heated hose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My water lines are underground. At areas where there is a pipe up, I have a dug out, blocked sides, underground cut off from main to top out AND a spigot just above the cut off, so I can drain any water from the above ground line that goes up to summer hoses. At the bottom of the box there has been a pit filled with gravel, topped with sand, to handle the drain out. Then I can lift the lid on the underground box, cut off water, drain the above ground pipe, reverse procedure to use. Short hoses to drain easily at the site to heated buckets. Works well for me. I've used plastic bags filled with insulation to push into the underground box area if it was really cold for an extended time,, to help hold the ground warmth. My lines run the entire depth of my property, about 1/3 mile.

If you have power at/near the water outlet, you could build a lided box for the hose and place a light in there, generally it will keep enough heat to maintain a thawed hose. It would be a less expensive alternative.

Water is a major concern for all in the winter.
default_new_shocked.gif
Heated tubs/buckets, plus underground pipe were some of my most enjoyable investments! The underground electric wiring has been another appreciated expense -- and boy does that wire cost!
default_rolleyes.gif
But, I did without some other things and have never regretted it.

At most of our ages, we sure don't need to be carrying buckets of water far. I do keep a couple of water only 6 gal containers with lids, in the event it is needed. NOW, the biggest concern is the electric remaining on.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two kinds of bubblers that you can get, just a regular fish tank air bubbler (about $2) which works well for buckets or the larger aquarium bubblers (rates vary) for smaller troughs. I noticed that someone has come out with an actual bubbler made for horse troughs now. It runs on propane and is under $100. I've not tried that one so I have no opinion on it yet, but the fish tank bubblers do work great for buckets. You do have to get the kind that lay on the bottom. I know some people have used the wand type ones but that really scares me as the horse (at least any horse I've ever owned) would never be able to resist playing with it.

I saw one of those for the first time yesterday at the Northeast Equine Affair. It was out of my pocket book range @ $139.99 for 50 feet of hose. If I didn't have my husband to haul the hose in after filling outside buckets in the morning and stall buckets in the barn at night, I would also put this item on my Xmas list for Santa.

Val

We live in northern Canada so we get extreme cold temps so here we have two insulated heated waterers. We have run our hose and a run of heat tape through pvc pipes and then wrap that in foam pipe insulation. Works great. Running water all year long. If you run the heat tape and hose just in the foal pipe insulators then it can be flexible. Just some ideas.

I would love a couple of these. I may just put that on my Christmas list!
default_wink.png
default_smile.png
What I would give to not have to lug water buckets anymore. That sure would help my back issues I'm sure.

I would love anyone that has bout these to let us know about the original question on the hoses.

I could see a real plus in having one at the foaling barn!

Latest posts

Back