Honey in tricktraining

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
img0014small5pg.jpg

Kick

img0048small7yf.jpg

Kneel (??)

img0051small4od.jpg

lay down

img0061small9az.jpg

sit

img0063small7sj.jpg

Kneeling down on two legs

img0068small6gz.jpg

In show outfit

DSC_2716.jpg

Should make some new pictures soon, these are a bit old ;)

She's very pretty. I'm curious- how did you teach her to lie flat out on her side? And did you teach the sit from lying down or from the stand? Very nice pictures, you have a talented little girl!

GREAT Looks like you are a good trainer! She doesn;t seem to mind at all, and she is doing it all without even a halter on! Good for both of you!
default_aktion033.gif
As for the one you called kneeling, most people call that one taking a bow.
default_yes.gif

Very cool!
default_aktion033.gif
I taught Kody some of those last year and hope to master the kneel on both legs, lay down, sit up and pirouette on the hind legs this winter as well as some pedestal work, assuming I can ever get a pedestal built.
default_rolleyes.gif
He already rears, shakes hands, gives kisses, steals gloves (that one was his own invention
default_wink.png
), picks them up and gives them back to me (that one was MY idea), plays soccer, and somewhat bows although he isn't fond of that one. And of course we do all our showmanship and halter work off-lead so he squares up off hand cues and pivots, sidepasses, etc.

It's so much fun! Also keeps little minds out of trouble over the long cold winter when we can't drive. (We won't get into whose little minds we're talking about. *LOL*

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
She's very pretty. I'm curious- how did you teach her to lie flat out on her side? And did you teach the sit from lying down or from the stand? Very nice pictures, you have a talented little girl!
I tought her to lie down normal first. Than I sit beside her, put my hand on the side of her neck, and say down again. While learning I did hold her front leg in an easy way down because she was a bit confused and thought she had to stand up again. Sitting she learned from lying down. I have not yet found a way to teach them to sit from standing without using ropes to pull the hind legs from under the body, and that is not a way liberty training works.

She kan also play dead...

IM001138.jpg

Horrible picture, but it gives an idea

Mona, She can also take a bow, but take a bow is different.

Don't have a picture of Honey doing that, so here an example of my haflinger Jamaica taking a bow.

img0110small5sl.jpg

She can also do a spanish walk

img0073small2de.jpg

And she rears

img0084small0vo.jpg

img0099small0gv.jpg

Hobbyhorse: It's only fun if they do things on their own, than you can place a commando to it and you have something new.

Jamaica was alway's begging for food in the stable by putting her head up and down (like she knodded "yes"

So know when I say: Are you a good girl? She says yes ;)

You are VERY TALENTED!!!! Do you make money doing this? I think you could make a CD on trick training your horse, market it and make a few bucks!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Joyce

OH OH...if you make a video on training , I would really like to buy one. Your Shetland is very nice!! I really like her. I have a month off in November , I would really like to do something like that, or at least get started. Recomend a book to help me? You have done a great job

I did enjoy these photos!

Do you think that it depends greatly on the horse's temperament to readily teach, or is it mostly the skill, perseverance and patience of the trainer?

You and your two obviously obvously have what it takes!

Wonderful pictures!! You sure do a fine job of training them. If you made a training CD I would buy it!!

Whow!

Thank you all for these reply's.

I'm not a pro, It's just something I started with Honey (shetland) when I got to big for her to ride her. I used to do shows and demonstrations, but since I don't own a trailer I had to stop. It's very hard for me to get to other places with the horses.

I work with three basic principles: Patience, Trust, and respect.

Some horses learn very fast, some don't. I think a lot is due to the training.

I think every healthy horse can learn these things, if you work by the three principles. Some people don't have patience. Than, don't start doing this (in fact, maybe you shouldn't work with animals at all)

I see that the haflinger is much more slower that the shetland, so it also depends per horse.

Krissy, I know about one book that is dutch. There is another one by Nathalie Penquit wich I think (not sure) should also be availeble in German, since she is german.

I don't make money with it, just a hobby and nice to do on rainy days.

I'm happy to awnser any questions in my best english, you can also invite me on MSN if you want to know more, but!... I don't see myself as a wonderfull person who knows everything.

Just having fun with my horses.

Ouburgia said:
She can also do a spanish walk
img0073small2de.jpg

And she rears

img0084small0vo.jpg

img0099small0gv.jpg

Hobbyhorse: It's only fun if they do things on their own
Very impressive! I mean it, you've really gone beyond the typical stable tricks and into the full repertoire.
default_wub.png
Waaaay better than I've done so far.
default_aktion033.gif
I agree that it absolutely has to be fun for both horse and handler or it's no good. I use clicker training (thanks to ClickMini on the forum here) so the horse is usually participating fully and loves his job.

On the bowing/going down on one knee, how do you build duration on that behavior? We're making progress but my gelding still goes down and then wants to pop right back up. I'd love to hear what worked for other people. Once he's down on both knees he'll stay and it's pretty easy to get him to lie down from there but we've got issues with the one-legged thing.
default_rolleyes.gif
He's very flexible through the shoulders and I only ask him to do it on deep soft footing so I don't think it's discomfort.

Thanks!

Leia

P.S.- Jamaica is a lovely horse.
default_yes.gif

You have taught some very cool looking tricks, especially the spanish walk and rear. I've always wanted to teach my horse trick training. I even bought a book on it and tried to teach my horse to bow. Unfortuntely my horse didn't like the method that was recommended in the book: wrapping a rope around his foot, draping it over his back, and gently applying pressure until he would relax and kneel. All he did was balance very well and quite stubbornly on three feet and I felt so bad about trying to make him go down, I couldn't try it anymore. And it ended up making him leg shy on one of his legs. Now the closet thing to a trick he does is pick his front feet up on command so I can hoofpick him.

Hobbyhorse: I think I would teach youre gelding the command "stay" first. Just get him in the paddock or something, gove the command "stay", walk a few feet away from him, and see if he stay's just where you told him to stay. If he stay's, easy walk back towards him and let him know he is a very good boy! If he doesn't stay. Walk towards him. Ignore that he did walk away (don't punnish him!!!) Place him back to the place where you gave the command and ask again. Work this out untill he understands what you mean by "stay". When he understands this you can use it when he's down on one knee (we call this a "compliment" ) and than give the command "stay" again. It takes a lot of patience. Jamaica is still not getting the compliment after several years. I have the feeling that she just doesn't see the point. She alway's looks at me like: "ok, and why should I do that?" ;)

It's very hard to say what to do from behind a computer, cause I can''t see wat might be going wrong.

Minihunter: I know what method you mean. Even saw it in a show once!!! What I do: I take one front feet in my hand, some feed (grane or something) in my other hand. I support the feet, and ask the horse if he will take the feed from next to the shoulder of the bended leg. Easy, step by step.

If that doesnt work you can put a halter on, with a lead you attatch like they were reins (for riding).

again pick up the feet, and gentley!!!!! put presure on the nose, like asking him to go back. The moment he/she even moves his/her weight to the hind legs, stop the pressure, and tell him he's a good boy. Work this out, untill he gets down.

Again: patience!

I rather train new things like 5 times a day for ten minutes than one time an hour. It's very hard (especcialy for younger horses) to "hold their mind and focus" with us.

That's also a key thing. The horse MUST be focussed on you. If they look at a bird flying over, first ask the focus again

Latest posts

Back