Help. The best way to give a horse a pill????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yogurt works well, too with the crushed pills ans syringe.

I've had some slurp it right off the spoon!

I didnt read the entire post but are they SMZ's? If so, they dissolve in water very easily. I put JUST enough water on them to make a paste- doesnt take much. Then I put just a tiny bit of molasses in it and put it all in a syringe. Be careful if you go out to my herd with a syringe in your hand cause they think it's candy and will run over you to get it!! They forgive you pretty quickly, LOL!! This way you are getting the correct dose down them and know for sure they are getting it all.

If it is a pill that does not break down quickly in water, then you can crush it and do the same thing....

I had a mare get bit on the nose about 2 1/2 years ago and am lucky to still have her here- I caught it JUST seconds after it happened. If I had not, it would have been too late and she swelled bad enough the nostril on her good side even swelled shut. Was able to get some tubing up the one side so she could breathe. She foaled one week to the day later and was almost back to normal at that point.

Hope your little one is ok and recovers without any problems! My neighbors had a couple bit by a slightly different type of rattler and they lost a couple of dogs and a horse that summer.

I also highly recommend the yogurt too- make sure it says on the carton that it has LIVE bacteria (culture) in it. So many nowadays do NOT. Also a Bayer aspirin will help with pain and fever. It has to be REAL aspirin, not tylenol, ibuprofin or other stuff.

I'm not a vet, just passing on what my vet has passed on to me.

Thanks for all the replies. I am melting them with hot water, adding yogurt and using a syringe. I think he has turned a corner. He is eating much better. He actually laid his ears back and took off when he saw me coming this morning. He even put up alittle bit of fight. Much more like our bratty Snicker :aktion033:

This is our second snake bite in two years (lost the first one). Anybody have any good snake remedies besides keep the grass short and cats. I am afraid to let them out into the pasture.

If the rubber tip on your syringe gets sticky ( I shot 1/2 of dose of meds on the stall floor when mine decided to quit sliding
default_wink.png
: ) spray it with Pam or similar, that helps it last longer. Also, I found that another suspension food you can use is pureed baby food, carrots, of course :bgrin . Glad to hear your guy is starting to feel better.

If you have to crush pills, I have found the Nunn Finer Pill Crusher (pictured at <http://www.nextag.com/NUNN-BUSH--2700000/pill-crusher/brand-html> ) to be a wonderful tool...and cheap too <G>

It will even crush up some pills that my coffee grinder had a problem with and it is much easier to clean....well worth the less than $10 it cost and a nice addition to the barn medicine cabinet.

Latest posts

Back