Help with a faith-based issue needed....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisaremighty

Reaction score
Yesterday a man that worked closely with my mother-in-law was killed riding his motorcycle (the other driver was totally at fault). This is the 2nd person close to her to have died on a motorcycle, the first it was entirely his own lack of skills that killed him. WELL, my husband got a motorcycle last year and rides it in good weather (he'd grown up riding dirt bikes, so was not new to them at all). It broke her heart, she didn't speak to him for days. Anyhow, fast forward to yesterday's accident, of course, she is freaked out all over again and I'm certain she slept well since he got it because she is devoted to my husband.

Anyhow, I need some help from anyone who might know of a good Bible passage or some other thoughts I can convey to her to help her deal with this loss and not worry so much about my husband.

I feel that we are preoredained to our death. Yes, I know a lot of you will disagree with that, but those that do agree, is there a scripture or poem that you know of that will support this? I think many deaths seem like they could have been avoided, but if you believe in God, then you take it on faith that we are called home when it's "time."

I really don't want this to turn into a debate.
giveup.gif
wink.gif
I'm just wanting some help from those with my same beliefs as to what to say to ease her mind. I've searched the net and can't find much. I'm not big on actual organized religion, therefore, I don't have a clue where to look. I'm spirtual just the same though, just don't need an actual church and the politics that go along with it in my life.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for any help!!

PS. forgot to add that my MIL is a very religious person. She reads her Bible daily.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think when you are born you are like a book, a diary if you will, each day is filled with events, good and bad and when the book is full, you are done and you die. I won't even go into another life after death ok?

Predestined? Maybe. I think that by thinking about this may make us rethink living each day as though it may be our last. With the amount of pain I have and my life, I awaken each day and thank God for another day, painful or painfree. When I go to bed I thank him for another day good or bad, if I try, even the worst of days has at least one Good thing.

Today was a bad day but one good thing, no two....I won playing video monopoly with Shain for the first time, and Missy went to her feeding stall tonite without a halter or leadline and returned to her mom the same way.

I use the Serenity Prayer for many occasions.

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Marty. I think that will work quite well. I've heard the prayer before, but I couldn't remember what it was called or how it went.
wacko.gif

Deb, I think that is a great outlook on life. Especially one that is filled with the kind of constant pain you deal with. I always admire how brave you are and how dedicated you are to your critters. You have such a big heart (of course, you do too Marty
wink.gif
).

capall beag said:
There is a very good few verses in the bible about how worrying is wasted time, exactly what you are saying!I will try and look it up for you!

I will ask my Mum.

480929[/snapback]

That would be great! Thank you!!
saludando.gif

Here are some that may work for you...

*Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God".

*Matt.11:30 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest..."

*John 14:1 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."

*John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Hope that helps some.

minisaremighty said:
PS.  forgot to add that my MIL is a very religious person.  She reads her Bible daily.
yes.gif

480837[/snapback]

Kathy, Finding a comforting verse from the Bible is a nice gesture but if as you said she spends a lot of time reading it, she apparently still hasn't found peace in it. A lot of people are very religious but do not trust God or even remotely understand faith and spend their lives in constant worry.

I'm sure as a mom yourself you can relate to the fact that it is difficult if not impossible for most mothers to EVER stop worrying about her kids, no matter how old they get. Maybe just talk to her as you'd like to be, and reassure her often that your hubby is as careful as he can be. Other drivers are usually the main problem for bikers anyway and there is not a thing anyone can do about that--except pray, a lot!
wink.gif

Sometimes what people need most is to be able to talk out their fears and be listened to without judgement and without the pressure that someone needs to fix it for them.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I did speak with her for a while this morning before she went to work. I think she was feeling better. I didn't realize that the same day her friend died that her husband went to the Dr. for a swollen lymph node. They are treating it with antibiotics first but told him it is most likely a cyst or tumor. So I'm certain she has an underlying fear that it may be a tumor.
no.gif
So she was having a really bad week this week. Definitely testing her faith, but she still has it.

I think you are right Triggy, that a lot of this has to do with the "mothering" thing. She's always been a worrywart when it comes to her kids and grandkids. So much so that she's overstepped her boundaries once or twice and had to be asked to step back.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

[SIZE=14pt]Jesus said "Cast your every care on me." Remind your MIL that it also says "If two or three shall agree in my name...... I will do it" Have a prayer with her or encourage her to get together with praying friends . If we cast our cares on HIM that means that we dont have to carry them anymore, they are cast off. There have been lots of times in my life that all I had to rely on was that promise that HE would take care of it...there was nothing more to do and no use to worry. I have an Aunt that worries about everyone and everything. She is a christian too but she has a hard time just laying it all down and trusting God. My Uncle says she will never die because then who will God get to worry for him in her place! lol. We tease her about that.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Psalm 139 is a beautiful passage that talks about God knowing all about you.

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too said:
minisaremighty said:
PS.  forgot to add that my MIL is a very religious person.  She reads her Bible daily.
yes.gif

480837[/snapback]

Kathy, Finding a comforting verse from the Bible is a nice gesture but if as you said she spends a lot of time reading it, she apparently still hasn't found peace in it. A lot of people are very religious but do not trust God or even remotely understand faith and spend their lives in constant worry.

I'm sure as a mom yourself you can relate to the fact that it is difficult if not impossible for most mothers to EVER stop worrying about her kids, no matter how old they get. Maybe just talk to her as you'd like to be, and reassure her often that your hubby is as careful as he can be. Other drivers are usually the main problem for bikers anyway and there is not a thing anyone can do about that--except pray, a lot!
wink.gif

Sometimes what people need most is to be able to talk out their fears and be listened to without judgement and without the pressure that someone needs to fix it for them.

480993[/snapback]

I agree whole heartedly.....

and all things happen for a reason but we may never know what that reason is...and that is the basis of faith.......

Latest posts

Back