help with horse weight issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have posted here a couple times the info is fantastic and I have learned alot thank you all.I have a question my horses eat grass hay and get regular exercise whether it be turn out or actual roundpen workthey are all in good flesh no ribs showing no hip bones ect. I have had all there teeth checked and they are wormed on a regular rotation. now for my question they have good weight but there backbone seem to stick up a bit ive tried several grain mixes and cant seem to bring that up any suggestions. thanks

What exactly are you feeding now? how big are your minis? How long have you tried the different grain mixes for? Its takes at least 3-4 weeks to see a noticeable difference.

From what you describe it sounds like a protein deficiency. One simple way to add protein to their diet would be to add alfalfa pellets or cubes to their diet. If you'd rather not feed alfalfa, then a ration balancer might be the way to go; they are designed to balance the hay you feed. The formulas for grass are high in protein and then vit/mins to balance average grass hay/pasture. They are fed in small amounts, minis depending on size only get 1-2 cups per day (sometimes less if its really concentrated).

I give as much hay to my guys but with orchard grass. Can you tell us more about the grain? Like the guaranteed analysis? Also do you know how much a cup weighs? It sounds like to me they could use more grain or a different type of grain.

If you are only feeding 2 pounds hay, I'm guessing they are short on hay.

My 35" mini weighs in at around 325# and isn't fat, at that size, they should get a minimum of 3.5# hay daily (and that is only if they get a significant amount of other feeds, if majority of the diet is hay, then at least 5# hay would be better).

The two 33" are probably around 275# give or take depending on build, so should probalby get 3-4# hay daily.

She said she is feeding 2 lbs 2 Xs a day, so they are getting 4lbs of hay a day
Oops, you're right, I missed the word "twice"; but that still could be a little light for the 35" mini.

And, I'll go with my orginal response, that it sounds like they are short on protein if they are thin along their spine.

I agree with chandab, sounds like they need an increase in protein. Timothy hay can be extremely variable in protein content depending on the growing conditions that year and how it was harvested. I feed a timothy mix too but I also feed a balancer pellet and a bit of flax seed to each horse once a day and will add alfalfa some years to make up for the lower protein in the hay. I base my diet on 2% of the horses ideal weight and teak it from there depending on whether they seem to gain or loose weight on that amount.

Without really knowing what type of grain they are getting it's hard to judge. A cup of grain twice a day may not be enough. Also are these junior, adult, or senior horses? That can help too knowing their ages.

I have 3 minis that range from 31-33" and do fine getting 4lbs of good quality orchard grass a day. I also have a 36.50" mini and she can go up and down in weight like crazy. She was getting 6lbs of hay a day a long with 2-3lbs of junior grain a day, now she is only gettling 1lb of grain a day and 4lbs of hay and she looks great.

Without pictures or more info on the feed you use, I'd go with need of more protein.

Im feeding nutrena safe choice for easy keepers,ponys,and miniatures most the animals are between 2 and 5 one 12 the 12 year old is the only one who isnt needing much. the feed is 14 % protein and 7 % fat has starches and vitanins ect. lbs of feed per 100 body weight is .50 -.75 3 cups weighs 1lb so id say my estimate is close.sorry it took so long and thanks for all your comments

I would say that they may need more grain. I use a weight scale that you can get at walmart for real cheap and I always just weigh my food out. I used to go by volume but this is a much more accurate way at figuring out how much to give out. Another thing is with my personal experience I had bad luck with SafeChoice. Had to feed a whole lot of it to keep weight up and the horse got a dull coat from it.

I'm having success with the Glo line feeds by ADM. This is my 36.50" 3 year old mare she is currently getting 1lb of JuniorGLO and 4lbs of orchard grass.

418618_3528328934944_670206641_n.jpg

Very nice. no one here carries that brand i have nutrena . or purina but the feed store has to order it and sometimes they dont get it . also have Royal somerhing but i cant afford it. thank you for all your help i will get the scale and try increasing it .

Very nice. no one here carries that brand i have nutrena . or purina but the feed store has to order it and sometimes they dont get it . also have Royal somerhing but i cant afford it. thank you for all your help i will get the scale and try increasing it .
Can you get Ranch-Way feeds? The company is based out of Ft Collins. I fed their products when I lived in Loveland, several years ago; at that time they didn't have any low sugar/starch feeds but now they do. I just started looking at their new products (well knew to me), and this one looks pretty good, especially for minis: http://www.ranch-way.com/products/horse-feed/defiance-lite Since your horses sound a little thin along the backbone, this one might be a better choice at this time: http://www.ranch-way.com/products/horse-feed/defiance-sound-starch

I wouldn't recommend it now, as minis don't typically need so much starch in their diet, but I'm pretty sure I fed the Showflake 12: http://www.ranch-way.com/products/horse-feed/allamerican-showflake-12 But at the time I just had saddle horses, and they pretty much got grain as treat; they primarily got high quality grass hay.

I would increase your hay and feed a little bit for a couple of weeks and see if that is starting to work, then go from there.

Too much protein is not good for any horse. It is very hard on their kidneys and the joints of growing animals.. A good grain is what is most important as well as a good quality hay.

No grain tells you how many calories are in their feed. You can read the ingredients and of course it will tell you the amount of fat and protein and vitamins. I have spoken to several nutritionists over the years. You can probably find one at your local feed mill. Sales people have no idea what is good and what is not, take Tractor Supply as one of the stores that have sales people who have no idea. I feed my younger horses 4 cups each feeding of a 12% protein 6% fat pelleted grain plus about 1/2 flake of hay. The grain is about 2200 calories a day. Also, my mares with foals by their side are on a 12% protein with 12% fat ( about 3500 calories a day) along with costal and alfalfa hay. My older mares are on 2 cups of pelleted grain 1x a day with 1 flake 2x a day of costal grass (Still they are a bit fat). Beat Pulp will put a top line on them as will exercise.

There is hay and there is hay. It is best to buy from a farmer if you can. Good horse quality hay. Where the fields have been fertilized. A good portion of the hay out there has been grown for cattle which do not need the nutrients that horses do. It is also best to buy 2nd or 3rd cutting if you can and hay that has not been rained on. Hay that has been rained on is now cattle hay.

When I lived in MN they were on alfalfa and oats for the older mares and the younger ones were on a pelleted feed, but only about 2 cups a day. I got the alfalfa straight from the farmer who grew it just for horses. I always got 2nd and 3rd cutting from him. Really good hay.

So, I guess what I am saying. You have to see what is best for your horses starting with the quality of hay that you are feeding. Then the caloric intake from your feed. Going higher in protein is not the way to go. You can do more damage than good. (this includes dogs as we give them way too much protein which can cause joint problems in both dogs and horses)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back