Help!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaminewbie

Reaction score
Strangles!! Does anyone know if I go and get the vaccine to give to the others if it will help or is it to late? I know you are not vets but if anyone can suggest an answer I would appreciate it!! Thanks

No I dont think it would do any good at this point.

DO take the horse that has it and put it as far away from the other horses as possible thou.

I am so sorry you are about to go through strangles.It is VERY CONTAGIOUS.Having been there many years ago I now isolate any new horse coming onto the property for 3 weeks.Have 1 now in a building on a back part of the barn.I have 5 others from an auction in my barn away from all others.Bleach is the key.Have a pan with bleach in it for your shoes.Step in it after you take care of the sick 1.wash your hands in bleach water after you handle sick 1.Blach the pitchfork, etc. Do not use anything on your other horses that is near the sick 1.Keep sick 1 as far away from others as possible.You may be able to prevent all from getting it.Good luck&keep us posted.

I will tell you that we did vaccinate in the face of an outbreak after much discussion with my vet UC davis and the maker of the vaccine. We finally all decided on the intra nasal half doses for the minis and it did work for us. Those vaccinated a few did come down with it but nothing near as bad as those unvaccinated

I would discuss it with your vet and see if they will make a couple of calls or check on there vet boards and get some added info.

Lisa, did you vaccinate the ones already showing symptoms or just the ones that hadn't shown any symptoms yet? Thanks

Gee there are SO many vaccines now, sometimes I wonder if one can overdo it..

I sure considered that Strangles vaccine, had a POA years ago with it.No fun, then

there"s West Nile Virus, Rabies etc..

should we give those any time apart? I need a schedule! Mine have only had the 6way which will be split into two seperate shots next time! Help?! Maxine

beaminewbie said:
Lisa,  did you vaccinate the ones already showing symptoms or just the ones that hadn't shown any symptoms yet?  Thanks
491990[/snapback]

NO we only gave to the ones with no symptoms yet

bevann said:
I am so sorry you are about to go through strangles.It is VERY CONTAGIOUS.Having been there many years ago I now isolate any new horse coming onto the property for 3 weeks.Have 1 now in a building on a back part of the barn.I have 5 others from an auction in my barn away from all others.Bleach is the key.Have a pan with bleach in it for your shoes.Step in it after you take care of the sick 1.wash your hands in bleach water after you handle sick 1.Blach the pitchfork, etc. Do not use anything on your other horses that is near the sick 1.Keep sick 1 as far away from others as possible.You may be able to prevent all from getting it.Good luck&keep us posted.
491862[/snapback]

Bevan made a good post. When we had Strangles, we kept a spray bottle of water mixed with bleach hanging on the stall gate where the quarrantined horse was. Sprayed our hands and the bottoms of our shoes as we left the stall.

Also, the sick horse was always the LAST horse we fed, watered, etc.......just to be safe.

MA

Are you sure it's strangles? We had a new horse we thought had strangles, and it wasn't, just a bad sinus infection where the lymph nodes under the jaw area was swollen to help fight the infection. Wasn't very hard to get rid of at all. I would go ahead and take all precautions, even if it probably is too late, just in case. Contact my vet and make sure it is strangles.

Ditto what everyone has said. Strangels can be a nightmare and go through barns like wildfire and linger on for many, many weeks into months. Even though you may think you are out of the woods when the horse seems to be over it, do not let your guard down and continue on your medication and his isolation even though you think they are recovering. I have used the nasal type in the past as part of my vaccine regimen but no longer since I don't have anyone coming and going around here, it's a closed barn so knocking on wood no one will catch it from another way. Also be very sure you don't let another horse share a water troff until it's been disinfected too. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Back