Help before I lose my mind

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Everytime I think I actually have something figured out, I find out just how much I thought I knew and didn't LOL. First of all...... help me be sure I understand all this half and quartering stuff. I always had my kids show using the AMHR system, which I was thinking was the same open shows use, but now, I think it is actually the AMHA system that open shows use. Am I correct...the AMHA is where the exhibitor is on the same side of the horse when the judge is at the rear and on the opposite side of the head from the judge when he is at the head correct? I hope that made sense
default_wacko.png
: I tried to draw a diagram, but everytime I previewed it, it lined up different when it tried to post

Also, how many of you move for halter classes? After showing Arabs for a few years, we just let the judge walk around us. I typically only use the halves/quarters for showmanship. Is that what everyone else does? I thought I was good to go on all this stuff, but the switching back and forth from breeds and levels is discombobulating my small brain :new_shocked:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Another question...I don't like the thought of balding (just my opinion -what others do is their business) but I was wondering what different techniques you use. I know some use a 50 blade with just oil and I've seen some that use a magic marker any other suggestions? I'm not opposed to the 40 blade (would prefer not to use a 50)and then some type of "enhancement" but not sure what I feel is safest or best. The sad part about all these questions is that I really thought a few years back I was ready to move on from Ammy and try to train. I still think training is the easy part, but now I realize I was no where near ready to present other people's horses. The presentation and showman abilities are a whole different ball game than just getting the horse ready for the show !!!!
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
: Hats off to all those who are great at both and if any trainers ever decide they want to adopt a grown kid let me know, I'll work for supper and advice LOL

Thanks in advance for all help :saludando:

If you look at the Rulebook, it has a diagram drawn of all the correct Showmanship system. I think that will be a better thing to look at rather than us trying to describe what you should do. I know the AMHR Rulebook is easy to get right off the website at www.shetlandminiature.com

Moving for halter classes is similar to the Arabs. It's not as strict as Showmanship by any stretch of the means, but you will want to move at least a little if you are in the way so the Judge can see your horse obviously! The minis are a lot smaller than Arabs so it's easier for a handler to block the judge's view. At all times you should watch where the judge is and make sure you aren't blocking the judge's line of vision to your horse... just because he/she isn't standing right there and circling around your horse doesn't mean he/she won't glance over from another horse they are looking at to compare. If they can't see your horse and remember what they saw, that other horse might get placed above!

I think the magic marker is just for poor razoring jobs... like if you have a grey horse and there is white hair that you missed that you need to cover. I don't personally like razoring for local shows, particularly where your horse might be outside or in the sun for ANY length of time. At Nationals it didn't bother me at all to see the balded horses, the stalls are fully covered and so is the arena. Everything I do is for my horse's health and safety. Other than that it's just a personal preference for sure.

Andrea

I dont do showmanship but my daughter does.. AMHR uses the 1/2 system not the 1/4 system which IMO is much easier (1/2) many open shows tend to use the 1/4 system

You DONT have to razor your horse to place I have razored mine well had them done and they looked wonderful and had them done in a 40 with great results and locally done them entirely in a 10 and did well

Halter is well different for every horse of course it is wonderful if you have a horse that stands while you are at the end of the lead and doesnt require you to move at all if you go to Nationals and really try hard to not focus on any one person or thing in the arena you will be AMAZED at how much movement is really going on

I think you have dne well to realize that being an ammy has its advantages and moving into "training" or handling others horses to quickly isnt always the best thing as it is much harder then it looks
default_yes.gif
:

hi jackie

i still think there is a market for someone to help people train their minis. Not neccessarily for show even. but just basic ground manners, leading properly etc. I know a ton of new people and they are always asking how do you get them to whoa, stand etc etc. I have helped the ones that i can but I do not take any money as i want to stay an ammy so that limits how many i can help especially with gas so high etc. I think you could do well just teaching beginners these things and not having to present their horses in the ring if you dont feel your ready for that

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have made my request a bit clearer though LOL. I do know how the patterns for 1/2 and 1/4 go, just not positive which they use for open and stock type local shows so was wanting to double check as I think I told my kids to practice the wrong one
default_wacko.png
: We have maybe two or three mini shows within 1 to 1-1/2 hours, the rest are at least 3 hours away so we usually go to some open, 4-H and fun shows so I want to be sure I'm using the right system. Also, I do move a bit when showing Arabs, but I don't do any particular pattern, just try to stay out of the way so the judge can see the horse like Disney mentioned. But for 4-H the kids pretty much have to do patterns when at halter so I just wanted to be sure they are using the right system. So -I know which pattern is which, but can't remember which the open shows use. The last couple years my health has bothered me so I limited my showing and didn't hit as many local shows, but plan to start again so needed to refresh my brain.

Also Lisa....I am very glad I didn't leave ammy. I was only considering it because my friends want me to work their horses, mainly Arabs for halter and ground training and then they show them. I love doing the actual horse work and my friends tell me they like the results they get. I thought about going pro just so I could actually get paid for working with the horses, but for now I think we'll leave it as it is. I do them a favor and they do something for me so we swap out. Not as profitable, but not as stressful as having to feel like I "had" to win because a client was paying for it. Now it can be fun and I can focus on the horses individual needs. LOL, also Lisa, I find it funny we all think different things are easier. You think 1/2 are easier, I so much prefer the 1/4 system as it makes more sense to me. I can use the safety of the judge reasoning to help me remember where i need to be and I need all the help remebering that I can get!

Hey Kay, Sorry, for some reason your post didn't show up before I replied. I wish there were more people around that did want that and I certainly don't mind helping anyone I can, but many people( except my friends that is) still feel that if I can't cut it as a great show person then I'm not a trainer so i guess I'll stick with the swaping favors method
default_yes.gif
: Too bad you can't make it to the Illinois fair this year though Kay. I plan to seriously improve on my showmanship this year. A couple years ago I won so I think I took it too lightly the next year and blew it. Then last year it was just hot and I was not in the best performing mood so my horses didn't feel they needed to be either and we just didn't do our best. This year I'm going to nail it though and even if we don't place where I hope to, I still want to leave the ring knowing we did our best or at least greatly improved ourselves. This will be little Blake's first year at showmanship too so I am so excited for him and he can't wait. He's a little disappointed that he can't bring his "big" pony (40" grade pony mare) that he has been working on training and is doing great with.

Latest posts

Back