Historical Shetland Ponies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Good Day,

I wanted to start a new thread off of the one about the Life Photos.

On the American Shetland Pony Board.....www.americanshetlandponyforum.com (stop by and visit)

we have at the top of the page a button call "Gallery". Click on that button and scroll down to the Historical Ponies. Click on it and you can look (or add old photo's...Tony?) to our list. As you can see as Tony stated not much has changed from when his family show and raised them as today.

I'm learning so much about the history of our past ponies and I know several more folks who were around like Tony that can add to this wealth of history. Someone asked about braids....braids were in all ponies whether they were the Classic's or Moderns. Now only the Moderns, Modern Pleasure and Show Ponies show in braids. Most of the built up feet are in the Moderns and some of the Show Ponies. If I remember correctly, you didn't see any artifical appliances on those ponies back then as to the reason so much foot. The long foot acted in the same manor when you applied the shoes, pads and yes there were some lead weights put under the pads of the shoe. This was to help with the lift and knee action.

Most of the ponies that were imported back then and bred were the 40-46" range and produced smaller than themselves. Hince the beginning of the miniature horse. Remember the Shetland got a nasty name (yes for those of us that had those mean little ponies in our childhood) because parents turned green untrained children loose on those ponies and the ponies got the upper hand. Same thing still happens today in all breeds including the Shetlands. Our society is just more knowledgeable today about horses in general. Never stop learning.

I really appreciated looking at those "Life" pictures. They are great to take a peek into the past.

Karen

Latest posts

Back