Senior Biggie Horse Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
BACKGROUND: We have a friend, Amy, who leased out her 15.2 Big Boned "Mutt" Gelding over a year ago because of divorce and she had to move. "Phat Boy" will be turning 30 this summer and was very healthy, weighing over 1200 lbs., (teeth good too) when she delivered him to the people. It was March when she went to visit him and discovered he'd been on a deep snow covered pasture with NO extra hay during our bad winter. He had rain rot and had been harassed for months by a young mare who didn't like him. But what was worse was that he had dropped OVER 200 LBS. She immediately ended the lease and called us. We agreed to have him come to our place.

NOW: It's been just over 2 months and he is almost back to his normal weight and his coat is now the shiny black it once was......BUT, Amy feels that he has a problem with his left shoulder....an injury from his winter neglect. He's not limping, but she got on his back in the barn a couple of days ago and said she felt something was wrong. She knows how to do massage and stretching therapy and has begun that.

QUESTION: She is wondering if anyone can recommend specific exercises to strengthen and correct him as much as possible. He is getting a joint supplement. She hopes to get him back to where she can ride him lightly for leisure only, but if not, at least let him be comfortable as a pasture pet. (She is a little woman...maybe 100 lbs.?)

At 30 years, there may be little to do extra as it's probably age related arthritis. A joint supplement and pain relief may be all that can be done. B-L solution or pellets is a decent herbal pain reliever; and there is another that someone recommended to me that has willow bark (aspirin) added that she prefers to the B-L products. [Give me a few to get the name of that other product, just came to me: Easy Willow (comes in a yellow bucket), and I think it's a Finish Line product, but not certain on that.]

Thank you, Chanda for that.... It very well could be arthritis considering the neglect he received during the winter months. I will mention that to Amy.

We have used Butless Pellets in the past for a couple of our oldsters..... I JUST learned about Willow! I saw a post on FB the other day how Willow leaves

are an anti inflammatory! That's cool. (We have two big willow trees on the property.)

Thank you, Chanda for that.... It very well could be arthritis considering the neglect he received during the winter months. I will mention that to Amy.

We have used Butless Pellets in the past for a couple of our oldsters..... I JUST learned about Willow! I saw a post on FB the other day how Willow leaves

are an anti inflammatory! That's cool. (We have two big willow trees on the property.)

If it is arthritis, previcox might also help. My old gelding (30's) was on it for about three years for hock and stifle arthritis. It is a little expensive, but it was worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to post from home yesterday but my internet connection was being useless as always.

Just wanted to add that Id consider getting a chiro out to have a look at his back. If he did slip on the snow and he has been left for sometime without attending to the injury / issue then other parts of the body are going to start compensating and the shoulder would definitely be one of them.

Your poor friend must have been shattered to find out her fur friend wasnt taken care of, so happy to read that she was able to end the lease quickly . Glad to hear that he is getting better now hes been moved to you.

Hope he continues to improve
default_smile.png

I'll check out previcox too. Thank you, Cayuse.

I agree Ryan...I suggested a chiro to her initially, but she's not financially able right now, plus she does know how to do a lot herself. As it is, we are not charging her board because she is bringing in her own grain/supplements.....We're just providing hay and a stall with a large paddock for him. And yes, Amy was horrified when she saw her old boy. She cried over the phone to us asking for help......

Glad she was able to bring him back "home" and that you provided that home for him!

As to exercises - flexibility stretching goes a long ways to helping - in combination with ANY chiro and the muscle massage that she knows. When an arab mare that was paralyzed on the right side (she couldn't even blink her right eye shut) was given to us, we brought her back by doing these stretches. I used carrots to "tease" her head/neck into different positions to help with bringing her "back". We eventually returned to riding her - even me with my much larger size than your friend is.

1 - do a halter pose stretch - just neck/head extending out

2 - halter pose stretch that includes stretching the legs out to the front

3 - halter pose that also includes stretching the hind legs behind him

4 - stretching head down to his knees - not grazing but w/ muzzle tipped up between legs & crest "curved" or "bowed up"

5 - bringing that head stretch further back - w/ muzzle under the girth area, whole front end extended and lowered

6 - bringing head/neck around in increments - until he can stand with his head at his withers - both sides

7 - bringing head/neck around in increments - until he can stand with his head at his barrel - both sides

8 - bringing head/neck around in increments - until he can stand with his head at his flank - both sides

9 - pick up and stretch front leg forward - with knee bent, upper leg level and lower leg hanging freely

10 - pick up and stretch front leg forward - w/ leg fully extended, starting low and building until leg is level from chest floor to hoof

Some horses, as with people, simply never become flexible enough to do these full stretches. If they seem to bother him, of course, bring it down a notch.
default_smile.png

Of course the stretching starts gradually and for very short amounts of time to start.

"T-Touch" is also WONDERFUL!!! Linda Tellington-Jones - several books and videos out.

Light therapy. Magnet therapy. Acupressure (T-Touch if you will), Acupuncture. Myo-fashia (spelling?) release - especially over the shoulder muscles. Even just leading him to get him into stronger conditioning will do a lot - rebuild the muscles, ligaments & tendons with "work" and she may find pain and issues made less so by a lot.

If you have access to a swimming hole or river - cold running water that the horse swims in can also naturally do wonders.

The front leg stretches may cause the horse to rock back on his hind legs/haunches and "pull back". This is a good thing.

There are other stretches that can be done for whole body health. Even circling the tail and then standing balanced directly behind him and using your body weight to slowly pull tail out away from the body for a full body stretch. Horse will learn to pull, oz per oz, against you. The horse needs to be used to his tail being handled and you being behind him.

Also, something that I found worked well as our ponies started aging and their muscles/backs started sagging - I hold my hands so that the fingers/nails extend up in circles (palms up) and press lightly into the belly in different spots. This makes them briefly tighten belly and lift back. Be careful, the horse may get irritated and reach around to bite or cow kick forward to dislodge that "annoying belly bite"... I do a couple of belly presses on all of our ponies when I groom them - on each side.

Latest posts

Back