Honey We're Killing The Kids

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon

Reaction score
Have any of you seen this show? It takes a family that is overweight and show's what the kids will look like when they turn 40 if they continue eating like they are now. The family has to go through their cupboards/refrig., etc. and get rid of anything and everything that is fattening. Of course they make them exercise, stop watching TV (except an hour a day). It's pretty good and amazing how family's eat now a days!

I'm sitting here today thinking "I'm Fat"! (Well, I usually think that every day) Actually I've always been a yo-yo as far as weight goes. Right now I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I just went through my cabinets and refrigerator and got rid of everything! I called my daughter and she's going to come get everything and give it to a lady that works with her that's having a hard time buying groceries. It's not all bad, lots of can goods that I had several of because I don't actually keep a very organized pantry and didn't know I had 6 cans of Refried Beans!! Anyway I'm so excited about my clean cabinets!! Hehehehe. Now if I can just get outside and go for a walk when it gets cooler later this evening.

Does anyone have any good diet tips? What helped you lose weight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exercise more.

Read labels and compare. For example I would far rather have a slice of really good hazelnut bread (200 calories) w/some smart balance (instead of butter I love this stuff my whole family uses it now) and raspberry jam comes to about 300 calories instead of a slice of cake or something and it's actually fairly healthy w/flax seeds, whole grains, etc.

Think about the food value in what we eat. A handful of potato chips or whatever is not going to "kill" the diet as long as it's just once a day or every couple of days. Don't deprive yourself of everything or you'll be more likely to mess up bigtime.

I drink lots of water and try to exercise about 30 min. per day have lost 40 lb. since last Summer and still have more to go but it's happening slowly but surely, lots slower now that there's less to lose though.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I've watched that show a few times it's interesting and I know in many cases it's easier to start kids out and keep them on a reasonable, healthy track as far as eating habits than to correct later, so I've always tried to be vigilant in that respect w/my boys. Shocks me what they find on those shows, though, some of those kids have rarely SEEN a vegetable let alone eaten one but I dont' always agree w/the diet choices they give the families (yuck I would not eat some of that seafood they laid out in front of the one) it just makes them more prone to relapse if they are involved and difficult/expensive recipes as opposed to simple and healthy, convenient foods/choices. Great concept though!

Liz

I've been on a diet for about 2 weeks now.

I dont exersize, what i do with the horses makes up my exersize time! Cleaning stalls, running horses, taking horses over jumps in hand =allot of running, carrying feed plus all the walking burns more calories then walking on a treadmill for 1/2 in my mind.

I dont drink pop anymore, i stopped that a month ago. Milk & Water is all i drink basically, and orange juice. I normally dont eat breakfast and i just try to eat things that are healthy. Those Lean Quizine (sp?) things are what i eat for dinner and there pretty filling.

If i want to snack, we always have Apple Sauce.

I'm trying to shed a few extra pounds too, so far in the last 2 weeks i've lose 8 pounds not really trying.

I had to quit drinking pop and sugar products because it affects my personality. I'm VERY moody when i drink pop or have allot of sugar that is in pop. About 5 days after i stopped i noticed i was allot happier and mood swings were gone (for the most part
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Leeana H.

That show kicked me in the behind! I do not have much junk in the house and try to eat really healthy but I have 1 son who eats what the other boys eat yet he is heavy
default_sad.png
We did go to the ped and his blood tests were fine (my dad had a heart attack at 39 which is why I really try to watch it!) MJ wants to play midget football this year and HAS to be able to run a mile so starting tonight we headed to the track for a walk/jog until we can get up to jog the entire mile (we are making a game of it) and we added lots of water NO soda and exercise and perhaps he can drop the 10 pounds he needs to and may make better food choices when he "feels" better. (He has "boy boobs" and mean kids make a point to tell him (brothers are the worst - at least they get in trouble for it!)

I'm trying to shed a few extra pounds too, so far in the last 2 weeks i've lose 8 pounds not really trying.

I had to quit drinking pop and sugar products because it affects my personality. I'm VERY moody when i drink pop or have allot of sugar that is in pop. About 5 days after i stopped i noticed i was allot happier and mood swings were gone (for the most part
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Leeana H.
Wow Good for you!

I am low carbing. I find it the easiest "diet" to stick to. I find I have lots of energy and feel a lot better.

It is not for every one but it is working for me.

Even if I stop losing weight I will try to continue it since I feel so much better with out the sugar, wheats, and starchs.

Eat when you are hungry.

Stop when you are full.

That's it, really.

I lost over 28lbs in - oh I do not really know, not long though.

I had NEVER dieted in my life, I had never needed to and the extra weight was solid and set to stay- I had the devil's own job convincing it to go!!!
default_smile.png

The hardest thing for me, having grown up with post war rationing still in place, was actually leaving food on my plate, but I have become better at judging portions, now, and so there is very little waste.

In this really hot weather we are having (it was pushing 100 yesterday) I sometimes do not even eat an evening meal per se- I have lots of salad in the fridge and I'll make myself a sandwich.

It would be far more difficult if I had a family to feed, I know.

I am lucky in that I have no incentive to "clear up" after kids and no need to cook big meals.

So, with a family around it would take more will power- clear out all the snacks and make a "NO snacks before or after a meal" one hour exclusion zone!!!

Of course I did not grow up with snacks available so I was AWFUL with the kids- they always had snacks around, but they never got fat- I do think metabolism has a lot to answer for!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was mean to my children. They didn't have a drink of soda until around 7 or so, and the only candy they got was a dum dum sucker once in a while.

Now they are 14 and 13 and eat more fruit than i can keep up with and my son drinks about 3 gallons of milk a week. They like Dr. pepper now, but mostly drink sprite. I think they are junk food junkies because I gave them alot of fruit and veggies.

I think most weight issues have to do with metabolism though, so they are lucky.

Good luck on your diets everyone, since I am lazy about diets and just take SlimQuick!

When I traveled to Belarus (Eastern Europe) last year you should have seen the amount of food these people ate and how skinny they were! It's not necissarily how much food or what types of food (they were eating tons and tons of carbs) but the fact that it's all REAL food. Nothing "fake", no chemicals, it wasn't junk. And they stopped eating when THEY were full. But the biggy, the thing that I think really makes the difference is that they walked everywhere and often too. Most people in Belarus don't have a car and if you do, you only use it for long trips. People had to walk to get their food (which by the way, wasn't all in one place, you had the bakery, the butcher, ect.), people had to walk to see eachother, to buy clothing, to go to the park, everywhere and then, after all that walking, they had to climb the 5 flights of steps back to their apartment! So what I'm saying is not to starve yourself or stress yourself out with counting carbs and all that and not to run a marathon or spend thosands on excersise machines but to eat healthier, fresh foods and to move, move, move!!

Exercise is key. A minimum of 10,000 steps a day. Having horses sure helps.
default_yes.gif
:

Having horses definitely helps.

We live out in the country and raise cattle, so as far as my husband is concerned the cattle come first as they are our income. So, my horses are not too close; they are on the other side of the calving corrals and working corrals. So, my feed shed is at one end of the yard and the horse corrals at the other; a good 300-400 yards between plus the horses winter corral is about 300 yards long and I let them out the far gate onto pasture in the morning and bring them in at night. So, minimum I walk 1200 yards twice a day; doesn't include all the other times I trek out there to check on them, move hay, and etc. I get a little less exercise in the winter as the horses stay in their corral, as the pasture is used for hay storage in winter.

My minis are about 200 feet from the house, but the full-size horses are another 300 feet or so beyond that; so it keeps me walking. PLus I don't have a water hydrant at the minis corral, so I haul water; summer I have an ATV cart with water barrels, but in the winter I haul from the horse pasture hydrant (300 feet or so away).

You'd think I'd be skinnier than I am. :lol:

I watched part of that show one time. Made me sick. I considered how the parents were raising their children on that particular show was absolutely criminal. Those kids had no chance at a healthy life the way the parents ate and smoked around them. :no: One of the kids had asthma and the parent smoked around them in the house all the time. :no: I have a child with asthma and could NEVER do that! Fed them nothing but processed foods and plenty of it. Shame on them. :no:

I know that I've got to start walking/exercising more and that is one of my biggest problems! We have eight acres and my mom lives catty corner to us, my daughter and family lives straight across in the other corner and do you think I'd walk to visit them! Absolutely not! But I'm going to start making myself get out and walk more. I guess I could walk to the grocery store but it might take me awhile seeing as it's about seven miles one way!
default_wacko.png
:

My daughter hasn't come to pick up the food still sitting on my table and I've caught myself going through the sacks thinking "Oh I think I'll keep that bag of cookies". Well, this is it! If the European women can do it I guess I can do it too.

Thanks for all the idea's and tips. I can do it ~ I can do it ~ I can do it........................

I've watched the show. I watched another show that said sugar does age you a lot.

When I was pregnant with my first child I had gestational diabetes. They sent me to a nutritionist and put me on a 2000 calorie ADA diet. First thing they discussed was the portion sizes. Then they talked about the sugar in sodas. OH MY! I had no idea. It was a full test tube of sugar in one can of soda. I wasn't allowed to drink any caffeine since the beginning of my pregnancy so I had stopped drinking sodas. Just think what's in the bigger bottles of soda. It's no wonder I had gained weight through the years.

My husband decided to do the diet(which I like to call eating healthier) and he lost a lot of weight in the first 30 days. I continued to eat that way after my pregnancy. I went from 169 to 125 in 6 weeks(now granted 25 lbs. went pretty quickly with the baby),but when I went to my follow up with my dr. he couldn't believe the changes.

Now that I'm pregnant again I'm going back to eating that way.

Latest posts

Back