Help foaling out mare in Michigan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubysmommy

Reaction score
I bought a mare last month and as we were loading her onto the trailer, the previous owner announced that our new mare was exposed to her stallion for a September 2010 foal...
default_wacko.png
SERIOUSLY?? Well, I LOVE this mare so I was not about to abort the sale. I had her check and sure enough she is pregnant. When we found out I called her previous owner to let him know she was in foal and to get any other info about possible timing so I could narrow down her due date. I believe she will be due around Spetember 12th... He also informed me during this phone call that last year her foal was breech and died. Now here is my problem, I have NO foaling experiance with mini's. We have had several mini's for years but I don't do breeding. I do have some experiance with larger horse foaling but that was a while ago. Not to mention, we live in a very rural area and our closest vet is about an hour away. I am hoping to find a mini farm that would be willing to foal her out for me. I am in the norther part pf the lower peninsula, but I do not mind traveling the 4 hours to the southern area of michigan if I can find a place where I feel comfortable taking her. Cost is not a huge concern, I just want to make sure she is around a knowledgable mini person when she foals. I want to give her the best possible chance of having a successful delivery. And with my inexperiance, that is not here. Ideally, I would love to find a farm that is equipted with cameras that are marestair.com accessable so that I can be a part of everything. Everyone her has been such a great help here so I figured I would start my search for a farm here! Thanks!

There are a couple of places I can think of downstate that might be able to handle foaling out. You might try some of the trainers downstate.

If you have trouble finding a place, feel free to give me a call and I can help you get set up with watching for udder changes, camera, halter alarm, etc. I'm only a short drive away (Maple City) and happy to help. I've had a few foals here and make sure I am there for delivery each time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't find a place that does only Minis maybe you can find a place that foals out full sized horses.I used 1 near me for many years after I got burned out on mare stare.8 weeks straight of sleeping in the barn and watching cameras got to be too much.My foaling facility is operated by a very caring vet tec who has cameras 24/7 and lots of help always awake and watching.Good luck finding someone to take care of your mare.

You have A LOT of reading to do!
default_wink.png

Many of us have sections in our website about foaling.......both healthy examples and some about problems and how to deal with them.... We also have a Foaling Kit List.

A great book we have found invaluable for our library is "Blessed Are The Brood Mares" by M. Phyllis Lose, DMV. She also wrote a good follow up book, "Blessed Are The Foals".

With a little bit of searching on U-Tube, you should be able to find some different views of mares foaling. There are also some excellent Threads here on L.B. if you do a search.

Don't panic.......You have plenty of time to read, research, and visit with people before Sept. And be sure to post ANY questions!

If I was in that area and needed help I would call Jen Groters at Alvadar. They have quite the facility and 24/7 attendants.

Latest posts

Back