home made jumps

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
I have worked over the last few days to make a set of jump standards for home practice and am now wondering if anyone can provide some tips on how they have accomplished them.

My biggest problem with my first set is that as much as I measured and really tried to have the holes for the jump cup to attach to the standard is well a little 'drunk' and not a straight line all the way up... any ideas on how to make a template or something else...

I am still proud of my work but
default_wacko.png
driven alittle nuts over not having it perfect

thanks in advance for tips

I bought my jump cups from "Dog Agility" Supplys. They fit on a 2" PVC pipe standard. Each standard is made from 1 4 way cross split (I don't know what they are really called but it looks like an "X"), 1 elbow and pipe for the upright. Oh and caps for all of the open ends to cut down on spiders and bugs that would hide inside the pipe. The elbow goes on the "X" peice and the upright comes out of the elbow. You use PVC glue on it to hold it all together. The cross bar is another 2" PVC pipe with end caps on them. You can then paint them or use colored electrical tape to make them look more like the ones at the shows. I hope this helps.

Same as my mini barns...

I made some jumps that where really cheap and very durable as well.

I took 10 ft of 2" PVC and cut them in half to make 5ft's. I capped 1 half off for the top and keeped the bottem open. Then I took 8 inch carage bolts and drilled them through abouts as high as I wanted my jumps to be. NOTE: I drilled them closer to one side and NOT centered that way I could slide them over a 4ft garden t-post with ease. Also with longer bolts, the jump can rest on them and can easly be knocked off if mini hits one. I took another 5ft piece and capped both ends to make the jump part. MUST USE CAPS to keep bees out! And for fun, I took red duct tape and made stripes on them and went to the $1 store for fake flowers to wrap around them and around 4th of July, little flags to hang from them as well for distractions like you would see in the showring.

Six yrs ago, I made 5 of these jumps which are in a patteren set up in one of my pastures and are awesome to practice with.

MATERIALS: for 5 jumps

8 - 2" 10ft pvc pipes

22 - 2" capes

12 - 8inch carage bolts

24 nuts for carage bolts

10 4ft garden t-posts

1 roll of duct tape or outside paint for strips (optional)

Last edited by a moderator:
We made some with supplies bought from a dog agility company... can't remember the name of the company...

But we got snap on "jump cup strips"

Just made jumps from pvc pipe and joints and snapped the strips on...adjust the height and they are even...

Simple and economical

I have supplies to attempt making some but getting the holes perfect is what isn't turning out quite right.

last night I did try using a home dpt yard stick as a template and that worked alot better - close to perfect but not quite - better than just using a tape measure and marking.

thanks for the tips

I have supplies to attempt making some but getting the holes perfect is what isn't turning out quite right.
last night I did try using a home dpt yard stick as a template and that worked alot better - close to perfect but not quite - better than just using a tape measure and marking.

thanks for the tips
Yep, measure and re-measure and it's still very hard to hold the drill in your hand in get two holes striaght across. I had to ream out one side (sometimes top or bottom or even a side) of some of my holes to get the 2 in each pole level. It makes the hole bigger but it still works. It was messy and far from easy and I wouldn't want to try selling these to make money but it was good enough to practice with. That's what I needed anyway.

Sandee Exactly - and too funny that I said something to a friend of mine about its alot of work and I'm not going into the jump making business anytime son.

I think they will work - my newest idea seems to have helped - its still alittle off but better than the first try.

I tried to up load a pic but it wouldn't let me.

You don't really need jump cups.

Just use clamps -- the kind you squeeze to open and can get at any hardware store.

We use clamps on the practice jump we tote around to shows. Works great. Just slide the clamp up and down the PVC pipe to where you want it.

It's the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to go, and it's worked just fine with our little herd of jumpers.

Latest posts

Back