Help with sick mini!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking for some help with my minis they have the vets confused
default_no.gif
Mickey spent four days at the equine hospital with a temp of 103-104. Now my other mini Ace is acting the same heavy breathing and high temp. Thinking of taking him in to the university tomorrow. The vets ran all sorts of test but could not find a cause for the fever
default_no.gif
Mickey is touch and go at this point and we are trying an antibiotic. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks for reading

I'm so sorry for your troubles, the only time one of my minis had high respirations and a fevor was when she had a respiratory infection. It was treated with antibiotics for 10 days and she was fine. Hope some one can help.

Ditto on what has been said. Somethig to bring down the fever and pushing liquids in everything, wet hay, small amounts of soupy feed, soaked alfalfa cubes, add water to EVERYTHING! As long as they are passing manure it is important to try to hydrate them in every way possible, esp. when their fever is down, even if it is only due to the meds. Sometimes those intermitent reductions in the fever is the ideal time to keep their digestive track going, but only if they are passing manure and have gut sounds! Grass is ideal for hydration too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for you and your minis. Long time ago I had a really sick mini, not even a yearling, with a horrible respiratory infection, it was the middle of winter and I was so scared. She was on antibiotics and I thought she would never get better. It took time and she made it through ok. I know how you feel.

A high temperature isn't unusual with a respiratory infection such as rhino or flu, or even strangles. I've had horses with a high temperature that never showed any actual signs of a respiratory infection but I assumed it was a "mild" case of rhino or flu. Usually I just let it run its course but if the fever is high I do give a dose or two of banamine to (hopefully) make the horse feel a little better. If there is any size of pneumonia or respiratory distress I'll give antibiotics--obviously antibiotics have no effect on a viral infection but they can help to ward off a secondary bacterial infection--or treat a secondary bacterial infection that may have already gotten a hold.

I've also had one strangles outbreak where only the first 3 horses to become ill had any sign of a respiratory infection (snotty nose, goopy eyes)--the ones that became ill later had only a high fever for a few days.

I don't know what's wrong with your minis, but have you taken them to a show or anywhere else lately? That could be an important clue in the diagnosis.

Yes, frankly its quite annoying and makes you look stupid. It's called an FUO (fever of unknown origin) .

Good news is usually if tests are normal then symptomatic treatment usually works.

With >1 sick a contagious disease seems likely.

Dr Taylor

"Yes, frankly its quite annoying and makes you look stupid. It's called an FUO (fever of unknown origin) . "

Thanks much Dr Taylor. I was just looking for some other input. I get that that is what they called it. Antibiotic seems to be working sorry I asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what they call it in humans too, at least until they find something. Sometimes, it resolves without ever knowing where it came from! I hope your babies are doing better. Any update?

As others say, make sure that he is drinking. Offer Gatorade, water with molasses mixed in it, wet his hay, his grain. Whatever to push the fluids. Is he getting Banaminie or Bute for the fever? That will also help them feel better.

"Yes, frankly its quite annoying and makes you look stupid. It's called an FUO (fever of unknown origin) . "

Thanks much Dr Taylor. I was just looking for some other input. I get that that is what they called it. Antibiotic seems to be working sorry I asked.
I'm sorry, I should have edited my post. I was afraid I didn't communicate well.

What I meant is that it makes the Vet working the case look stupid. I'm afraid it came across that I meant the owner. I'm sorry for that, poorly done on my part.

I didn't give any further suggestions because a case like this is better treated by the Doctor that saw it and not somebody from afar.

Again, I'm so sorry for the lack of understandable communication on my part.

Dr Taylor

I don't have any insight but have been hoping for positive outcomes with both your horses.

Ok I am glad that I wasn't being called stupid

default_yes.gif

Both boys seem to be doing better today! I had another vet look at him and they think he banged his nose and now there is an acces, which would cause the swelling and the fever antibiotics seem to be working today he has had a normal temp with no banamine
default_aktion033.gif
I usually have good results with the university this time there seemed to be a lot of miscommunication, made me worry they were missing something so I though I would ask around. He is eating and drinking great

Ace is still labored breathing but no fever today, thinking this is unrelated to Mickey's case. He might have a respiratory infection or heaves. Not really the season for heaves though? I was told to watch him, separate him from the group, and check temp. I have started soaking hay so add fluids. He is picking at his grain and not interested in his hay. ?

Thanks for everyones concern and input it is much appreciated. All i got from the first group of vets was "he is a mini and they are inbred so they get sick all the time" really lost faith in finding a diagnosis from them after that statement.

Thank you Dr Taylor sorry for the interpreting you statement wrong!

How is Mickey doing? Did you find out what is wrong?
Mickey was doing great until Monday
default_no.gif
. His fever has come back and the swelling on the nose is on both sides now not just the left. Fever is 103s. Treating with banamine for now until we can get him back to the university. He is going first thing in the am.

He also has always had a perfect bite but since the swelling he has an underbite. does anyone have any other ideas? I keep getting I don't know from the vets and he has had four or five look at him!

Scope the nose and ultrasound belly and face is what they are going to try tomorrow. x-rays have been done and new ones last night they look normal.

so frustrated and worried about him
default_no.gif

Poor baby
default_sad.png

Could he have an impacted tooth (or teeth) that has infected his nasal cavities?

Prayers for your boy!

Poor baby
default_sad.png

Could he have an impacted tooth (or teeth) that has infected his nasal cavities?

Prayers for your boy!
I was thinking impacted tooth...hoping the scope will help. Everyone else is normal and healthy so I would think if it was some kind of virus it would have spread by now.

Mickey is in need of prayers and positive thoughts. We went back to the university for more tests and he now has a stomach impaction..the fever is hard on his little body and there still is no sign of why it's there. So IV fluids tonight, If he makes it through the impaction we will do a ct scan to see if there is something there that is not showing up on the x-rays. waiting to hear back from all of the blood work and fluid samples that were taken today. : ( the barn is too quite with out my little Mickey Blue Eyes.

Latest posts

Back