Help! My 06 babies are itchy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
2 of my 3 babies, 4-5 weeks old are getting bald spots from all their itching. I have looked them over with a fine tooth comb, no buggies. Talked with my vet, says if we had lice everyone would have it. His thoughts were possibly bug bites that the babies just itch and itch, almost turns into a habit for them or all that fluffy baby hair.

Anybody else having this problem? Anyone have any solutions? They look like sad little rag-a-muffins!
default_sad.png

Have you bodyclipped them yet? I know my filly got really itchy before I clipped her for the first time. Sometimes in that big foal coat, they get sweaty, which then makes them itch. My filly felt MUCH better after being clipped and then having a warm water sponge bath. Ours were all clipped by 2-3 months old because they were getting too hot under all their hair. They would of been clipped even younger had it been warmer. They might just need a good bath too. If they've been out running and playing and have long coats, they may have sweated and it might itch now that it's dry.

Good luck!

Jen

My aunts filly is doing that this year. A breeder neighbor said it may be from lice from birds as we have a big tree in the mare/foal pen and suggested we powder her. The other filly in the pen isn't doing that however. My aunt tried an iodine bath and that did not help.

I'm in northern Wisconsin, and we have woods and birds all around us..I have 9 foals and not a one is itchy. Sure hope you find out what is causing this, it would be interesting to know. Corinne

Latest posts

Back