Helen Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopiedoo

Reaction score
Well, Vicky asked me for a Helen update, so here goes! She is WONDERFUL!! She's 6 months old now, and continues to surprise and amaze us everyday. She is such an inspiring little horse. She is still with her Momma, and they are set up so that we can open a door and leave it open for the day for them so that they may be inside or out, whatever they wish. She is spunky and absolutely LOVES people!! The only thing that this little girl is frightened by is new noises, but she quickly acclimates and shrugs it off. She is a total LOVE MUFFIN! She will sit on someone's lap, yes literally, when she has her feet done! What a blessing she has been to our lives. I still thank God every day for her. Without further adieu, here's Helen, six months old and loving life!

100_0154.jpg

I had to actually run from her to get pictures of her. Here, she is looking back when I called her name like, "Hey, how'd you get over there?" She is SO GREAT, we LOVE HER
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
100_0153.jpg

Jodi

Edited to add: The dark places that you all can see on her are NOT dirt, they are places where her coat is coming in very dark, almost black! Very weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jodi

She is just precious. I love her pictures of her. Thank you for the update. I always

come on the forum looking for any updates on her. She is just so beautiful.

I bet she is such a joy. You guys are so wonderful, and you can see she is so loved.

Thanks So Much

Vicky

I don't know Helen's story but shes a CUTIE! haha Sweetgrass makes me run to she follows me with the camera like its food HAHA!

Helen's story is that she was born without eyes! She is conformationally correct, and everything else is completely normal. The vets say this was developmental not genetic. She is an amazing little horse!! Thanks for the compliment, we think she's pretty cute too
default_smile.png

default_yes.gif
: She is beautiful and definitely has a purpose in life. She is so full of love and trust. Thank you for the update and the wonderful pictures. I know you all love this little darling very much; she knows and feels it, too. What a blessing!

Joan

Helen will be weaned as soon as the weather is warmer for now she is still with mom but I do think mom has her almost weaned as it is. She is sort of a mascot around here and Im sure if the ground was more level we could let her just wander the farm but new areas take a day or two for her to acclimate. We have another filly that we are thinking of partnering her with when the snowdrifts go away. She continues to amaze and amuse us on a regular basis. Some of you know that I have taught many of our horses to hand me their rubber dishes for two mornings now Helen has also handed me her dish which is odd since her mother is not one of the ones who does and she cant see the others doing it so she must associate the handing of the dish with happy sounds and of course she got a cookie for doing it just as everyone else does. Yes blind babies are worth the effort if you are ever faced with a decision regarding one. She already has a purpose and am sure it will only get more apparent as she ages. As the vets told us she doesnt know shes any different.

my first thought was Helen, what a strange name for a mini... till i read that she was born without eyes - then the light bulb went on, Helen Keller!! gee i'm smart :eek:

such a heartwarming story, glad to hear that she is doing so well!!!

Yes Helen Keller who did great things with more handicaps then our Helen has. If I end up registering her which so far I have not tried Her registered name will b e Maine Pride Blinded by the Lite. God's light that is. She is truly a miracle because most foals born with no eyes as Helen was also are born with no rectum and therefore die within hours. Helen has had no other problems since her birth none. Except for the runs during moms foal heat she has been a healthy little girl. Im sure most remember my agony when she was first born but so far so good.

Thanks for the heads up Nita, she looks wonderful! Do you plan to breed her momma back? Maybe they could just stay together if not. Altho I'm sure Ammy would love to pick on her baby sister. Sure would like to see pics of the other 2 also! Hint hint.

Hey Debs,

I got your hint! ;) I will make sure to get some pictures for ya soon. Right now I am laid up with a bum knee, so it will be a bit, but I promise an update as soon as possible
default_smile.png

Me too, I want to see the other minis. I went to see if you had a web site,

but I could not find one. I do hope your knee heals fast. Give Helen a hug.

Vicky

This is so neat. I just thought about Helen today and was wondering how she is getting along. I came on here and there is an update. Thank you so much. She's such a little beauty. I'm gald you love her so much.
default_wub.png
: Let's see her and hear about her progress more often. Please??
default_smile.png

Back