Help! Lost 2nd baby this year.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always hard to loose a foal, but it is just what your Vet said a "run of bad luck" i think you should rebreed those mares, and i think it will be fine next year. My Vet always says MARE is a four letter word. And yes after 15 years breeding horses, i believe it!

I am so sory for your loss
default_sad.png

So sounds like it might have been a combination of horribly bad luck having 2 terrible dystocias this year, the second mare being a maiden mare, maybe possible some mineral and/or iodine deficiencies...

My first mare I am certain has been bred back. She has had several babies in the past for her previous owner and did well and she is absolutely a sweetheart so I am gonna keep her and give it another go with her.

I am still unsure about breeding back the second or selling her. She is a 5-year-old. She is about 33 inches tall. My stud horse is 29 1/2 inches tall. Have you all noticed that if you have a mare that has had dystocia that she tends to have trouble with every delivery or is each birth completely individual in this regard? Also, I have read that it is more common to have problems during a first delivery. Thanks so much for all your kind words and opinions. I know there are never any guarantees.

Juliet.jpg

My mare in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
With breeding any animal there is always risks but Dystocia is just very bad luck.

Latest posts

Back