Here we go again - Sick horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam VanderWerf

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know a couple of things since Spring's passing last Sunday, January 14th.

First, the preliminary necropsy results revealed that:

1. "Her gut was a mess". Defined to mean that her intestines were red and inflamed.

2. Stool culture grew a bacteria called Clostridium. Humans have been known to have the same bacteria and then it's known as C. Diff.

UT is still testing tissue and waiting for other cultures to reveal something. So basically, we still don't know why she died.

Last night I went to the barn to feed in the nasty, rainy, crappy weather. Noticed our 6 year old gelding, Grosshills Mysterious Appy a/k/a Rio looking a little down. He also didn't want his grain. Fed the rest of the crew and went back to the house for the thermometer. His temp was 102.4.

Tried to reach the vet, but being Sunday evening....I sent a fax to her office informing her that Rio had a temp. I didn't want to start him on SMZ's because of Spring's problem and lack of response to them. I went back down to the barn around 8 p.m. and gave him 3cc of banamine.

This morning @ 6:30, his temp was 98.6 and he seemed to be feeling better, anxiously awaiting his breakfast. Dan took his temp again around 9 a.m. after he got off shift and it was 100.2. Then around 1:30 he took it again and it was 104.5.

The vet came out and checked him over and drew blood and we sent her home with a stool sample also. Dan just walked in with the blood test (CBC) and it's revealed:

1. He's anemic

2. Has some strongyles

3. White count is normal

So he's going on some tonic for the anemia, getting wormed, and is being placed on Metronidazole antibiotic, which is not a sulfa drug like SMZ. Colic has been ruled out because he had good gut sounds and having regular bowel movements.

So here we go again. Only 15 more horses to get sick from this point!

If anyone has any experience with the bacteria clostridium, I sure like to hear about it.

Thanks!

About three years ago some friends that lived down the road lost a yearling colt right before they were leaving for China. They took it in for a necropsy. The gentleman that was taking care of things for them noticed another young horse acting funny and called me. Not eating lethargic, just standing in a corner etc.

We called the vet and he felt it looked like samonella or some kind of bacteria. He gave him an iv and took blood and gave several meds to give him. We treated him daily with the meds and all of the sudden he sort of acted paralyzed in the mouth. I did get him to eat a little. He was found dead the next morning when he came to feed. We also took him to OSU since it was on the weekend for a necropsy. The first necropsy was very inconclusive but did show the clostridium bacteria. I talked to the dr on the second necropsy and it was also inconclusive but he was a mess. He also had this clostriuim bacteria. It was my understanding that was a common bacteria and some just can fight it off. I never did understand all that I was told on this and spent many days reading about clostridium type a etc. Never did get a firm answer. Not knowing what we had there we did strip down the barn pull all mats and disenfected with bleach. It was my understanding that it could be anywhere and everywhere. Now to my knowledge they have never had the problem again.

I cringe when I see the word clostridium

I certainly hope that you find the cause and wish you luck and dealing with this and hope for the best outcome. I just never got any definite answers.

Arlene

I thought clostridium is a bacteria that is found in the intestines of healthy horses? In healthy horses it's not a problem, it's just there?

Clostridium is the bacteria that can cause the nasty, deadly infection in some IM injection sites--banamine is a bad one for a clostridium abcess.

Clostridium botulinum is the toxin that produces botulism

Ah, here it is, in my vet book it specifies the clostridium tetani bacteria is a normal inhabitant of the horse's intestinal tract, and is also found in soil. When this bacterium enters a wound, the body produces the neurotoxin which causes tetanus. In the intestinal tract, it's not an issue.

My guess would be that clostridium is not the culprit in your mare's death--it just happened to be there, as it is in many horses.

Best wishes to you on figuring out what to do for this problem, and prayers for your boy, that he will come through this okay.

I had a mare die from clostridium Christmas Eve morning, a week and a half after I lost a mare due to foal-aborting complications. I caught Marble's signs on Thursday, she had a temp, and didn't eat anyof her grain just like you're gelding. She died on Sunday morning around 5 am and it didn't seem like anything the vet nor I did helped. The banamine brought down her temp, but as soon as it wore off it shot up again I've got 13 other minis, one of which has a runny nose right now and is being watched like a hawk, and I've got the same mind set, "Whose getting sick next".

All we can do is watch and get right on top of signs of sickness. Are you're minis penned together? Marble was pulled out as soon as I noticed that she wasn't feeling that great. I'm hoping that I don't get any more sick horses this year; I can't wait until spring gets here.

[SIZE=12pt]Tam-[/SIZE]

Saying prayers that Rio will be ok - along with the rest of the herd. 2007 sure isn't starting off very well for you - so many sad things. You and Dan are right on top of things - Rio WILL be ok - he's too much of a brat not to be.

Hoping Misty can get some info from UT tomorrow. Wish I was there to give you a big hug - some day!!!!!

Barbie
default_pray.gif
:

Sorry to hear that you have another one sick. I will definitely keep this little one and the others in my thoughts and prayers. I sure hope you vet is able to find an answer and soon!

Best of luck!
default_pray.gif
:

Hey Tam, I've had to step up my de-worming program due to the "heat wave" we have had this winter.

I can't believe that I am de-worming as much as I have been. It's crazy.

Hope all your guys are going to be ok.

My prayers sent your way. Sure hope you can find some answers. I know how stressful it can be -- waiting for the next shoe to fall!

Rita

How is Rio doing today? Sending good thoughts for him, and for you.
default_pray.gif
:

I hope Rio is feeling better today. I know that in people who get C diff it usually occurs when they've been on antibiotics for a long time.....antibiotics kills off the other "normal" bacteria but the C diff survives and takes over. There are also many types of Clostridium as mentioned.....the worst one causes botulism.

Latest posts

Back