Need Ideas (Very Long and sad)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry for your loss.

I hope you are able to find something out from the tests, the not knowing is so awful.

I just want to give you a big hug! I went through something similar last year from Dec 22 to New Years Day, not with one of my horses, but another dear beloved companion so I know you need answers and lots of hugs. I too thought stroke, or one of the conditions mentioned already. Rabies can be transfered or present in 3 different forms and I hope for you and your other animals it doesn't turn out to be that.

I cant a anything to whats already been said but I wanted to say how sorry I am x

What great pictures of a very handsome boy - so very sorry that you lost him and in such a tragic way.

Sending you ((((HUGS))))

The problem was at the level of the brain, differentials would include ( but not limited to ):

Encephalitis-bacterial or viral

EPM-central nervous system- what test was run?

Vascular accident- including clot(stroke) and bleeds

Brain tumor

West Nile

Rabies

Dr. Taylor

I'm so sorry for your loss. My friends big horse had EEE and passed away this summer. Symptoms were very much like you described. He walked in circles then fell over right thru the fence. From first symptom ( colicky) to put down was 2 1/2 days. If they are checking your poor guy for rabies, they can also check for EEE at the same time. That's what Brenda's vet did. I don't want to be graphic here but want to impart the knowledge that the vet had to take his head to run this test as well. I hope you find some answers that will help some how.

Alison

So very sad for you and all you went through. I feel certain he knew you were trying everything to help.

What a horrible thing you had to go through with your gorgeous boy. From the looks of his photos, he was very well cared for and very loved. Hugs to you and best wishes to find out what happened and that you and your other horses are all OK.

Oh Jackie,my heart goes out to you.HUG. I had a big horse years ago that on morning just didn't act right.I took her out of her stall and she acted disoriented,I called the Vet. and put her back in her stall..She would follow the wall with her head going around the stall.Then she stood in one stall and pushed her head against the wall with all her might..She was steaming and foaming..I had the vet put her down..Then not long after that,a friend's horse did the same thing..Used the same Vet..But she didn't put the horse down..She let her roam the aisle of the barn..And in a few days she was fine..The Vet told her that the only time he has ever seen a horse act like that it was my horse..Her horse is fine and that has been years ago..I really think in my heart it was West Nile..But at the time it was new in the Kentucky area..It was in the late 1990"s..I wish I had taken her to the university of Ky for a necropsy but I didn't have a trailer at the time..I will never know..But I do know that I couldn't let her suffer..Some things we will just never know..

Vet got word that he tested negative for rabies. My understanding is that the lab that ran the test will now be running the tests for Encephalitis. Dr Taylor I do not know which test was run for EPM but my understanding is that it did indicate that he had at one time been exposed... low titer??? Something to that effect I think she said, but that it was not indicative that that was the problem at all. She enclosed a note to please ask that they do a check for a tumor but was not sure that they would actually do it and because she had to send the entire head she could not check for that before it was sent off to them. I do not understand how this could have been viral as i have not had any new horses for over two years now and I do not show etc. Vet leaning more to brain tumor now. Dr Taylor, if i do not get any answers from any tests that are run then how long should I keep my horses under quarantine? I was not told to but I do not want to get anyone elses horses sick. I am making my farrier wait to trim my guys and am waiting to separate foals because I'm even scared of changing horses pens around because i dont know what happened. So please tell me, if no other horses are showing any signs of illness then how long before i can feel "in the clear"? This worrying is making me exhausted and I fear I may not be making much sense lately so sorry if I am rambling. Thank You again.

First of all, hugs to you and I am so so sorry for your loss. I sure hope you find an answer. I wouldnt think that a tumor would cause a fever like that? Again my condolences... my old guy will be the same age this spring and is also my heart horse- I am so sad for you. Please try to get some rest- you gotta take care of you.

I have no idea what it could be but my heart goes out to you on the loss of such a beautiful and much-loved horse. I hope you find an answer soon.

Thanks again to you all for listening to me. Laurie dont worry about your guy getting to be "older", Barney was my first but I got him as a young boy. I bought several more later that were older and they lived into their 30s. You may very well easily have another ten years or more with your heart horse. I hope you do. I appreciate all the love and laughs my Barney gave me. I am hoping the end of the not knowing will end soon and that I will not have to face this again with the other horses. I will update as i get more results. Thanks Yall for the kind words.

Vet got word that he tested negative for rabies. My understanding is that the lab that ran the test will now be running the tests for Encephalitis. Dr Taylor I do not know which test was run for EPM but my understanding is that it did indicate that he had at one time been exposed... low titer??? Something to that effect I think she said, but that it was not indicative that that was the problem at all. She enclosed a note to please ask that they do a check for a tumor but was not sure that they would actually do it and because she had to send the entire head she could not check for that before it was sent off to them. I do not understand how this could have been viral as i have not had any new horses for over two years now and I do not show etc. Vet leaning more to brain tumor now. Dr Taylor, if i do not get any answers from any tests that are run then how long should I keep my horses under quarantine? I was not told to but I do not want to get anyone elses horses sick. I am making my farrier wait to trim my guys and am waiting to separate foals because I'm even scared of changing horses pens around because i dont know what happened. So please tell me, if no other horses are showing any signs of illness then how long before i can feel "in the clear"? This worrying is making me exhausted and I fear I may not be making much sense lately so sorry if I am rambling. Thank You again.
Quarantine is typically 2 weeks from the last signs of disease, but longer isn't wrong.

An EPM test on blood can only tell us if we were never exposed and thus negative. Any positive (weak or otherwise) is positive for exposure, but tells us nothing about whether or not we had the disease. In Ohio (where the original work was done) 75% of horses will test positive to exposure while <2% of those actually express symptoms of the disease. Although EPM may not be likely, I do not think your blood test rules it out.

I'm not sure where you are from or what the routine is, but in my area in Michigan rabies tests get sent to the Department of Health not the State Agriculture Lab. The Health Department isn't particularly concerned with doing a full necropsy, plus what they do somewhat destroys the tissue for further testing. I hope you get an answer, but you may not.

Dr. Taylor

Terribly sorry for your loss..... I had the something transpire with one of our yearling mares a few months back. We ended up having to put her down went she became unresponsive. Our vet originally thought that it may have been West Nile or Rabies. We had the lab work done for both and the results came back negative on both counts. It's unfortunate that we sometimes don't get the answers that we may need for closure.

How terrible. I am so sorry.

This does sound just like the one case of rabies I have had experience with. I'm glad it was not in your case.

I am just so sorry.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I lost one of my best fillies last year with symptoms "exactly" as you describe...walking backwards, hanging her head, circles, no drinking water...nibbling at hay...chewing a little, but no swallowing...foaming at the mouth...diagnosis was "choke"....I think she kept walking backwards thinking whatever was in her esophagus would dislodge. She did not show the constant coughing and choking signs consistently with this...it was incredibly sad to watch....her lungs filled up with fluid and she died before my vet got here to put her down....also falling over from a straight stand...no bending her knees and laying down normally...horrible experience. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am not sure if this is what was wrong with your horse, but you described my filly's symptoms exactly as they were. She was aspirating and foaming at the mouth...she basically drowned from the fluid in her lungs caused by the obstruction in her esophagus.

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart breaks for you. What a horrific experience you've been through. Your boy was amazingly beautiful. {{{{ hugs }}}}
default_no.gif

Back