Here she is...my dwarf?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie Iceton

Reaction score
Ok so 30" mare...not sure have not measured her but I am guessing she is around 30. So she obviously has a large head and tiny legs....and slight underbight...so please let me know what you think....But please be kind I dont want any insults....She was a gift and needed a home that we provided and is loved no matter what. I have no interest in breeding therefor dont mind that she will never be bred. Oh but she was once...her baby was 18" at 3 not sure who the sire was but it might have possibly been Bionic Buckaroo.(Buckaroo Son) and yes I was training her for harness just because she would be fun!

But what do you all think?

BonniesFirstHarnessing002.jpg

I dont think I have any without her fuzzies....

I think she is a cutie! I'm thinking dwarf but I'm not as knowledgable as the some others.

I'm happy she has such a good home...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would say that she is.

Even if others agree not, there are things about her that add up to it to me, and myself, I would not breed her.

If you do, please do be very careful on stallion selection and an 18" 3-year old is most likely a dwarf. I have yet to see one in the low 20s let alone teen height range (true measurements) that is NOT a dwarf.

Liz

Well that is a terrible picture of her because of the way the bit is make her screw up her face, but I don't see dwarf. I don't care for her head at all, but I don't see dwarf. If I picture her with a better head, I would not think dwarf.

The long hair could be makeing things look off, but she does appear to be long for her height, kind of a weinner dog look, also looks back at the knees. I am glad she is in a good home with you who will not breed her.

I'm thinking she IS a dwarf, but dwarf or not, this is a mare who should NOT reproduce. Of course that won't stop her from being a wonderful pet, and it does sound as though she's found the perfect home for that.

Thanks guys for the opinions, lol and the critiques of my picture taking and do not worry she will not be bred lol as already stated but yes I had thought she was dwarfy, and you have all confirmed my suspicions. However will update on how her driving training goes! Breedable or not she can move!

I'm glad she is in such a loving, caring home!
default_wub.png
You have fun with your sweetie
default_yes.gif
Thanks!~ Yeah she is an awesome little mare, sometimes when I go into after they are done eating and when I come back to let them out of the stalls she is laying down and I can go in and just lay there with her for a bit, she is so willing and trusting. And I have never seen a horse so food motivated, she makes my other pig look humble for food..XD

I do not see what I know to identify as dwarf characteristics in her. There are conformational "issues" but those don't matter as she's well qualified to be your loved pet / horse
default_wub.png
:

Not every genetic fault has to do with dwarfism, even when one horse has multiple faults. I think "dwarf" is actually being used more than it should but also think that many of the people seeing it in pictures way more than I'm seeing it in the same pictures, mainly don't want the faults they see (and blame on dwarfism) to be passed along. I would not want them to be passed along, but do not think they are related to dwarfism (in the case of your mare, and in the case of many others recently). So, I guess I disagree on the "cause" but agree on the recommended action (not to breed -- which you already stated you won't).

Specifically to your girl, things that make me think NOT dwarf are the shape of her head (no "dome" at all but a Roman nose), and her legs while not ideal in conformation do not have large joints which I thnk of when I think of dwarfs.

Enjoy your girl!

default_aktion033.gif
Jill, I agree 100% with everything you just said! That's how I see it too!
default_yes.gif

I do not see what I know to identify as dwarf characteristics in her. There are conformational "issues" but those don't matter as she's well qualified to be your loved pet / horse
default_wub.png
:

Not every genetic fault has to do with dwarfism, even when one horse has multiple faults. I think "dwarf" is actually being used more than it should but also think that many of the people seeing it in pictures way more than I'm seeing it in the same pictures, mainly don't want the faults they see (and blame on dwarfism) to be passed along. I would not want them to be passed along, but do not think they are related to dwarfism (in the case of your mare, and in the case of many others recently). So, I guess I disagree on the "cause" but agree on the recommended action (not to breed -- which you already stated you won't).

Specifically to your girl, things that make me think NOT dwarf are the shape of her head (no "dome" at all but a Roman nose), and her legs while not ideal in conformation do not have large joints which I thnk of when I think of dwarfs.

Enjoy your girl!

Hi KAtie,

I have pretty much zero experience with dwarfism, but she sure

does NOT scream dwarf to me. She looks well cared for and healthy and

should be great for driving and loving on!

I just wanted to tell you that I have a friend that is very successful in driving

competitions.. all over the US. Most of her minis are not fancy show horses

and she KICKS MAJOR BUTT! It's just AMAZING! Her little minis compete

against full size horses also!

Good Luck with her training.
default_smile.png
)

~Sandy

But not all varieties of dwarf have that extremely domed head... it may just be coarser. And not all dwarfs have excessively large joints....
default_unsure.png

I wish I could see her under the fuzzy hair - but the underbite, the short legs on the long body... they would make me suspicious.

I am glad she has found such a perfect home!
default_wub.png

I am glad she has found you! ;) I think you are seeing confirmation defects and not dwarfism traits. I guess your guess is as good as mine. It doesn't really matter she loves you the same. Enjoy her and keep us updated on progrss to harness. What is her name?

Ashley said:
The long hair could be makeing things look off, but she does appear to be long for her height, kind of a weinner dog look, also looks back at the knees. I am glad she is in a good home with you who will not breed her.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Latest posts

Back