HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
If you all dont remember my post about our new born filly, and Milk coming out her nose, we had the vet out to see her..and UNFORTUANTLY she has a Cleft Palate
default_no.gif
So there is nothing we can do, and we have to say our goodbyes to our little girl Wednesday the vet is coming out to do this
default_bye-sad.gif

I am worried about Momma, what are some helpful things we can do to ease her pain, and sadness of the loss of her little girl?

Any helpful Ideas that a foal would enjoy, in her last few days of life shes not in any pain, and she doesn't have phneuma(spelling is way wrong sorry) yet, so what would you want to do if you were a foal to fulfil some happyness?

Everything happens for a reason, and we know she will in a better place! Godbless her little soul!

OMG what a sad thing to have to look forward to...l'm so sorry
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry Kayla. How utterly horrible for you, knowing that is the only option. You are such a good horse mommy for having the courage to make the decision. Hugs to you.

I'm not sure what you can do to make it easier on mom. Maybe if you can plan to have time to leave the foal with her for a while until she understands her baby is gone. The mares seem to eventually "get it" although some faster than others. There's no sugar-coating it; it will be hard on her and you.

default_bye-sad.gif
little one. Godspeed.

Oh no that is so sad. I was hoping it was just the mare had too much milk for her baby.

I am so sorry you have to make this decision and it will be so hard for you but we will be think of you and your mare and foal

I am so so sorry, my heart breaks for you. I agree about leaving the little one with the mare after she has gone to the rainbow bridge for a short time. Then I would remove the mare and put her in with other mares that do not have foals at their sides. Exercise and having friends will help her with loneliness and her udder. You may ask around or ask your vet if anyone is raising an orphan mini that she could adopt or could at use some of her milk. Otherwise her udder will be really big for about a week and then will finally start to recede.

Again I am so sorry.
no.gif

I'm so very sorry to hear your news about your little filly. I dont think you can do more for her during the last few days other than let her carry on as normal. Is she normally out with other mares and foals? If so then just carry on as normal.

If your mare is used to being with your other mares and foals then once her little daughter has passed over the Bridge I would still put her out with her friends, carrying the foal with her and putting it down in a quiet corner where your mare can watch over it but graze around it. Then bring them both back into their stall as usual at nights. This is what we do until the mare suddenly accepts the fact that the foal has gone and one morning will wander off across the field to graze with her friends, leaving the foal behind. We have had mares take a day or so to leave their babies, and one that went 10 days, but once accepted they are happy to forget and carry on with life, and it is much less stressful and more natural, IMO, than forcing a sudden disappearance before the mare is ready.

Sending you ((((HUGS))))

Anna

I think you've already rec'd some great advice. I just wanted to add my condolences. I can't fathom how hard this is for any of you.
no.gif

oh no , thats so sad
default_sad.png
I was hoping there would be an operation to help her , I have tears in my eyes just thinking of you and her poor mum . Im so sorry

Whoa! wait a minute, how old is this filly? I had a filly born premature last year and she had a palate that wasn't closed, she also had milk coming from her nose for two weeks, the vet said as long as she din't show any signs of repirtory distress, to wait and see, well it closed on its own and now she is a healthly yearling. Unless it is severe I would get a second opinion before putting her down. That is if she is fine otherwise.

Wow, Now I really am beside myself, the vet said it wasn't a bad one at all..She said it was a small hole, and really far back...we are not sure when she was due...the mare was pasture bred, the vet did mention that she might have an upper respitory infcetion, as she does have green goo coming out of her nose too, but her lungs sounded good, and she is active and acts normal...

I certainly am not one to want this little filly to suffer, but did the vet give you any antibiotic shots to give, or give you any hope at all? My vet says this is common in some premmie foals, I just think you should try and get a second opinion if the foal is otherwise acting normal before putting her down. This is a very hard decision to have to make and it is just my opinion to follow up on all options available before sending such a little one over the rainbow bridge.

I certainly am not one to want this little filly to suffer, but did the vet give you any antibiotic shots to give, or give you any hope at all? My vet says this is common in some premmie foals, I just think you should try and get a second opinion if the foal is otherwise acting normal before putting her down. This is a very hard decision to have to make and it is just my opinion to follow up on all options available before sending such a little one over the rainbow bridge.
Riverrose, Did your foal cough sometimes? And did she have green snot coming out of her nose ever?

Yes she did have a cough, but no green discharge from her nostrils. Is its wrong to ask for a second opinion? I don't know how old this filly is, but I would think if she is under two weeks it may close. Otherwise then the situation is indeed grave. There is a surgery, but with minis the out look is not good as the jaw would need to be broken and even then recovery is not a given. Just saying I would try to get s second opinion if the foal is under two weeks old.

Green discharge generally indicates an infection (except in cases of choke where the green is food/hay/grass coming out the nostrils). So antibiotics are indicated unless you are going to put her down.

I have no experience in cleft palates in horses, sorry.

Best of luck.

Kayla, did your vet rule out choke as a cause for green snot? I had a foal that choked once and continued to do so for a while. Everytime she did, she would have stuff coming back up through her nose.

My only experience with a cleft palate was not good. The foal had milk coming out his nose from the first time he nursed. Unfortunately, he aspirated milk and developed pneumonia quickly. The foal was born at 4 in the afternoon and my vet couldn't come out until the next morning. By then, the foal was sounding really rattley. After examination, my vet found the opening in his palate towards the back of his mouth. Hard to detect initially. We put him down that morning.

Kayla, did your vet rule out choke as a cause for green snot? I had a foal that choked once and continued to do so for a while. Everytime she did, she would have stuff coming back up through her nose.

My only experience with a cleft palate was not good. The foal had milk coming out his nose from the first time he nursed. Unfortunately, he aspirated milk and developed pneumonia quickly. The foal was born at 4 in the afternoon and my vet couldn't come out until the next morning. By then, the foal was sounding really rattley. After examination, my vet found the opening in his palate towards the back of his mouth. Hard to detect initially. We put him down that morning.
Hey Becky, See our foal also has has the milk running out her nose since day 1, but we did milk the mare out 1 time right before nursing and nothing came out of her nose...but that was only 1 time!!! And 5 mins after that she drank again and it came out..so?

She doesn't have pneumonia yet at all vet said, no raspy in her lungs etc, but she suggested an upper respitory infection...

We could get a 2nd opinion but would have to find a vet.. But deff. worth looking into!!

The opening was found toward the back of hers too, a VERY VERY small one, she said where shes getting 3/4's of her food... and can suck it good..

I'm sorry more questions! Does she run around, buck, kick up, play, or is she depressed, sullen? How old is she? Does she act like she is in pain, cough up a lot, or is it dry? If she is aspirating milk you should be hearing some sounds in her lungs. I wish Dr. Taylor would come on line. I would hate to see you put down a filly that could be saved, but on the other hand, don't want her to suffer. I so feel your pain. I thought my filly last year was doomed, but she did recover, I don't want to give you false hope and the vet usually has all the answers, but sometimes you need to stand up and find out if ther is something else that can be done before giving up all hope. this certainly is a dire situation, and hope that you can find some other alternative, I wish you luck.

I'm sorry more questions! Does she run around, buck, kick up, play, or is she depressed, sullen? How old is she? Does she act like she is in pain, cough up a lot, or is it dry? If she is aspirating milk you should be hearing some sounds in her lungs. I wish Dr. Taylor would come on line. I would hate to see you put down a filly that could be saved, but on the other hand, don't want her to suffer. I so feel your pain. I thought my filly last year was doomed, but she did recover, I don't want to give you false hope and the vet usually has all the answers, but sometimes you need to stand up and find out if ther is something else that can be done before giving up all hope. this certainly is a dire situation, and hope that you can find some other alternative, I wish you luck.
I really appreciate your help! Filly does run around buck kick up and play! Never depressed acts like a normally lil baby besides milk coming out her nose. The vet said she didnt hear anything in her lungs at all. We are going to wait it out for a while, SHES NOT IN PAIN AT ALL!!! And is happy go lucky. She will just be two weeks old, this coming week...

If she's 2 weeks old and her lungs sound clear, I would be hesitant to put her down yet. I, too, would want to get a second opinion on that. Sure wouldn't want to put her down prematurely.

Back