HELP!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdmomjb

Reaction score
I just got up to go to the bathroom and heard a noise outside. I had thought I had herd this before but didnt think any thing of it

My old dog Pee was traped in the gray water tank about half in the water.

What can I do to get her core temp up??

Any Ideas

I posted on the back porch but more of you are here.

Jan

DR thanks for the idea I just couldn't think. I'm afraid that she had been in the water for 3 or 4 hours.

She is now beginning to clean herself which is an improvement as when I got her out she could hardly walk I had to carry her in the house. 60 pounds of wet dog

What a smell.

I hope there are no complications from this.

I would have never found her if she had died there as no one goes out to that area on a regular basis. that thing is going to have to be filled I never thought of a dog falling in.

This house belongs on Marty's thread.

Jan

Definitely get the dog seen by a vet ASAP to make sure she's okay. I don't know what a gray water tank is, but it doesn't sound like a pleasant place to be on a cold night! Yuck. I'm glad you found her.

Leia

As awful as it sounds putting it in warm tub of water will bring the temp up gently then I would see a vet asap as I would be wary of aspiration pnuemonia.

If you put her in warm water bath.........keep the water warm, don't let it cool. When she comes out, dry her good (of course) but use a warm blow dryer to get that water off. A horse water-shed blade would also help take it off.

Let her lay on & cover her with a human blanket. If she'll allow you, put a heating pad on top of it, with you there, of course. Don't leave her alone with it unless you are VERY near by. I'd also lay her by a heating vent. In my OLD house, the heating vents are flat on the floor. You can even put the blanket she's laying on top of the heating vent without any problem.

Just please be near by and check her often. I'd be sitting on the floor with her.

Also, why not try some warm broth? Soup sure helps when we're cold. Warms from the inside out. Maybe a 1/2 cup or a cup? Make sure she gets water to drink too, since she could be dehydrated, even tho she was standing in the water, doesn't mean she drank any.

And if you can't get into see the vet today, at least call & see what else they suggest. Good luck with this. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use Dawn dish soap to remove any outside bacteria that may be on the outside they use dawn when birds have been saturated in oil as it is gentle enough to not harm her. I too would have a vet take a look at her once you have her warmed up. Good Luck.

For those who don't camp etc. Gray water is the leftover water from washing dishes, showers, or in the case in our house if you use the laundry tubs in the basement it goes to "grey water". It's not the waste water from the toilet.

:eek: And here I (seriously) thought she was telling us the color of the tank!
default_yes.gif
: I sure hope you can get your girls body temp back up!! Good Luck with her!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Pea is napping on the floor on a blanked and covered with another.

She enjoyed a bowl of doggie egg drop soup this morning and is looking better.

I'm at the hospital and will be until 10 tonight I have hubby looking after her.

I just feel so bad thinking that she may have been in the water for hours. You can bet that a load of gravel will be dumped in the tank to bring the footing level up to where she could get out if this were to happen again. I've never understood why they made the tank that deep.

Jan

Jan, even if you don't take her to the vet, I would call and tell them what happened and that she is doing ok at the moment. They may want you to start her on some antibiotic as a preventative for the next two weeks, just to keep something from getting a hold on her. You could run by and pick some up and start them today.

default_yes.gif
Oh mona thank goodness you said something I was thinking the same thing and my first thought was wow she had the presence of mind to remember the color of the tank...
default_wacko.png
:

I am sure glad you found her when you did

default_yes.gif
I did too when I first read it! :bgrin I was picturing a very small dog having fallen into a gray rather than a black water trough and not being able to get out was cold and soggy. My laundry room, kitchen and bathroom sinks all lead to our gray water tank but its under the ground and no way could a dog get in it unless someone opened up the heavy cement lid on it.

I am very glad you found him and got him out and warmed up! Could have been an awful discovery if you were too late. :no:

Hi all. Sweet Pea seems to be doing all right and is still resting.

I called my vet this morning arround 8 and they agree with my having started her on smz and want her to stay on for 7 days.

You can be sure we will be keeping a close eye on her and the vet will see her if she has any trouble from this.

I have lived arround gray water systems so long I never thought to explain what I was talking about.

most of the gray water systems I have seen just run onto the ground the one at this house is the first I've ever seen with an open tank which runs to a system of field lines which water the lower side yard.

I've called husband about every hour checking on Pea and will continue to get updates on her. Sometimes I hate my job as you cant call in when you have this type of problem. unless someone is dead or you are sick enough to need a hospital yourself you have to be here. Oh well its all for the kids.

Jan

Whew! I'm sure glad Sweet Pea's improving! How horrible for the poor little thing - well not so little when she's soaking wet and you have to carry to the house I'm sure! :new_shocked:

And I didn't know what grey water was either!

Glad to hear she is still doing well! These little guys become like a member of the family.

glad to hear that shes OK. I do know what grey water is. nasty as it sounds our dogs will drink it if Id let them.[ YUK!!!] our vet says the nasty stuff they eat wont hurt them like us unless there systems are stressed., like being nearly drowned or frozen. good save!!! DR.

OH Jan!! I am so sorry to hear she fell in the water. When u told me I thought she fell in a trough, couldn't figure that out, her legs are to short to have reached it. :eek: I understand now. DUH!! It's the blond hair. :bgrin Anyway, i am glad she is doing better. You give her a big hug when u get home tonite for me.

Shelley<><

Latest posts

Back