Here's something I've been involved with this past few months...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Well! After nearly four years, this shipwreck chart is ready to go public.

It's been around 30 years since a shipwreck chart has been undertaken for this region, and there are none that are this in-depth. When I met my friend Bill last Summer, I learned about the piece then (in July of 2007). He had been working on it for over three years, by that point.

I was captivated since I grew up here on the North Coast, and many of these shipwrecks are familiar names to me. There are even a few pieces of them in the little beach cabin my family built before I was born, and we lived in until I was five or so. They really are a part of me.

I helped him proofread the text, which is stories about the sinking of each ship listed. We ended up doing about a dozen proofreads for various reasons, but it blew me away the sheer amount of research he put into it.

THEN, he showed me the list of lost fishing vessels. Of course, the one that jumped off the chart to me was Catherine M, which my nephew and his two deckhands died in 2006. So many of the names on the list were like old friends. Several of them my husband fished on before they sank.

I simply couldn't WAIT to have one of these, so I decided the best way to get one was to be involved in the process as much as possible. I really was obnoxious, probably, but Bill allowed it, and even welcomed the help, I like to think.

The chart covers Pt. Grenville along the Washington coast, and goes to Tillamook Bay (where my nephew lost his boat) along the Oregon coast. The center is the mouth of the Columbia River, which is known as the Pacific Graveyard. It is the deadliest bar in the world, or one of them.

The Coast Guard station there at Ilwaco, WA / Cape Disappointment are known as the "Guardians of the Pacific Graveyard." My brother-in-law, Bernie, was stationed there before he passed away. I know there's a forum member named Mary Lou that had a son stationed there, as well. It's also where some of "the Guardian" movie was filmed. These guys saved Martin by towing him in on his boat right before Christmas. They are paid tribute on the chart, too, in a photo of the earliest Coasties there. The USCG approved the use of their logo, which is featured at the very lowest right corner with a stamp.

This has been a long process just the part that I have known about, let alone what I was unaware of.

I'll show you pictures, but you have to know that it looks amazing in person (it is about 46" tall, framed) The photos are rather large, but I don't know that there's much to be gained from looking at it in a thumbnail. They are quite large in person (the charts):

drchart.jpg

Here is the framed version. It has photos of some of the shipwrecks along the left edge. There is a photo of the Coast Guard lifesaving station crew on the right, as well some more photos of shipwrecks. The square of paper (it is going to be handmade paper and pressed into the paper using an antique letterpress) with the fishing vessels is on the lower right. In the center is another piece of handmade paper with a list of myths that are related to shipwrecks, some of which may well be true, but in doing the research, Bill could not either find proof nor disprove them, and it was agreed that there may be some basis in truth.

Here is how it looks unframed (as in the lithograph). It is printed on coated paper, and that paper is a nice, thick, quality weight:

drcl.jpg

I have one of these, too, even though I am getting a framed one, as I want all those extras!

And here is a detail scan of the part that is the mouth of the river, so you can see the ships and the names, their positions:

shipwreckchartpre.jpg

As you can see, there are a LOT of them. The good majority involve a great deal of lives lost. It is sobering...

The chart itself is based on a survey chart done by Charles Wilkes in 1844, so it looks a little different than an actual navigation chart, but it has a neat appeal and as we all know, the coastline and features change constantly due to erosion and tides, currents and the like, so an actual chart would have been "off" for the time period, anyway.

Sorry this is so long. I am so excited about this project, and have been! There were shipwreck charts pinned to the walls in my little childhood cabins, and in beachcombing, we would often see some of the remains of a few of the ships that are listed. We used parts of them to build the beach house, and decorated the yard with scavenged parts. Now that Martin is a fisherman, they are still a big part of our lives.

I could go on and on, but then again, I am fascinated by the stories, and have even met a few new friends as a result of the research I've done after reading some of the stories Bill put on the chart.

The photo of the framed one is not finished, quite yet, as that is the first prototype. He's still waiting on the handmade paper (the other is a parchment "stand in"), and an element from the Spanish beeswax vessel in Nehalem, OR.

It's kind of like having a book on your wall, yet it also resembles fine art...only better!!!

Thanks for bearing with me!~

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really neat Liz. And what a cool project to get to be a part of. A wonderful piece of history has been preserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it has been fun to be a part of. Still is. I have to admit I'm proud of it, though I didn't really "do" anything, just cleared up a few typos and such.

It is amazing how many times you overlook those kinds of things when you've been reading something again and again and again ad nauseum.

I forgot to add that the title of the piece, "Dead Reckoning" is kind of a nautical term that was used for estimating position based on the last known position. Well, when you're in the fog and dark, with no navigational aids, that can be hard to know either way. I can't imagine what those ship captains were up against back when they lost their ships on the bar.

Oh, and the fishing vessel list will likely be updated every 50 pieces, since there are boats that sink all the time, or others may have been remembered by someone that sees the chart. I think it's a great piece of history.
default_smile.png
The attention to detail is amazing.

The stories along the left edge, they are succinct, but enchanting. I used to read the Gibbs books when I was small, and the pictures...when there are stories of lost treasure, I was, of course, daydreaming of somehow finding them!

I did meet a diver/scientist who is working on one of the shipwrecks, and we've had some interesting conversations about a vessel that's been found in small pieces off the Nehalem Bay coastline. It was carrying beeswax, and there were no bees in this area before white settlers came. The beeswax had to come from somewhere else. Carbon dating puts it in the 17th century, well before Lewis and Clark.

Then there's the "pirate" ship off of Neahkahnie, which the natives say anchored up, then went up the mountain to bury a chest of treasure. They then supposedly killed a 7' tall slave they had with them, buried his remains on top of the chest to keep the natives from digging it up, and went to their ship and sailed off. The odd part of this one is that there are strange symbols in the rocks on that mountain. I don't think anyone's found the treasure. Intriguing, though, nonetheless.

Even sea monsters, which I had not heard of, before.

Liz

Wow Liz...that is amazing!! Next time I come by your house, I'd like to take a look at it. I love all kinds of history and even tho I don't know too much about shipwrecks, it still intrigues me. Very kewl!

Nice Liz, that is soo neat!

Too cool!
default_aktion033.gif

No problem, Linda, I will probably be bringing a few with me to the horse shows (in the tube/the lithographs), as I AM quite proud of it, and may find a few people interested in having one for themselves.

I'm bringing a couple to the Winter meeting of the NWMHC for the raffle. Hopefully they will help raise some money for the club's incentive funds!

I MAY get another for Chances, too, so keep your eye out. Bill's been very generous to me for these things, so that I can donate to a good cause.

Liz

Liz....that is just so awesome!! It shows beautiful...wow!! You are so lucky to be able to be a part of Bill's creations...I would have loved to have had a hand in the Indian Nations and Jamestown pieces! Even tho I don't know much about the ships and sea life...it is an amazing piece!
default_yes.gif

Liz,

You know how much I love Bill's Lewis & Clark map! As a paper/map/history nut, I still poor over it (especially now that I can see better, LOL!)

I grew up on NW shipwreck lore...my favorite book in my mother's extensive library was Pacific Graveyard, so I am absolutely salivating over this one...can't wait to see it!

Wow,, that is outstanding! Love it!!

Is interesting on how folks have grew up on the tales on this side of the country.... I grew up on the ones in Gloucester, MA, with the Lobstermen. Think I have old pictures of me somewhere...sitting on the monument dedicated to the men and women lost to the Atlantic.

Is wonderful you helped with that beautiful project!

Thanks! I really did very little, but I DID get to see it every day when I went over there (I even threatened to run off with the earliest mockup, which was pretty hideous w/pin holes in it demarcating the wrecks, but I am a shipwreck nerd, too).

I love how he takes history and turns it into something that's not really art, but displays beautifully, as well as feeling custom. Each one feels personal, unique and special. He builds every single part of them, from the framing, to the matting, and placing the stamps. The only thing he doesn't do is the postmark, which is either the domain of the USPS or the Royal Mail (in the case of the stamps issued by them for the Beatles and the James Bond pieces).

So I totally get why he added the tagline to his company of "History in Vogue" it just makes sense.

susanne, that book, Pacific Graveyard, was of course one of the books Bill used for research. I still have a copy. I grew up on it, too. That one's by Gibbs. He worked closely with one of the only surviving shipwreck authors that I know if, Don Marshall, who now lives in Alaska. He wrote at least one book that I know of called "Oregon Shipwrecks." So, yes, you must come down and see, or I'll bring one to you. The lithographs are pretty affordable, but to me, the framed piece is where it's at. There are going to be 500 of those that will be framed w/all the shipwreck photos, lost fishing vessels and such.

Cheyenne, it does feel pretty cool to be a part of something like this. All the glory's Bill's though. I am so not a limelight person!

Shari, that's interesting about what you grew up hearing about/knowing about. Would love to know more, as I can imagine what it's like, but it would be neat to hear different names and stories....I know there are other shipwreck "hotspots" like the Great Lakes as well as the East Coast.

Thanks, everyone, for having a look. If you come down, I'd take you to see the prototype/Bill's shop if ya want! You just have to meet Paul (his peach-faced Lovebird), and Hylander (his Pug/Boston mix doggie). Those are his "helpers" in reality. ;)

Liz

Liz, that is a beautiful and sobering recognition of the lives lost at sea. I would love to see it in real life. I am sure that pics do not do it justice at all. Lots of work and research! Would love to read the text as well.

What a pleasant surprise to see this post tonite. Yes, our son Jeff was at Cape "D". He won the AFRAS award for extraordinary bravery in a rescue back in the late 90s. In the last few years He was Officer in Charge of the CG Station in Juneau Alaska. As of july He now commands the station in Depoe Bay Oregon. Can you tell we are just a little proud of Him?
default_wub.png

Yes, Marylou, I could hear it in your voice when we spoke.
default_smile.png

I enjoyed our chat, as I feel a kinship that your son was here watching over my husband and probably my sons when they went out with him as well as all the friends we have that fish and go out even just for fun.

All the fishermen appreciate what he does, as very often they lose their lives, too...there are a few Coast Guard boats on the list, as well.

The text is downright mesmerizing. Amy, are you coming to the NWMHC Winter meeting? I'll have one there, at least one. I'm going to donate one or two to the raffle.

Nice that they are finally ready to go, though, as it's been a long process for Bill, and being a one-man show, the burden has been huge with all kinds of snafus to keep it from happening as early as he wanted it to. But it was definitely worth the wait!

Liz

I love reading your posts about Martin's fishing and the Oregon coast's marine history. I'm a native Washingtonian but living four hours inland I grew up more on Microsoft, Boeing, and that whole Seattle-area culture (not that I know much about Seattle either, but hey) so it's a whole new world that you open up to me. Thank you!

Please tell Bill that poster is a work of art. Wow.
default_wub.png

Leia

Yep, this is a different world. Still, it is amazing to me how much these events impacted the region.

There is evidence of shipwrecks that occurred long before white men visited.

The salvage of these shipwrecks by the natives changed their way of life, and there may even be evidence that there was a survivor, who intermingled with the natives.

My new diver friend told me some great stories about ships plying both coasts that were not sanctioned explorations, and how some of those ships no doubt wrecked.

Not long ago a piece of a shipwreck washed ashore at Ocean Shores, Washington. It is obviously very old by its construction, but where did it come from? Fascinating mystery!

Martin's fishing boats used to be the kind that dragged nets along the bottom. There was a "tow" where they would inevitably pull up very old bottles of Cognac. Sometimes that Cognac would be perfectly drinkable. Other times, sea water. It was a place just off the mouth of the river. Wonder what was the story of how it got there?

Still another time, they caught another small old troller in their net. They tried to pull it up, but the old, waterlogged wood fell apart and dumped the contents of the boat into the bottom of their net. I took a picture of the things that came aboard. The captain took them for himself, but it was interesting to me, if a little creepy.

He says on this last trip, that there was an old bottle of ink in one of the crab pots, complete with an old cork. I don't know how old it can be, but I plan on finding out!

I could go on about this stuff all night, in case ya didn't notice...
default_yes.gif

I'll tell Bill he's getting a lot of kudos.

If you want, you could send him an email yourself. He'd definitely appreciate it, he's put a LOT into this, as well his other work, but most especially this chart:

[email protected]

Liz

Those charts are awesome Liz! Such heartbreak though when you think of all the lives lost.
default_no.gif

I find all that fasinating! Just as you do Liz! No wonder you loved working on that with Bill so much! That is AWESOME!

WOW! WOW! WOW!
default_wub.png

Liz --

That is an amazing piece of work!!!! From all aspects, such an undertaking that has been so beautifully done! I am very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill

thumbs-up2.gif

Latest posts

Back