Help!!! Is anyone up at this hour? Newborn foal eye problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupper

Reaction score
Hope someone can help. Our foal was born at 12:45 a.m. and it is now 3:13 a.m. We're concerned because the whites of his eyes appeared very red and bloodshot from the beginning and now they're swelling and flipping his eyelids inside out. Should we be concerned? Should we call our vet right away?

Help Please!

Lisa

I'm sorry that it doesn't look like there's very many people on here tonight.
default_sad.png
I have no experience with your situation but I know if it were me I'd be on the phone to my vet at least asking his advice about whether or not he thinks he needs to come out. It could be something harmless but it sounds scary and the eyes are one thing you don't want to leave too long if there is something wrong. Call the vet!

Leia

Thank you Leia. We've just placed the call to our vet and are waiting for him to call us back.

Ive never experienced the redness and swelling either but would most definatly call the vet as well, better safe than sorry, Please post what the vet says after you here back, I hope your new little one is gonna be ok, hang in there....

Sorry, its 6 am here and I just got back in from barn work.

Not uncommon at all. Probably from eye lashes being turned in and irritating the baby's eyes. Needs antibiotic eye ointment for sure. Usually this lasts for a few days, the foal will fill out, get better hydrated and gain some weight, and it will go away. BUT absolutley needs the vet to check for corneal abrasions and get eye ointment.

If it continues the foal might need a slight surgery to "fix" her eye lids so that the lashes don't turn in. It is painful and can cause blindness from the constant irritation.

Off to the shower now then work, good luck!

Robin

If the exit was tight it can squeeze the little face. My Missy had blood red eyes but it quickly cleared up a about 5-7 days without needing anything. I did ask my vet and she explained why this happens sometimes, mostly to the maiden foals. Robin makes a good point tho, IF the eyelashes are curled under the foal will need vet help for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your posts.

Our vet called us back around 4 a.m. and when we described what we were seeing, he didn't seem too concerned since the baby was still up and seemed strong and was nursing. He said to watch him and that he'd check things out when he comes here mid-morning. The time isn't going by fast enough for me!!

We'll post what he says later this morning.

Lisa

I agree that at least "some" of the problem is probably from the eyelashes curling under. The vet may "tack" up her eyelids for a few days to keep the lashes from curling under. The bloodshot eyes after birth is actually quite common & will usually disappear within a few days. Still wise to have your vet check her out tho.
default_yes.gif
:

We had the same thing this year-A form of conjunctivitis (hope I spelled it right) from the pressure of birth. It looks scary as all heck though! The vet was not concerned either and when he cam our gave an ointment and it helaed VERY fast. I think it was alla gone in 3 days but improvement was seen in 24 hours. Now you would never know. My vet says it is not uncommon.

I agree with the other posts here. I have had them born with red eyes due to a tight fit/pressure during birth, as well as being born with a mild conjunctivitis. CONGRATULATIONS on your new foal!! :aktion033:

I had a filly many years ago with eyelashes curled in and the vet just did a few small stitches and solved the problem.she was older but it did fix the problem.

We had the same thing this year-A form of conjunctivitis (hope I spelled it right) from the pressure of birth. It looks scary as all heck though! The vet was not concerned either and when he cam our gave an ointment and it helaed VERY fast. I think it was alla gone in 3 days but improvement was seen in 24 hours. Now you would never know. My vet says it is not uncommon.
Thanks for all of your posts. Sorry it's taken me so long to post an update.

Conjunctivitis is exactly what the vet says it is. The eyelashes are not causing the problem. He said that the trauma from birth made the conjunctiva swell and push out from under the upper eyelid. Then, being exposed to the air, it swelled more. Our vet pushed this back in and under the eyelid and held it there with gentle pressure. This alone did wonders to make things better. He also gave us an ointment to apply 3 times/day and we have to also push this membrane back in and under and apply gentle pressure. He already looks so much better!

Now to make sure he's passing enough manure. It's no longer the black, sticky meconium. Just want to make sure things aren't backing up as we lost a 10-week old to a fecolith 3 years ago.

I heard our new baby cough a little tonight and that's got me bothered too. Just don't want anything to happen to him. Do you think he could be choking on a piece of hay or something? He sometimes acts like he is nibbling on the hay that his mom has.

Latest posts

Back