Help for the computer challenged

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
Hi all!

Okay, I have some dvd's that I'd like to put on youtube. I know I have to start a "channel" or something like that, right? So, then what? I just put the disc into my computer and let it play while logged in on that channel for it to download? Is there a way to edit the disc either on the site or on my computer before I load it to the site? Do I need special software to edit it? I am just clueless.

Thanks!

Upload, Mimi, the term is "upload!"
default_biggrin.png
You download from a device to your computer, then upload from your computer to the internet.

It's been awhile since I uploaded anything to YouTube so I can't remember specific instructions but in general you need to first create a log-in so you have an account on the website. I don't think you have to do anything with the "channel," I believe that's something the website does itself or is just the name they use for your videos. Be sure to use YouTube's help files!!

Uploading from discs is much harder than doing so from your computer as the video there is often formatted for playing on regular DVD players and is not in a format your computer or YouTube is equipped to handle. You'd first have to convert or "rip" the file to a format YouTube accepts. There are local video places that can do that for you if you want. Frankly if we're talking years of family videos, that's exactly what I do. I take a pile of VHS tapes to a professional and tell them to give them back to me on discs.
default_laugh.png
If these aren't professionally produced DVD's or discs but rather ones your camcorder burned directly, you may very well be able to simply select the files, copy them to your computer hard drive and upload them from there.

Generally once you're logged into YouTube you just look for a button that says something like "upload my videos" and then follow the directions to select and upload the file from there. The Help section should be able to show you where to find that button and what formats it accepts. If you have a Windows machine you can also use the preinstalled Windows Movie Maker software which has a button at the end of your editing to save to disc, save to web, etc. That will do all the uploading for you if you tell it to.
default_wub.png

I wish I could give you more specific guidelines! Give me a call one of these days when we both have a night off and I'll go through it with you on my laptop step by step while you do it on your computer.

Leia

Upload, Mimi, the term is "upload!"
default_biggrin.png
You download from a device to your computer, then upload from your computer to the internet.

It's been awhile since I uploaded anything to YouTube so I can't remember specific instructions but in general you need to first create a log-in so you have an account on the website. I don't think you have to do anything with the "channel," I believe that's something the website does itself or is just the name they use for your videos. Be sure to use YouTube's help files!!

Uploading from discs is much harder than doing so from your computer as the video there is often formatted for playing on regular DVD players and is not in a format your computer or YouTube is equipped to handle. You'd first have to convert or "rip" the file to a format YouTube accepts. There are local video places that can do that for you if you want. Frankly if we're talking years of family videos, that's exactly what I do. I take a pile of VHS tapes to a professional and tell them to give them back to me on discs.
default_laugh.png
If these aren't professionally produced DVD's or discs but rather ones your camcorder burned directly, you may very well be able to simply select the files, copy them to your computer hard drive and upload them from there.

Generally once you're logged into YouTube you just look for a button that says something like "upload my videos" and then follow the directions to select and upload the file from there. The Help section should be able to show you where to find that button and what formats it accepts. If you have a Windows machine you can also use the preinstalled Windows Movie Maker software which has a button at the end of your editing to save to disc, save to web, etc. That will do all the uploading for you if you tell it to.
default_wub.png

I wish I could give you more specific guidelines! Give me a call one of these days when we both have a night off and I'll go through it with you on my laptop step by step while you do it on your computer.

Leia

closedeyes.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_pray.gif
Thanks, Leia. I'll give it a shot, but will likelu go over to my cousin's house and ask her to do it. She understands words like 'upload.' lol

Latest posts

Back