HELP! Need advice on a show halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairygirl

Reaction score
O.K. Guys and Gals. I need some advice from all of you who show. I have a yearling colt just starting his show carrier and I want to buy him the arabian style show halter. He isn't a wild yearling and takes the showing well. 1st time I showed him in the western style halter but to be honest his nose is so little that it was hidden by the halter.

What I want is one that is made good. Not cheap junk that will come a part and I really don't know what kind to buy that is made good and made to last. It's hard buying off of the internet because I can't see it. So here is where you come in. Can you please recommend a brand or a type to buy? I don't care for the colored nosed ones. I like the stones, silver and gold. He is a black appy with blanket with a very small arabian type face.

I have one at home for practice so he can get use to the feel of the chain and if it breaks he can't go far. I want a nice one for showing. Or do you think since he is young and new to showing I should stick to the western type halter?

The halters the Double Diamond tack carry are very good and high quality, another durable kind I use are the ones bought off of ebay (quicksilverskys) The ones from DD are better quality in materials and are more popular. I use both and love them both, I use the ebay ones more for my young horses that are a little more touchy about things on their faces as the materials used are softer and form to the face better, (most bar nosebands with the silver and gold plate have a screw right in the middle of the nose that has to be covered but still I would think would be uncomfortable) also I have had a horse yank back very hard and another that freaked herself out to the point that she flipped over because a kid ran up behind her screaming but both times the halters held up well and seeing as it was used to keep the mare from banging her head on the ground that is pretty good if you ask me! Both types of halters are flashy if you get the better ones, the materials used is the only difference and that difference is reflected in the price.

These are two of my favorites from DD:

single stone halter

DSC_0034-1.jpg

beaded halter

blueandfullsisterpics011-1.jpg

and this is a couple examples of better ones from ebay:

blue holo halter-I have this one and love it!

silver/gold show halter

IMO the absolute nicest gold/silver bar noseband halters are the ones that come from Showtime. You can buy them direct www.showtimetack.com or from one of their dealers. I know Chimacum Tack and Star Lake Tack both sell Showtime halters, not sure who else does.

One thing to keep in mind is if you buy a yearling size halter now you will probably have to buy an adult size one too, if not next year then the year after.

that is what I'm looking for is something that will stay together in case he spooks. I would rather spend the extra money and get something nice that would last.

A friend of mine give me a brand new Royal King show halter. i went to clean the silver and the silver came off. It looked good before that happened. LOL.

Thanks for the tips. I'll sure check into them.

Showtime tack halters all the way! They are excellent quality and are gorgeous. Definitely worth the money.

Latest posts

Back