Ideas for Helping CMHR and Other Rescues?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I gather from the titles of Marty's posts that this online show isn't meeting the financial expectations or hopes of CMHR. I'm not personally a supporter any longer, the details of which I will leave out. However, I wanted to add a horsey spin to some ideas that I've seen used in the charity groups I am involved in and share some others that have come to my mind. I'm hoping other LB members have some ideas they could share, too, and that maybe a little public brain storming session might help things with CMHR or with other miniature horse rescue groups:

• Ask some of the higher profile farms to endorse and allow them to advertise that a certain percentage of their sales are donated to CMHR
  • Try something similar with tack vendors
  • If you haven't already, approach the magazines about discounted advertising
  • Have one of your gifted writers (you have some for sure) do a series of articles (about horse issues / care, not about CMHR) that include a byline about what CMHR is and submit that to horse magazines, local community magazines, news papers, etc.
  • If you have people who can draw, maybe that person could come up with some little funny cartoons to submit to place like the above with the website address for CMHR on the graphic
  • Revamp or Spiffy up a YouTube site for the club and think MARKETING... get everyone you can to share the videos on social media (but make the videos something special)
  • Contact as many miniature horse clubs as you know of around the Nation and ask them to run free business card ads AND submit your informative horse related articles. They're always looking to ad valuable information and entertainment to their newsletters
  • Members could contact their local news stations and maybe someone will want to do a "feel good" piece about the efforts

And, of course, if you are so inclined and haven't already done so -- enter this photo contest!

Hope this thread will grow and that it might do some good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ideas Jill.

Getting the support of the registries/local clubs/breeders would be awesome.

I took in eleven rescues in 2010, there's just alot of hardship out there, more so than ever.

For several years now, I have coordinated and listed on our Gypsy Horse website, names of those across the US, who would be willing to rescue any Gypsy in their area, in need. Thankfully we have had less than five Gypsies needing to be rescued or rehomed. We actually don't have any rescues devoted solely to the breed, since of course, the Gypsy Horses are not found in the huge numbers as Minis.

However, I think it would be a good idea (and I shall do it on our website today) for all who have websites, to list Mini Rescues. We could also suggest people who need to find a home quickly for a Mini in need, google Miniature Horse Rescue, to find one in their area. We might also suggest that those seeking a Mini, should consider rescue before purchase. This especially if the new owner is not interested in showing or breeding. Also a link to this forum for those new to the breed. I already have a link to LB, since I see many new owners of Minis, asking on all-breed forums, how to take care of them. I always suggest they join this forum to link up with knowledgeable owners.

Something else came to mind and I don't know if it is or has been done, so forgive me if I am suggesting something already in place. Do any of the shows offer classes for rescues - registered or not? This might be a fun class and encourage rescue.

There is an old saying, "If you don't rescue, don't breed." I fully understand that many who might not have the space and maybe only breed very occasionally, cannot rescue. However, there are those who breed many foals each year and have the money and space to take in or foster a rescue. Some could foster, train and rehome carefully one needy horse every so often surely.

And what about some educational material on our websites? On our Gypsy website, I have a whole page called, "To Breed Or Not To Breed." Just some facts about why some horses should not be bred and what it takes to breed responsibly. Miniature Horses are popular and people do look at the websites. Maybe we could all consider putting something similar on the sites we have.

We all I think, have something lying around our homes which we no longer use. How about auctioning it off here and giving the money to the rescue of our choice? Or putting it on ebay and donating the money. If we just did this once a year, I'm sure all the funds, however small, would help greatly.

I know times are very difficult for many of us, but maybe there is just a little something we could all do. We are not a wealthy family by any means. My daughter lost her teaching job when California decided to fire hundreds of teachers last year. However, she rescued three horses in dreadful condition last year. One was a huge old black horse who had been used in the movies for at least twenty five years. He is well over thirty now, but had been discarded when arthritis set in. I know all of you must have seen him in many western movies. He came with an also over thirty QH mare and a POA with a club foot. All have found wonderful, loving and forever homes. My hubby and I are both on a meagre SS. and cannot do anything financially, but I can get the word out. There is always something we can do.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back