. Ferrier told me to use 1/3 bleach and water sprayed on their freshly cleaned hooves every other day for one week, then twice a week for two weeks. The hooves don't smell bad other than, well horse feet - they do step in poo
default_wink.png
. I did notice some blackish dirt deep within the crevice along the frog but it's almost all cleared up. I have been really sticking to the schedule and clean their hooves everyday anyhow. I noticed about four days after the trim, Dolly started to limp a little. I couldn't tell which foot was giving her troubles it was so slight and once she was brought out of her stall and the barn and into the pasture it seemed to work itself out. Over the past few days, it has gotten worse and now I can tell it's her front hoof and as of today she doesn't want to let me pick it up to clean it for long (when she usually isn't flinchy at all and a very well mannered horse). There isn't a particular spot that seems sensitive, nor is there anything stuck inside. She does have a very deep crevice around her frog, which I don't know enough about horses to know if it's normal. Some parts of her frog are leathery and tattered. After a minute, she stomps her foot down instead of just letting me do whatever like she usually does. Maybe I can get a picture to post.

Now, let me also mention it has suddenly turned about 20 degrees colder than average and been raining/wet and she is an 18 year old. There has been a bit of mud but it's just a little maybe 8 foot patch they walk through to get inside the barn I don't know if it's the cold or if she hurt her hoof in the slick grass or the mud, or if the thrush is deep set into her hoof and causing her pain? I will probably call the vet to look at her but it sometimes takes her a full day or two to get out to me.

There could be several things going on with your mare. Here is what my husband said, he is a AFA certified journeyman farrier and works closely with several vets:

1) if you can push and prod the frog area where the thrush is located and your mare does not act sensitive to having that done then more than likely it is not the thrush that is cauing her to limp.

2) when holding the one foot up, you said that she was cranky and wanting to put her foot down, that could be an indication that it is hurting her to stand on the other foot.

3) your mare could also be exhibiting some mild laminitis, this would be something that your vet could check.

4) with your mares age and the extreme weather change your mare may just be exhibiting some soreness due to arthritis in her joints.

Also, be very very careful using bleach on your horse's hooves. NEVER soak a horse's foot in bleach, even dilute bleach. There are many excellent products made for treating thrush that are safer to use and very effective. Koppertox is availabe at many feed stores, Tractor Supply, online equine supples, etc. and it is specifically for treating thrush. Another product is Thrush Buster.

I am NOT a fan of using bleach... although you CAN use bleach, there are a LOT better products out on the market now! ThrushBuster and Kopertox are personal favorites of mine (I prefer the ThrushBuster, but if the area is super muddy that the horse lives in, the Kopertox is more waterproof.)

For soaking thrushy feet, very very warm water and epsom salt (1 cup per gallon) works well for drying out the feet.

If you can, buy dry cow mastitis treatment (Quartermaster, GoDry, Tomorrow, other brand names) and put that in the thrushy feet. Works like magic to clear up bad cases! (I have purchased Quartermaster and GoDry from nasco.com)...

It can make them sore... the thrush really can eat into sensitive tissue...

Good luck,

Andrea

ask your vet if they have these. or go to www.hoofsolutions.com

then get the poultice pack, but ask for the mini size. and get two more poultice pads.

these work like a miracle, I swear, I used them on my 2 yr old and could not believe what improvements happened so quickly.

I now put these on all my horses one time a month, the wraps are washable and reusable, just buy a new poultice pad.

For solutions to thrush and fungus hoof problems read this page:http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/Thrush/ThrushRevisited.html I always end up with new horses who have had no hoof care, so I use the Lysol Soak method for three or four days, pick the hoof out, scrub with Dawn dishsoap mixed in warm water, put on soak boots, mix 1/8 cup of Lysol with 1/4 gallon of warm water (or 1/4 cup in 1/2 gallon, I use an old milk jug), soak 30 minutes, dry with rag, and coat hoof with desitin or generic desitin. It works to reach deep thrush that is into the frog, and sole, fungus in the bulbs which you can't see, and yes thrush and fungus infections will lame a horse if it is bad enough. I pick hooves daily now, and another great remedy that is easy on tissues is Thrushbuster, and/or Pete Ramey's Goo. The Goo is a mixture of (can use generics) Clotimazole 1% (ingredient in most Athlete's foot creams), mixed equally in a bowl with Neosporin. Load it into a 60cc syringe. Then when you go out to clean hooves, inject this stuff into the central sulcis crack in the center of the frog, and along the collateral grooves along the frog. Dirt will layer on top, and then the next day repeat. I do the soak first, then use the goo or Thrushbuster, or in the last horse I brought home, one then the other, then alternate until new growth begins. Visit www.hoofrehab.com to learn from the articles Pete Ramey has there. He also has a great book out, he is trying to make owners of large horses learn how to convert their riding horses from shoes to barefoot. I have had many mustangs and I know from experience that barefoot is better, and it compliments my minis care. My farrier is a certified barefoot trimmer, and (lucky me) he first learned on minis! It took me a long time to find a decent farrier. He just moved here.
default_biggrin.png
My lame mare is now 100% using these methods. Good luck!

Since your farrier said it was MILD thrush, I would think it is the bleach that that is causing the pain. My farrier told me bleach (even diluted) is too harsh and will burn sensitive areas.

I've had all kinds of caustic remedies suggested for thrush or sole abscess, but the best thing I've found is Thrush-Off. Very effective but will not burn, safe and gentle on live tissue. It's in some of the mail order catalogs or you can find it at www.well-horse.com As mentioned, there are several things that could be going on - if you don't see significant improvement I would have the vet take a look just to be on the safe side.
default_smile.png

Jan

Latest posts

Back