sick horse confusing symptoms thoughts or advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question, when your vet tubed him, did he give him mineral oil and if so did you ever see the mineral oil in the feces. When we are concerned about blackages we keep a close eye out for the mineral oil. Sounds like he is getting better so that is great, I was just curious lol

Keep us posted on his progress and anything you find out.
Hi yes he did give mineral oil. The poop was oily on the outside. It was still hard little round balls at first but they were definately oily.

I had something like this last fall with a couple of my horses.

You have to remember if he is not eating a lot he will not poop as much either. My mare when she went off feed only pooped once in a 24 hr period (after she was oiled). She then pooped once at night and two to three piles during the next day. Once she started eating more it got better. And yes my vets also told me banimine does slow down their GI tract.

My mare had a fever, went off her feed, acted a little colicy, and depressed. Wanted to be by herself and not with the other horses.

Had a complete blood work done and she only had elevated white blood cell count and had slow but not bad gut sounds. The vet thought it was due to not eating enough.

Vets had no idea.

Was tubed by the vet as a precaution.

How I treated:

Gastrogaurd (5 days) then switched to Aloevera juice (6 ccs for 5 days)

tagament

wet sloppy beet pulp and alfalfa cubes with some grain mixed in

alfalfa and grass hay (all she would eat which wasn't very much for about 5 days)

banimine for 3 days

She pulled through and is still in foal. But this was a very dificult problem to diagonis since she had symptoms for a couple of things.

Good luck and hope he gets better soon.

Just an update, not a good one : ( Player was doing so much better up until last night. Everything was going in the right direction then he turned up his nose at his grain, and started with all the colic signs again. only worse. he's at Dover right now, i was with him there till 10 last night. They have ultra sounded him and run multiple tests which i cant remember all of them right now.So far nothing has been abnormal with any of it. he's on an I.V. blood work came back normal except now he has a low white blood cell count. X- rays are happening this morning. Possibly stones? Splash is outside screaming his head off for his friend and that is just killing me makes me want to cry. Send prayers please!

oh no, I am so sorry you are all going through such a rough time. I am sending prayers that all is well and that he is back home soon.

Thank You,

I posted a picture of him in the gallery, I don'tknow how to post one here. he's the red roan with the green blanket looking back over his shoulder at me. I took it yesterday morning when he was doing so much better "sigh"

Oh no!!! I was so glad to hear he was feeling better and now he's bad off again. I'm sending prayers!!!! Hang in there!

I'm so sorry to hear about Player. Many thoughts and prayers for you, Player, and Splash. I hope he feals better soon.

I was saddened to see he has taken a turn for the worse :-( keeping you and Player in my thoughts and prayers

Update. Hi everyone Thank You for your thoughts and prayers they must have worked
default_yes.gif

Player is back home today Yeah!! All the tests x-rays and ultra sounds showed nothing except for his blood work. He was fighting off something. I am slowly feeding him back up a little hay at a time no grain yet and keeping my fingers crossed. He is now on antibiotics I.M. for another day and boy do I hate giving them in that little neck. LOL Full size horses have so much more area to choose from. All that the vets can figure is that it is some type of infection but they are still stumped as to what it could be and those weird symptoms he was exhibiting. I was so worried the other night when they were doing that ultra sound. I kept praying dont let it be an impaction or twisted gut. he's on stall rest and I had to make him a small turn out so he can get better without Splash bugging him. He's not a fan of that I can tell you. I cant believe how fast he dropped weight no winter hay belly at all now.( less work for me getting him in shape ha, ha) I also have had my first experience with the fact that my regular vet can only do so much with a mini. it just never accured to me that you cant do a rectal exam or the fact that they only had a big horse rectal ultra sound. I know that sounds stupid of me but I have never had anyone sick before. I'm telling them they better invest in the little portable ultra sound like the one they had at Dover before I get any more grey hairs. Anyway he's home and I am watching and waiting fingers crossed. I got my first whinny greeting this afternoon and it was like music to my ears. I know, its only because I'm the bringer of the food but let me have my moment ok.

Thank you all.

Im so glad Player is better!!!! Or should I say getting better continue with the prayers for your baby

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant news - I'm so pleased for him and for you. Will continue with my prayers for his recovery.

Will he eat grass? Do you have a grass area where he could have a nibble for a short while each day - Dr Green is often welcomed by a horse with little appetite.

Latest posts

Back