Hello!!! New and green and excited!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
Hello all! I am in central TX and we are getting our first mini in another week!! It is a gift for my daughter who has been obsessed with horses since she could talk. She has no idea! She is turning 10 and this will be a birthday gift for her. We are pretty green to horses so we don't have a lot of hands on experience but we are learning as fast and as much as we can. She will be going to the minature horse farm to learn with a group of kids for more hands on experience. We are getting a little yearling colt, he is a chestnut appaloosa : ) I will be bringing him home in our conversion van!! I will be having LOTS of questions! I learned so much from backyard chickens when I was new to chickens so I was so glad to find this forum. Here is my first question, I may have to post in a new post to get an answer but here goes.... I am looking for a farrier near San Marcos/wimberley/canyon lake area can anyone reccomend one? Thanks!!

Welcome from sunny Southern California! You've definitely come to the right place to learn about minis! Welcome!!!
default_saludando.gif

Liz N.

Thanks! Here is a bit more info and questions... I will be keeping him in a dry lot we have build with a three sides shelter. Here is my other question... We have converted our chicken run so its half dog kennel ((chain link) panels and half fence we built ourselves, it's like horse fencing horizontal beams and cross beams (if that makes sense) I will try to post a pic if I figure it out... I got to thinking about the chain link though and I am concerned about him possibly getting a hoof caught. Has anyone used chain link before? It is 6 foot high so there is no worry of the top hurting him from points. We discussed just finishing out the fence and taking down the chain link but not right away (project for another later day) but if there is a possibility he would get hurt I want to avoid that.

OK, you have not asked this but I shall say it anyway- he needs to be gelded ASAP. He also needs company- horses are herd animals and need space to move and other horses around to keep them happy. He does not have to actually be in with other horses but he does need to share a fence line with them. Horses are not like dogs, they do get attached to people but not in the same way as a dog. He needs around quarter of an acre (at least) to be happy, and he needs other horses- I cannot stress that enough. It is great that your daughter is going to be learning from experts, but I hope you will be doing so as well.

I am sure someone in your area will put you in touch with a farrier but, I have to ask, have you really thought this through?

First of all, welcome! Congrats on the upcoming mini. And I love the San Marcos area. I spent 4 months living there while going to grooming school 10 years ago.

The only problem I see with chain link is that he will like to rub on it. Which is fine for him but bends your cain link a little and covers it in hair balls. I have a chain link dog kennel in my mini pasture and it has some "battle damage" from itchy horses. My 2 minis don't have a quarter acre to live on but they seem pretty dang happy. They get out for walks and to graze on the back lawn quite often and we are teaching them to drive so they get to get out and stretch their legs. As long as he is getting out often he will be fine without a full quarter acre. There are lots of horses that live in stalls in professional barns. Just be sure he gets out each day to stretch his legs and engage his mind.

I guess I don't believe that he has to have another horse either. It would be better to only have one if that is all you can afford. But be warned, minis are like potato chips, you often can't have just one
default_smile.png
You can, if you want, get a different type of companion animal like a goat if you want to. Just a pasture buddy for when you guys aren't around.

Good for you for doing plenty of reading and coming here to learn as much as you can. We all had our first mini at one point and will be happy to help you with any questions. Remember, this is a forum, so take each response with a grain of salt
default_smile.png
I got my two minis a couple of years ago (only planned on one but like I said, potato chips) and have loved having them. I have 1/3 acre total but they are on about 1/4 of my total property. They get running like colts out there and seem to have plenty of room to stretch their legs.

Again, congrats on the mini. They are fun little horses with big horse personalities!

The only thing I can think of that might help you is to find a local miniature horse club. Lots of hand on information helps a lot. Plus, if you plan on showing your mini that's a good place to learn! I agree with the companionship thing. When we could only keep one horse on our old property I got Bentley a goat. But now he has horsey friends so now she is just a pet goat. This website is a good place to learn and ask questions about almost anything! LB has really helped me out with my minis! Good luck!

Yes, I have thought about this for a few years actually. I have been wanting to do this for my daughter for a long time but I have always been a bit afraid of what might happen ff an accidental kick or fall from a full size horse so I thought a mini would be a perfect choice. I will be getting him gelded. As far as companions we will see how he does with his daily care... I have been thinking this through and may get a goat or possibly another horse.... I thought about a donkey but if I am going to keep an equine it just as well be another horse due to vet costs.... As far as I can tell it costs the same to keep a donkey.... We will see... Everyone starts somewhere. : )

Oh and my dd is in 4H also so I have lots of connections to people with experience... We are thinking about joining the local horse group, as far as I know there isn't a mini group. I am hoping to make a few 4h projects with this horse.

Lots of options for you. And, there are mini farms all around you.

San Antonio Area MHC http://www.sanantonioareaminiaturehorseclub.com

Alamo Miniature Harness Club http://saamhc.homestead.com/Enter.html ADS

Greater Houston MHC (mine) http://www.ghmhc.org/

Houston Area Carriage Association http://www.2infinity.com/haca/ ADS mine also

Central Texas MHC http://www.ctmhc.com/

There are several AMHA/AMHR/ADS clubs in the DFW area also.

To get your daughter started contact Tony Greaves in Buda, TX. His daughter Lauren works with young kids. http://www.littleamericaminis.com/

I am one of the Texas AMHA directors and we do AMHA as well as a lot of ADS. If you need anything contact me at [email protected]

Take care and good luck.

Welcome from a 4-H leader in CT with a miniature horse 4-H Club. Check out the 4-H section on our website (link below) for lots of information on minis that is updated as we go along.

Yes, minis are herd animals and will usually do better with equine company and that was how we got into minis; we bought our first one to keep our big horse company sharing a fence line. But, like people, some do better by themselves than others. Our big horse was actually fine by himself and we used him as an excuse to get into minis!!! If you do have more than one, because they are herd animals, you will find they don't like to be separated. We made sure to separate our mini and big horse gradually, starting almost as soon as they met, so I could safely take the horse on trail rides.

Hi and welcome to the forum and to minis!
default_smile.png

My experience with chain link is ripped off eyelids! They rub their faces on it and their eyelids get caught in the diamonds and rip right off! It's a nasty bloody mess! We got rid of our chainlink after we had it happen to several of our mares
default_sad.png

Like Jane said, they do need plenty of room to run and roam around in. A dog run isn't big enough. And he will need a little horse friend to be happy.

Your daughter is lucky to get such a neat gift!
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your new little horse, know you will enjoy him! San Antonio club that Al B mentioned is probably the closest to you, and they put on a show in July as well as numerous play days and clinics through the year that are great learning experiences for beginners. Check their website for more information.

Can't help you with a farrier in your area but I'm not far away if I can ever help with anything else. We are just northeast of Austin.

Ditto what Robin said about chain link and eyelids... you may be fine with it for awhile, but they are big time itchy esp in the spring when it starts to warm up and they still have heavy winter coats.

There are lots of "only" horses who do just fine esp if they get quality time spent with them, but they are indeed herd animals and thrive with like company. Studies have been done that suggest they even eat & digest food better if they can see other horses while they are eating!

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! Tony Greaves is who we have bought him from : ) that is where she will be going to learn. I will be watching too Buda is about 40 min from me so I am just going to wait and watch. Thanks for the heads up on chain link! We will be replacing it for sure then.... We have four 10 foot panels we are using for half of it and the other half is fence we built so its a pretty large area.... Not really sure on measurements but my chicken run we used the panels for was at leat 20 x 17 or so and we have more than doubled that. I will be sure to get the panels switched before spring! I was hoping to use them for a new chicken run for a new flock and grow out some chicks again this year. I am sure he will have plenty of room according to what Mr. Greaves told me. I know for sure he will be groomed and walked every day, this will be a dream com true for my dd... She has done very well taking care and responsibility with our other animals, she has a real heart for them! I appreciate everyone for taking the time for advice and suggestions!

Congrats. We just got into minis a few months ago, but have had other horses. We got our kids involved in the local AMHA club and that has been wonderful! I have heard that they don't necessarily need another horse per se and when we brought our mini mare home we had hoped that she would bond with the goats, but she ran the fence almost constantly and we ended up going out and buying a little companion pony for her. She is MUCH calmer now. So, some seem fine by themselves, but others don't seem to do as well. I guess it all depends on the individual horse. But having more than 1 creates it's own problems like having to split your time in taking care of and working with them and then of course added expense. But for a happy pony, I guess it's worth it.
default_smile.png

Goats and donkeys do not speak the same "language"- I was given a donkey and already had goats and the horses ignored the goats except at feed time when they got really cross with them - this is how I realised that the language is different and unlearnable, so I separated them I ended up buying another donkey to keep the first one company as she was SO lonely! Another horse is really the only option and I would take this chance to point you towards Chances Rescue where you could find a lovely animal, temperament tested and ready to go- also gelded and adult, for very little money!! To give you some idea of space I have two weaned colts (well I suppose they will have to be called yearlings now...) on two acres of grass and they use every single square inch of it, running around and playing all the time. On the other hand I have seven broodmares on the same amount of land as they do not run around and play, but just graze all day. Young animals need a lot more room and walking him out, however good for his manners, will not be enough- it is like keeping a puppy on a lead all the time. I know that, very very occasionally, a horse can be found that prefers to be on it's own, but it is very occasional and not normal,especially with a young colt- my boys would be desolate if kept alone. I think it is wonderful that you are doing this for your daughter, I think we all wish we had had a parent do this when we were ten, but a chicken run is no place for a horse, honestly! If it were me I would leave him where he is, take my daughter to him, and then wait until I had sorted everything out for his proper accommodation before thinking of bringing him home.

I have actually seen horses bond with both goats and donkeys, but I'm not sure how they arrived at that spot. But this little pony had never been around goats and wanted nothing to do with them, although when I turn them out to play, the goats do "hang out" with them. Perhaps if we had given her no choice, she might have eventually, but I would prefer to see her relaxed and content instead of fretting.
default_smile.png

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses!! Many have already given wonderful info. If I might add never worm with Quest and really should not used bute for pain control. Yes, horses are herd animals but some are just as happy without a friend.(I had an only horse for years and she was much happier without a friend...have tried a couple different horse friends and didn't work so went with a goat that she adored.) Goats make good compainions but they can and will eat the horses tails, manes and forelocks off, leaving the horse without it's main fly fighting equipment.(I know this first hand) BEst of luck and enjoy the memories that will be made for your daughter.

Welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses!! Many have already given wonderful info. If I might add never worm with Quest and really should not used bute for pain control. Yes, horses are herd animals but some are just as happy without a friend.(I had an only horse for years and she was much happier without a friend...have tried a couple different horse friends and didn't work so went with a goat that she adored.) Goats make good compainions but they can and will eat the horses tails, manes and forelocks off, leaving the horse without it's main fly fighting equipment.(I know this first hand) BEst of luck and enjoy the memories that will be made for your daughter.
I second the thought on Quest. I actually had a friend that I believe killed his horse with Quest. The horse was doing fine and he wormed him using Quest and a day or two later the horse died. You have to get the measurements exact and not over dose. Better to just stay away from it. But the Quest paste wormer works great for goats!

Latest posts

Back