Homemade Harness Rack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candycar

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for some way to store my harness. So here is the harness rack I made. You only need 1 bucket and 1 small coffee can, a couple of screws and some foam shelf liner. I thought it was a pretty clever idea. It's not pretty, but it does the job. Cheap and easy. Keeps the saddle, breast collar and breeching in shape.

I don't have a tack room, only a garage that is somewhat climate controlled. Wall space is prime realstate! This one was stuck behind a closet door, I would have made it bigger, with the whole bucket length, but didn't have the room! I actually keep 1 harness, 1 training surcingle and 2 bridles on it.
default_laugh.png
When not in use I can throw a towel over the whole mess to keep the dust off. Hope y'all find it worthy to post.....

2009Jun05001.jpg

2009Jun05003.jpg

I think it's quite a clever idea. Here's an expansion of the idea: wrap electrician's tape or duct tape around the cut edge of the bucket so you won't accidentally scrape yourself on the sharp edge. Thanks for sharing!

I like it! I'm looking for something to put my training harnesses on in the barn. This is a great idea!

I LOVE innovative ways to reuse stuff for horse. Thats for sharing. I think I need to make one this next week! You could even keep little things in the coffee can, extra bits etc!

I'm going to make one of these too!

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you use to cut the bucket? A hack saw? And what kind of bucket did you use?

Thanks
default_smile.png

We used a recipricating(sp) saw, but a hack saw or jigsaw would work also. Get extra hands to help hold it. The bucket was just some old one we had. Any stiff 3/5gal bucket will do. They have them at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, TSC etc.

Glad you like the idea
default_saludando.gif
and I do store stuff in the can!

That's really a great idea! Reminds me of the "saddle racks" where I used to board. She used the big buckets with screw on lids (hubby worked for a pool company and the bucket was one chemicals come in). Screw the bottom onto the wall (recommend screwing through a piece of wood for strength), put the lid back on, and you have a saddle rack with storage space for grooming brushes, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a neat invention! You are so very crafty!!! Thanks so much for sharing! Hmmm...looks like I'll be hunting for a bucket this weekend!
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

How creative! It's a wonderful idea! I love things that you can make at home and use things from around the house!

Good job it looks great!

Leya

If you have multiple horses with different harnesses maybe you could paint the bucket with krylon plastic paint to color code what rack was for what horse, or even use different colored shelf liner?

Not to hijack your thread, but for those of us who cant screw something into the wall (I board my horses) how do you store your harnesses?

Latest posts

Back