Home from the hospital

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Okay, I can 'fess up now...

I was recently diagnosed with a large ovarian mass. Blood tests were inconclusive as to whether or not it was cancerous, but the doctor felt strongly that the ovary needed to come out, and since there was a great likelihood of this occuring on the other side, both should come out -- and hey -- while we have you cut open -- we should probably just spay you (no, they didn't put it that way...)

As a type I diabetic, and as one who has had less than stellar treatment from Kaiser Permanente, I was a bit uneasy about going under anesthesia. My surgeon, however, is fantastic and assured me that he, the anesthesiologist, and the anesthesia nurse would be constantly monitoring my blood sugar. (His name is Dr. Cappuccini, so as a coffee addict, I knew I was in good hands!)

I wish I could give an equally positive report on my primary physician, but she couldn't even take the time to call me when I called with questions about insulin dosage for pre-surgery...I got a call from a nurse who had minimal knowledge of diabetes.

So, after a truly delightful day or pre-surgical prep, the deed was done this past Friday afternoon. The whole procedure felt like nothing more than a long afternoon nap, albeit one with a rather painful awakening (I believe my first words on regaining consciousness were along the line of "Oh, sh** that hurts!" although that may be a watered down version...).

Surgeon, nurses, and Keith were all smiles, telling me that the mass was a benign cyst, not cancerous. (They will do further testing, but Dr. Cappuccini felt extremely confident in the pre-staging done during surgery.)

Despite my diabetes, I am fortunate to be a good healer, and this held true here. I was up and walking (though tethered to an IV pole) by that evening, sleepy but joking with the nurses on Saturday, pretty much pain-free, dressed and walking the halls by Sunday, and home Monday afternoon.

Lucky for me, Keith works in the Oregon Health Sciences University day surgery unit, so he's the best possible home caregiver I could wish for, and needless to say, my pet therapy is unequalled!

Despite feeling great, I now have to obey the doctors and avoid lifting anything -- even my tiny Maltese, Billie. Dr. Cappuccini told me that I had to leave stall-mucking and feeding to Keith, that my job was to pet and give treats to my horses...you can see why I like him! My horses seconded this Rx and now think I'm the best person in the world...

And just to reassure those who will see me in person -- I PROMISE not to show off my surgical scar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Susanne! I had no idea what you were going through! I'm so happy the news is good and wish you the speediest possible recovery!!!!

Wish you would of let me know.

But I am glad you made it through that ok. Let me know if you are up to a visitor in the next couple of weeks.
default_wink.png
Or if you need any help. I have two strapping men in the house that can help do odd Farm chores. Hugs

I am also happy the news is good. You had to be going through some major stress. Take care of yourself!

Carol

OMG girl!

You do it up big when you do it! From horse-opoly to spaying???? Geez!

So glad you are okay! Want to see you at some shows this year, and that is not the way to start it!!!!

( Sorry I can't help but invision you do the "flirty girl fitness ' commercial with your IV pole!!!!)

default_biggrin.png
So glad the surgery is over and everything will be okay. Praying that you'll heal quickly and not be in pain. For now, take time for yourself and enjoy all the wonderful care you receive. A good movie or book when you're feeling better. Prayers are there.

God bless,

Joan

I am glad to hear you came thru with flying colors!

Make the most of being banned from stall mucking hahahhaha. What awesome news that it was benign...can't get better news than that.

Keep up the speedy healing
default_biggrin.png

Oh wow Suzanne......you wanted to start your year out with a Bang didn't you?

So happy to hear it all went well..........one of my co-workers was out last month and she told me the same thing, she went to get spayed......haha......guess when you are "animal" people it really just makes sense.
default_smile.png

Take it easy and rest girlfriend........I am sure the horses are thinking you are the best of the best, just make sure you don't do anything the Docs said not to.

Hugs to Keith too, he sounds like such a wonderful guy, so lucky you two are!!

Valerie

Susanne! I'm so glad everything went well!

I had surgery to remove a giant cyst (endometrioma, as it turned out) and the ovary it was attached to about 2 and a half months ago. I have a 10 inch scar that zig zags around my belly button, and I make no such promises to keep it to myself. I mean, come on, it's got a zig zag, that just begs to be shown off! Plus, my belly is lopsided, with a big dent where the big lump used to be.
default_new_shocked.gif

I about went stir crazy when I wasn't allowed to drive and was basically stuck in the house for a month. Even now ... yesterday I flung a bag of garbage into the bin and hurt my belly, had to spend the rest of the day on the couch.

Rest up, heal fast, and let Keith spoil you for a while!! Give Mingus a special cookie from me!

So glad to hear you are feeling and healing well so far! Take it easy and keep up the good work on following doc's orders! I was almost scared to open and read your post, as I am going in first thing Monday morning to be "spayed" as well. I have some cysts in my uterus and in my left ovary, so that will all be removed along with my cervix, but they will be leaving my right ovary. I expect hubby will be taking good care of me afterwards too, but I must admit, I am quite concerned about the dogs jumping on me! YIKES!

default_wub.png
Glad to hear it is all good news and your home and healing!

Mona you behave as well and keep us informed.

Hugs

Bonnie

Thanks, everyone!

Kim, I love the IV pole dance idea -- sounds like good post-op exercise -- not to mention entertainment!

Shari, we'll have to plan something -- right now I'm trying to balance getting caught up on work with not overdoing it!

Mona, do you have a lap desk or breakfast-in-bed tray? Either that or a nice thick pillow have proven to protect against our little dogs and humongous cats.

They warn you against not lifting things, but you also need to be careful how you get up out of bed (roll onto your side, then push yourself up with your arms), coughing, and other little things you never ordinarily think about. Getting into our full-sized van was quite a challenge, but a boost from Keith did the trick.

Wow, you're up making posts on here already! I was planning on giving you a phone call tomorrow.

Glad things went well. I was happy to get that message from Keith the other day.

When you are feeling up to it, Keith and I want a rematch on Horse-opoly. An abbreviated game, at least.
default_saludando.gif

Daryl

Thanks for the advise Susan. I guess I'll have to use the pillow on my stomach. In my pre-anesthetic appointment with my referring doctor on Wednesday, she advised me in a couple of areas, such as coughing deeply when I first wake up, to help prevent pneumonia, and she did say it would hurt, and to hold a pillow against my stomach. She also said to wiggle toes and move feet to get leg circulation going ASAP after waking up, to help prevent blood clots in the legs. She also showed me the way you are describing, on how to get out of bed. Sounds like fun!
default_unsure.png
(OUCH!! I can feel it already!)

I'm so glad it went okay for you and that you are on the mend. How long do the lifting restrictions last? I'm glad you have someone right there to help you out.

I was so glad when Keith called and said all was well. I'm glad to hear the pillow idea is working well for you however as I said on the phone. That would not have worked for me with Shorty. Nothing like a 50 lb pig who wants to lay on you when you are in extreme pain and can't breath or move without pain.

I'm very glad to hear you are doing so well. [SIZE=12pt]Remember follow Dr's orders I don't care how well you feel. [/SIZE]
default_please.gif

On your suggestion I have asked the girls to get Ariel to the barn so we can drive her in the Arena, get that head back on us and have some fun. Hopefully they will do it soon and the season will be ours this year.

Who knows maybe the girls will load her up and take her out in the world and have some fun this year.

Best to you and keep calling when you have the time to talk.

Healing news is good news and you are on the mend
default_saludando.gif
Nothing like a good horsey rub to make you feel good, HUH?
default_rolleyes.gif

Su-SANNE!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
OMG girl, don't scare me like that! I hate it, hate it, hate it when I find out my friends have been down and out and I was not there to support them.
default_no.gif
I'm glad everything is going well and that it was benign. I'd say to tell Keith to take good care of you but I know you couldn't have anyone better.
default_wub.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back