Here's something I've been involved with this past few months...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I will be down at the winter meeting, and will be sure to put my name in the hat for this treasure! I love the raffle!
default_biggrin.png

Me too....

What an awesome piece of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!Amazing he has the talent and patience to bring this to life. I wouldn't be able to do it. It is SO neat though.

You said it, Kim...I halfway ran screaming from the room when we were meeting with some of the people last week when we went to Portland to pick it up and arrange final details.

it's AMAZING how many people don't know how to do their jobs...yet expect you to pay them for it even after you've had to walk them through what they are supposed to do.

Scraping together all the detail alone has been a mountainous task, I knew that much from the moment I looked at it. then he has crusty old Don Marshall telling him this and that and no, and yes, and whoa...we had to stop the presses I don't even know how many times because something would need to be changed.

It actually went to print back in October, but then Bill's van blew up, and his Dad needed to be moved from his trailer to the VA, and and and you know how it goes!

Thanks again, everyone, I will probably copy and paste some of this for when Bill's morale is flagging! ;)

He's still got a few hurdles to clear before he feels ok about it (I think probably having all the debt up front before the $$ comes in is one of the biggies, but he's the kind that second guesses everything, very detail oriented and a perfectionist).

I feel extremely lucky to have been able to share a little bit of the process.

Liz

Liz, that is just so awesome!!! Bill did a wonderful job on this and you can so see how much of his heart and soul is in this huge task!

From one Oregon girl to another, it means the world to me to see something like this done so historically about little old Orygun, and with my husbands love of the water and ships, I may have to entertain buying one of these as a surprise for hubby.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories about this, it really just brings it all to life for me!! Hmmm, must be getting close to time to come visit the Oregon coast.......
default_biggrin.png

Valerie, if you do, it would be great to link up....!
default_smile.png

thanks for the compliments, I have passed these on to Bill...this has been a very frustrating project for many reasons, though he's starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel now and then.

Any of you in the Portland (Oregon of course) area, he's going to be at the gun show at the Portland Expo Center this weekend....you could see him and his work in person. there's lots more than just this! He's really entertaining, and a great person.

Liz

Gloucester Harbour

Fisherman at the Wheel:

Gloucester's most famous landmark, this bronze statue was sculpted by Leonard Craske in 1923. It is located on Stacy Boulevard, overlooking Gloucester Harbor. The statue of a Gloucester fisherman, dressed in oilskins and standing at the wheel of his schooner was designed in heroic size: 1 ½ scale. It is dedicated to the over 10,000 Gloucester fishermen lost at sea since the early 1600's. The base of the statue quotes Psalm 107, "They that go down to the sea in ships."

In September of 2000, the Wall of Remembrance was added to the Fishermen's Memorial. It consists of bronze tablets on granite slabs with the names of approximately 5400 Gloucestermen who were lost at sea and whose remains were not found.

Glo1.jpg

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/maritime/glo.htm

Think I figured out which box has my NE pictures in them...now I just have to figure a way to get to them.

default_rolleyes.gif
Still haven't totally unpacked from the move.

Anyway... this is what I grew up knowing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Liz,

Could you post his web site address again.
default_biggrin.png

Hi, Shari, I have seen that memorial before. I don't know, was it featured in A Perfect Storm?

Those men were from Gloucester, weren't they? they were Swordfishers, which is similar to Tuna fishing, here, in that they fish very far from shore, and use longline gear to do so.

We have a fishermen's memorial here, too. It is in Uniontown right beneath the Megler bridge. We held my nephew's memorial there, man, it is hard to believe that was two years ago, and it was every bit as cold as it is, now. So many people were there...

Thanks for sharing the link.

Bill's website address (we are in the process of putting together a web update as soon as his web admin is ready to sit down with us/him) is:

NW Limited...History in Vogue

Thanks, also, for all the admiration. He was appreciating reading them, yesterday, especially considering this Forum is worldwide.

Liz

WOW, Liz!
default_new_shocked.gif

That is amazing! I love all of the history of the Oregon & Washington coast. Camping at Fort Stevens every year with Cub Scouts, the whole area was full of mystery. It still is! Always loved to bike to the Peter Iredale wreck.

Susanne, its about time we do another road trip to Astoria again!

I'd love to get one of those for myself.

Daryl

PS I was thinking of posting this on thegoonies.org, but I'll wait on that. I'm sure everyone there would go nuts about it, too.

Heya, Daryl, yes, it has a connection to Goonies as you can imagine.

Good to see you!

C'mon down!!!
default_smile.png

If you would like to have one in the meantime, you can contact Bill through his website. Or call, of course.

Liz

Liz,,, is really sad...but I do not remember! :DOH!

Did not watch the "perfect storm" movie because I remember family not coming back as a child. Just do not think I could handle watching it.

Everyone fishes out...way out in the Atlantic from Gloucester Harbor, there has not been lobster or any kind of fishing nearer in, since I was a very young.

I remember one of the times going out to Lobster with my Uncle and we had to turn back in because of the heavy fog and seas. Dangerous thing the Atlantic.

Shari, yes, it is sad. There is a boat here that looks exactly like the Andrea Gail. The end scenes, while speculation, are very likely scenarios.

I run through in my mind fairly often, the last few minutes of my nephew. It is odd that I was outside walking to the barn while he was struggling for his life under the same stars (it was 1:00 in the a.m. on Feb. 7, not a time of night most people are outside, let alone up on a Tuesday a.m.). I know in my heart that he had no idea he would not make it through that event, that is just how he was. He kept fighting until the lights went out.

The shipwrecks ARE a source of great mystery. Daryl, I bet you would like some of the extra material that will be on this chart in the framed variation. There is reference to the Beeswax Wreck of Nehalem, which is likely to be one of two Spanish Galleons. Carbon dating has it narrowed down, but tsunamis and human influence as well as other natural forces, have made it difficult to differentiate. The Beeswax Project is planning a dive this May to see if they can come closer to solving the mystery of that as well as the Mimi, which is in the general area.

We went to the Peter Iredale yesterday, and the storms have unearthed so much more of her skeleton than is usually visible. it is a GREAT time to see her as you can see all her framework below decks (what would have been there, anyway), her rudder and mast posts. It truly is eerie to step inside the outline of her hull, even though noone died aboard, and her arrival at that point is a bit uneventful, it is captivating history. She arrived in October of 1906...as I'm sure you know.
default_smile.png

Not many old wrecks can you actually see anymore. There's a great exhibit over at Ilwaco at the Cape Disappointment Interpretive Center called "River of Lost Ships."

Liz

Since the recent storms have uncovered more of the Peter Iredale shipwreck at Ft. Stevens (I've driven my horses around this wreck on a few occasions!), I thought I'd post the photos we took Monday and Tuesday...this is the only shipwreck on the chart that's easily visible, and recognizable as what it was, though that's changing!

peteriredale12008sm.jpg

Taken from the stern (the post in the foreground is from the rudder, which is mostly buried in the sand), looking northward.

iredalebow08.jpg

The bow portion. I can remember climbing all over this for as far back as I can remember.

iredalesurf.jpg

Here she is inundated in a heavy surf. This photo was taken by another person a few years ago, as far as I can tell. Once upon a time, she had four masts and was 285 long, weighing over 2000 tons.

And this photo shows what she looked like just after she was stranded in October of 1906:

Peter_iredale_in_sand.jpg

Here are some photos we took last night from the same location. These show the boat (called the Majestick) that my husband Martin is crabbing on, right now:

majestickevening.jpg

The next one is at sunset, and you can see the three men right behind the "house" on the deck, silhouetted. My husband is the one towards the back, most likely.

majesticksunset.jpg

They were very near the beach running their shallow gear. There was a mere 1 fathom (6 feet) of water beneath the boat when these were taken.

This recent spate of calm weather has lured several boats in close to shore to lay their pots, and I noticed last night that there were several groundings/beached boats that had to be towed back off the beach. It is a strange thing to see a fishing boat lying helplessly in the sand. It's happened fairly often since we've lived here. Once we hear about it, we have to go and look.

One year, my nephew was on one of the boats. He told us later that they just jumped down and walked through the knee-high water to get off. Not many fisheries put the boats deliberately in this shallow, though.

You can see how calm and flat the ocean is in the pics.

Thought I'd add a little shipwreck to this thread, and then the coincidental pictures we got of Martin's boat (I didn't realize they would be there when we were there. I knew they were fishing on the Oregon coast near Tillamook Light, but that's a pretty good range of shoreline.)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Daryl...

Keith and I have cabin fever in the worst way, so we'd be up to a road trip almost any time!

(Except perhaps Sunday, as it's supposed to snow...)

Aww, come on...Saturday I'm going up to the NWMHC Winter meeting, but I will be here Sunday! I don't know about the snow...hopefully not.

Monday? Love to see you guys! I wrote a blog about the shipwreck for our paper. The last time I saw this much of the lower hull/back was in 1998. The sand starts gradually moving back in, then, it seems.

Let me know if you do decide to come down!!!

Liz

YAY YAY YAY,,,,

I was lucky enough to win one at the NWMHC meeting. It is an amazing map. So sad when you think of the lives lost. I am not even going to mess with it until I get a frame, I don't want to harm it.

Thanks Liz for donating one!

Congrats, Kim! Thanks to Bill for letting me have one for this, but you're welcome, I could have kept it allllll for myself. Mwahahahaaa. Just kidding.

Many of the wrecks like the Peter Iredale, involved no loss of life, but then again, you have stories like the Mimi or the "Death Motel" as they nicknamed her. I love reading the text....

Thanks for throwing in on this one!

Liz

Liz,

Your photos are beautiful! And the one of your hubby's boat at sunset is just stunning.

I've learned so much from this entire post. I never saw such beauty before in old wrecks. I had no idea how romantic, beautiful and sad they can be... all at once.

Even though I haven't posted it, I've also really enjoyed your posts about your husbands new boat and his business. It's very foreign to this midwesterner and I find it fascinating.

Latest posts

Back