helping a mare dry up from nursing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
well....I have a new little mare. Ruby. She is so sweet! She just came today so I do not have new pictures to post yet. She came from a very loving home, but they decided to rehome her as she is a mare that does not need to be bred. Yeah for them for being responsible and thinking of her first!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

So she is here to live her life and be a companion to my other 3, never to be bred again.

She is about 30-31 inches and so adorable! Long flaxen hair and shiny soral(sp) coat. She came to her previous home already in foal. This April she foaled a nearly perfect little filly, who does not seem to have the same faults as my new mare. Thank goodness!!

SO my questions

First she is a bit underweight from the nursing. Not too bad, just a bit ribby and hips and spine just showing. I figure she should pick up weight pretty quick now that she does not have a baby on her. I plan to add some beat pulp to her feed as that helped my mare when she was nursing, so much.

But I have read that it helps a mare dry up to NOT feed them grain. But what if the mare is thin?

She has a big bag. I have not messed with it too much so I dont know for sure if it is hot and engorged. It does not look like it. But it is full. I think she needs to settle in before I feel her up
default_wacko.png
lol!

She also has veins running on the sides of her belly, and i have not seen it before. I was wondering if they could be milk veins?

What is anyones advice for helping her dry up? But keep in mind she is thin. I really would like to make the drying up process as painless as possible, I have been there myself and I know how much it hurts to be full of milk.

I cant wait to show off pictures she is a doll baby!
default_wub.png

I attached a pic of Ruby and her baby. You can see the veins I think. I only have Ruby at my place and I just love her already!

Thanks for any advice and help and Thank you to the wonderful woman who gave me Ruby!!!!
default_saludando.gif

It sounds like she's found the PERFECT home!
default_wub.png

Being underweight from been "pulled down" by her foal, is always a tough call.........

I would give her free choice hay right now. Hold off any pasture or grain for a few days. Check her bag and if necessary apply a cool wash cloth to it a few times. If it's NOT tight, don't do any more than that. If it IS tight, just express a squirt of milk from each teat to relieve some pressure.........You don't want to squirt out so much that it encourages more milk to develop.

After a few days, start giving her some grain AND beet pulp gradually.......but watch her bag too. And if you have any green pasture for her to nibble on, that would be great too.

We've had very good luck building weight up using a complete Senior Grain AND Beet Pulp........increasing the amount gradually over a week or so -- up to 6 cups of the combination, twice a day! And we feed hay and offer pasture time. If your hay is a grass only, without any alfalfa in it, you might consider mixing some alfalfa pellets into the grain.

That just what we've done.......

Well I can't see any pictures (darn it
default_wink.png
) but as for drying up...how long has the foal been off of the mare? I would be inclined, since she is not in a desperate state of thinness, to let her finish drying up before adding anything to help her gain back the lost weight. If you just maintain her on grass hay she should begin to dry up pretty quickly. It does almost sound like the foal was still taking a lot of milk and that is why she is producing so much. I try to wean when I know the foal has reduced his demands for milk so the mares production is already dropping off. Anyway for what it is worth that is what I'd do at this point. If she seems to be too uncomfy I have heard you can rub baby oragel on the bag to numb it (haven't tried that myself) but unless it seems she is getting an infection (mastitis) it is best not to try milking to relieve the pressure as that only prolongs the inevitable. JMO Good luck

I use orajel to put on mare's udders a few times a day for a couple-few days when they have weaned their foals. I think it helps them to be more comfortable.

Thanks for the advice! She only came this morning, so I think it was not too long that the foal has been off her. I think they seperated them but the baby kept getting to mama.
default_rolleyes.gif

I found out tonight she is a talker! I love it! I think she is going to fit in wonderfully!

I did feed her tonight, as I did not want her to think she came to horsey h*ll. But I will take all advice and think about our course of action for the drying up/building her up.

Dang that the pictures did not show up. I did the browse upload thing???? ok my file is too big! I will try to figure it out later I cant wait to show her off!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all above being excellent advice, you may also want to be sure she gets vit/min supplements.

Even a 1/4 cup of a ration balancer (if you have any on hand) while on grass hay only......it takes a few days, then you will see that bag loosening up. Even a little touch of banamine will help her feel more comfy for a day or two. Without the foal around, she'll begin to dry up.

as of this morning I think the bag has gone down!
default_aktion033.gif

Yesterday you could see it from a mile away, today you have to look. So I think she is well on her way to drying up. thanks all!!!!!

Latest posts

Back