Help! Cooper got into the feed room!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope he is feeling better...keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

How is he this morning?
A friend of mine had a horse years ago get into the feed. She had to have the horse stand in buckets of ice water to prevent founder from what she said, along with banamine

Also, when / if giving banamine (I agree w/ Lisa but also think if the vet's not in touch SOON, I'd go on and give it as the vet will probably tell you to anyway), we always give the liquid injectable type but orally per advice here and per our vets. Our vets hate it to be given IM as it can cause abscesses and it will work fine orally.

Some good things to have on hand in addition to banamine for these kinds of things and general colic are ulcergard (I always give that if I'm giving banamine) and rompum as a sedative. My vet has had me give both these as they're on their way after I describe symptoms and vitals.

I hope he's doing well this morning!!!

Ditto to what Jill posted.........Buckets of Ice Water and the Banamine.........Everything she said.........

Hope your little guy is doing okay............The amount that he ate is scary........

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. IT WORKED!

He turned down hill right before my eyes. It was scary! I am just glad I realized what happened and I was home. We just got home from Texas a few days ago. My brother-in-law would not have been able to handle this if it had happened 3 days earlier.

Cooper is feeling better this morning, but what a night!

Thank goodness my husband and brother-in-law were here to help me. The vet ended up getting what he could out of Coopers stomach and pumping him full of charcoal along with other things. I cannot believe the amount he was able to get out of him. He actually got to the point where my husband and brother-in-law had to physically pick him up after he went down. We actually rigged a sling up with my husbands engine hoist to help keep him on his feet and kept them in ice.

I made the comment to Cooper while he was getting tubes put into his nose,"this will teach you to do that again". The vet looked at me and said "you wish!"

Yeah. I know....

Thank you for all the support.

MiniCooper said:
He actually got to the point where my husband and brother-in-law had to physically pick him up after he went down.
Oh my gosh!
default_new_shocked.gif
Poor Cooper.
default_no.gif
I'm so glad he had such a loving owner to take care of him.

Leia

I am really happy to read the update and want to tell you Cooper is VERY lucky to have such a dedicated family to take care of him!!!

Someone asked me recently, how do these sorts of things happen? Hadn't they heard that horses won't eat if their stomachs hurt? I had to explain that they aren't hurting when they are scarfing all that feed, the hurting comes later!

Sounds like things got pretty scary for you all for a bit there. Thank goodness Cooper is feeling better! I'm praying he continues to improve, and you can get some well-deserved rest!

default_aktion033.gif
YAY!!! So glad your Cooper is going to be OK!! Thank goodness you were right on top of things from the start!

Glad to hear your boy made it through the tough night
default_smile.png
Sounds like a very scarey ordeal
default_unsure.png

So happy to hear Cooper is feeling better
default_smile.png

That post made me go out and buy a new grain can. The one I had been using somehow ended up with a lid that did not go with it so it was just sitting on top of the can. Not that you were not on top of it, but it made me think about my own little grain buckets poor fitting top.

My friends all ask me if my mini is named Cooper because I drive a MiniCooper. I always thought it would have been an adorable name if my Moon did not have a name already.

~Lisa

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_488.gif
:SoCool
default_new_multi.gif
:HappyBounce Wonderful news!!!! Here's praying he continues to improve!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

I am so glad to hear Cooper is doing better--that was scary, he is a lucky little guy to have such caring owners
default_wub.png

I've used plastic totes for feed for a couple of years now, and am so glad I do. I've had horses get out several times and throw the totes around, but they can't get them open.

Yeah Cooper!!

Wow, I just got on here and read your story. I am so glad to hear Cooper is improving. Your quick reaction was the key. Cooper is so lucky to have you
default_wink.png

I keep my grain in an old chest freezer.There are 2 sections in it, on one side I have loose grain , and the other side I keep the unopened bags. I got the idea from another horse friend of mine many years ago. The horses, big or small, cannot open that heavy lid and the mice/rats can't even get to it! I think it keeps it fresher, too
default_biggrin.png
(Before the freezer, my QH that I had had for 20yrs , get the door open and get the lid off a smaller garbage can holding 100lbs, and he ate ALL of it , the vet and I were up all night, and I had to make THAT hard decision
default_no.gif
)

Hang in there, Cooper.

Latest posts

Back