Help with breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had a 6 y.o. maiden mare out for breeding since February. After several unsuccessful breedings, she was US before and a couple times after breeding.

The first US found a beautiful follicle so she was hand bred easily.

Next day another US showed the follicle was still there, so tried another hand breeding... she kicked the h*ll out of the stallion!!

The last US, done a few days later, showed the follicle STILL there. The vet thinks she isn't producing eggs.

She's cycling normally... not too obviously, and timing is normal. She's had shots on at least 2 occasions to get her to drop the follicle, but no success.

Any ideas?? Would lutalyse help?

Kari

A DOSE OF HCG SHOULD CAUSE HER TO OVULATE IF SHE IS GOING TO.

I WOULD ASK THE VET ABOUT CYSTORELIN... AND MAYBE A TRIAL OF REGUAMTE FOR 10 DAYS... TO SHUT THE SYSTEM DOWN SO TO SPEAK AND THEN A SHOT OF ESTRUMATE TO BRING HER BACK UP... MOST MARES WILL BE READY TO BREED (STANDING) ON THE 5TH DAY AFTER ESTRUMATE (SIMILAR TO LUTALYSE, SMOOTHER SHOT FOR THE MARE).

BUT I WOULD GO ON THE ADVICE OF YOUR VET... SINCE THEY ARE THE EXPERTS.

Thanks you guys, the vet is researching... she's not sure yet what would be the best course of action.

I thought I'd find out what other breeders recommend...

Kari

At this point I think you need to see if she got in foal after the breedings. It sounds like you timed the breeding correctly.

What was the size of the follicle??

I want to say 35, but I'll double-check tomorrow......

But if she never dropped the follicle, isn't it impossible for her to become pregnant?

Kari

Kari

She may be making hemoragic non-ovulatory follicles - not all that unusual in minis, but a real pain to deal with. They pretty much have to resolve on their own and even tho "technically" a mare could get pregnant on a breeding, I have never had one do so. All you can do is wait it out - but first check and see if that is what is happening. If the follicle looks "cloudy" and has "stuff" floating around in it it is a non-ovulatory follicle. Sadly, some mares are more prone to these and often repeat the cycle.

Stacy

I agree with Stacy, sounds like an anovulatory follicle. I know they are a pain to deal with and at the clinic where I work they have tried all kinds of drugs to get them to resolve, but they seem to do so when they're good and ready regardless. If she's not responding to HCG, that sounds like the most likely explanation! I hope she cooperates with you soon!

Dang it all!! But I suspect you're both right. The vet did say on the 2nd US that the follicle looked like it may rupture.

Looks like I may be bringing Gracie home.

I'll let y'all know what happens........

Kari

She's bred!!!

She was on Regumate for two weeks, bred her, gave her a shot to make her drop the follicle (Estrumate), and kept her on the Regumate.

:D

Kari

Yay!! Wow that is wonderful news. You must be so pleased. Now the counting begins.
default_smile.png

Congratulations! I hope all goes well and you end up with a healthy, beautiful foal.

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Congratulations!!!!! Hope all goes well and we see a happy healthy foal next year!!!!

Back