HELP!!! Wormer overdose!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, this has happened to many of us..... perhaps the company with those 'stops' that slip need to figure out a different way to make their wormer applicators? Yes, the very first time it happened to me, I freaked & called the vet too. She chuckled and said no problem..... and hey, the horse is not going to have any worms!!
I was thinking the same thing! There seems to be a design flaw in that brand of wormer. But I'll never do that again, lol, next time I'll squirt out everything but the exact dose before giving it to them.

Well I have to say I feel so much better knowing we're not the first to have done this! She is still doing great and hasn't acted any differently, so I'm thankful for that! Thanks for all your comments and support! I'm loving this forum so far!

I have heard many of these stories and that is why I always squirt the dosage into a small syringe. (no needle of course.) I take the plunger out and squirt it into the back. Then carefully put the plunger back in and it is ready to go.

I have heard many of these stories and that is why I always squirt the dosage into a small syringe. (no needle of course.) I take the plunger out and squirt it into the back. Then carefully put the plunger back in and it is ready to go.
Oh that is a great idea! I think I'll try that next time! : )

To prevent this in the future, wrap an elastic band around the plunger of the tube where the dose is to keep it from slipping too far in.

A hair elastic will work too... I've had to take mine out of my hair to do it many times LOL
That is a very good idea...I'll have to try this!

Oh Jen, you poor thing...dont beat yourself up...and please dont beat up your hubby!! I think that has happened to many of us. Accidents happen and you called vet out just to be safe...good for you and Im sure your little one will be just fine.
Thanks for your kind words! greatly appreciated!

I think I will try the hair tie thing too- would be pretty easy really and will ensure no mistake on my part again. It's always just shocking when it happens, LOL

Latest posts

Back