Help with a

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
We have a mare that came here the end of April, she is a dominant mare and rules the herd here. The problem is she acts like a stud, when a mare is in heat she mounts them and keeps them away from everyone. Yesterday I had taken her and another mare out of the pasture to put the stud in with the rest of the mares so he could breed a mare that is in heat, I am breeding this mare on her foal heat to get her earlier in the year. Well at the end of the day I brought the stud back in and let the mares back out together and Wine took of after the other mare and foal like a stud, head down low and started to beat her up and kicking, biting and even went after the foal!! I ended up having to chase her down and rescue the foal and seperated them again. Wine screamed like a stallion all night, pacing the fence!! We have bred this mare twice and I took her to the vet to get a ultrasound on her to see what is going on, she is absorbing the fetus right now, so we are running a culture on her. Any suggestions on why I have a mare confused about her sex?
default_wacko.png
:

Anyone ever experience this? I understand the mounting and I have seen that in big horses before but not the aggressiveness.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!

i would have a thyroid test run. sounds like her hormones are totally out of whack!! good luck

[SIZE=14pt]I know cows and horses are nothing alike BUT I worked on a dairy and we had a cow go "bully" on us. She would fight the bulls OFF of the cows in heat. She even got to the point where we thought she was bred (over 2 years open) and dried her she took over the dry lot. She would paw the ground at anyone that came in the pasture. The cow never settled and we sold her later....... we never did find out what was wrong with her.... she even LOOKED like a bull...... [/SIZE]

Maybe sh eis just showing her dominance.... or dosent want anyone else to be bred..... I have a mare like that. Wont let the stud anywhere near another mare.

April

My mare Moose went nuts for a while

after she got pregnant. She did all those things.

I have raised her since she was a baby.

She acted like an out-of-control stallion for weeks.

(we wondered if that indicated she was carrying a colt-

nope- she had a filly)

The behavior stopped eventually and Moose became her old self.

Hope that helps.
default_smile.png

Sandy

Maybe there are Lesbians in the horse world????
default_wacko.png
:

He-He I have wondered that to!! She has no cysts, and looks good as far as everything looking normal and she has had several foals. If her culture comes back clean then I will have them do a thyroid check on her. She is still out there pacing the fence and screaming like a fool!! Between her and being on mare-stare I am going to lose it
default_wacko.png
: !!!

I would say hormones. I have a full size mare that is close to the same way. She has a foal at her side now and is fine. Good luck.

www.carlfarms.com

Latest posts

Back