HELP!!! Wormer overdose!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens

Reaction score
We just went to worm our mini's with Equimax for the 1st time since we've had them. My husband set the weight on the dial of the mare (230 lbs)and gave it to her. When he pulled it out we realized that the dial did not hold and he gave her the whole tube of that of a 1300 horse!!! I'm so scared! I have a call into the vet, he is being paged. Does anyone know what I should do??? I'm so glad it is NOT Quest brand, but I'm still VERY worried!

this happened to my friends mini. The vet had her give her bandamine and make sure the mare drinks all the water she wants.

We did that once on accident as well with safeguard wormer, we were told access to water and as much hay as they want.

Thanks for your responses! The Vet just left and she still seems to be fine. He tubed her and gave her some mineral oil and bandamine. I really hope she will be okay! It's going to be a long night! We'll be walking out to check on her constantly. We feel terrible!

I've had this happen a couple of times with ivermectin- no harm done. Hope yours will be ok, I would not worry too much.

my inlaws vet dosed and reccomended a whole tube.we were told that they would pass what was not needed...sounds like she will be fine
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that once. I set it but the dial didn't hold and whole thing went it. I too was scared. I didn't know what to do called vet never heard anything and hoped for the best. All was good. hope your girl will be well too.

Oh Jen, you poor thing...dont beat yourself up...and please dont beat up your hubby!! I think that has happened to many of us. Accidents happen and you called vet out just to be safe...good for you and Im sure your little one will be just fine.

Yep, I've done the same thing...not with Equimax, but with Ivermectin. HUGE safety margin in that, but of course the Equimax has the added ingredient for Tapeworms. Hopefully all will be just fine, but I know first hand how scary it can be when that happens!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry,

It happened to me , and I freaked. With the exception of quest , your horse will be fine. The wormers are such that it would be impossible to " really" hurt an animal if this happens. I hope your vet is smart enough not to give your horse . Just. Keep an eye on her today and over the next few days. Pick up the poop and despise of it of you have a small dog that likes to eat poop .

To prevent this in the future, wrap an elastic band around the plunger of the tube where the dose is to keep it from slipping too far in.

A hair elastic will work too... I've had to take mine out of my hair to do it many times LOL

I did the same thing just recently and it was with Equimax, almost a full tube on a 30" 3 y.o. mare. She was fine!

I think it's pretty hard to overdose on most wormers, so I wouldn't worry. To be honest my little mare likes to SUCK on de-worming tubes! You can set it where you want it but if you don't get it out of her mouth fast enough she will eat half of the thing before you can blink.

Silly horses
default_giveup.gif

The instruction sheet in the Equimax box says has been tested on 3 & 4 week old foals at 10x one dose with results of loose stools for 1-2 days and on pregnant mares at 3x the dose every 2 weeks with some increased incidents of colic.

Sounds like you are well within the safe zone on this.

It happens, and they generally survive it just fine with ivermectin. I've had it happen a time or two as well.

Jan

LOL, this has happened to many of us..... perhaps the company with those 'stops' that slip need to figure out a different way to make their wormer applicators? Yes, the very first time it happened to me, I freaked & called the vet too. She chuckled and said no problem..... and hey, the horse is not going to have any worms!!

Latest posts

Back