heated hose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
I saw an ad for a heated hose today and was excited about the prospect. I have a sore back and don't like to haul water in the winter. Does anybody have one?

This is the one I was looking at. They have a 25' and 50'

hose at valley vet

Wow that looks pretty cool I have never seen that before although I must admit for 90 bucks I would rather just drain my hose
default_laugh.png

Sometimes our pipes freeze, even though we heat them. I am sure that draining the hose will not last too long into the winter. Besies, I would split the cost with someone. So it is cheaper :)

I'm just curious whether they actually last the winter...

Oh wow!

I might have to ask for that for Christmas! :)

My frozen water months are over half the year here. I have hauled water for YEARS and also drained a hose, neither of which I like in frigid temps. I'd love one of those! :)

Susan O.

Ever think about getting a bubbler for your water troughs? It keeps them from freezing and may be cheaper than a heated hose. That sounds expensive.

I have heated buckets. I would just love a way to get water to them that is as easy as my hose is in my few short summer months. :)

I'm not sure what a bubbler is, in case that would also be another good answer. :)

Susan O.

A bubbler is kind of like the fish tank bubblers, it keeps the water moving gently so it won't freeze.

I've not tried the heated buckets. I was always worried about the horses muching on some part of it that they shouldn't and getting zapped. Have you had yours long? Which model do you use? I'd be interested in getting a couple of those, if I can find one that they can't get into trouble with.

One of the local stores was selling those, only I think they were $70 for a 50 ft hose. I'd have liked to have one, but considering that I need 350' of hose to reach from the house to the most distant water tub it would be a little too expensive. I'd need 100' to 150' to reach the tubs in my front corrals--so I'm afraid I'll be emptying hose awhile longer (and then hauling water once winter really sets in!)

I would like to hear how they actually work though--if they're worth the money & stand up to use very well?

I have bought 1 of the big 16 gallon ones from Valley Vet and quite a few of the smaller green ones that the IFA stores out here in WY carry or the red ones that Murdoch's carries.

So far no problems. The cords are wrapped well with a chew protector, but you can also attach the buckets if you want to your stall railing or panel with bungees and make sure the cord stays on the outside of the stall. Or if your stall has solid walls I guess you could run the cord up from the back and attach it somehow up above.

Since they are flat backed my cords are usually on the outside of the stall in the aisleway. But the horses have not ever chewed on them even if they turn the bucket around and the cord is pulled partway inside.

I have used them for the last 3 or 4 years now.

Thanks for explaining bubblers to me also! :)

Susan O.

A bubbler is kind of like the fish tank bubblers, it keeps the water moving gently so it won't freeze.
I wish I lived where that would work.
default_smile.png
Here...even fast running rivers and brooks will freeze over several inches, so a bit of movement in a water tank probably won't do much to stop it from freezing.

This year I am trying the heated trough for the paddock, I sure hope that works. I use a good insulated (but un-heated) hose, that I drag out from the basement to the barn and paddock all winter. I just reel it in and out...just a bit more work...but we are within 150 feet of both, so it works for us.

Ok I need to hear more about these bubbler things...I am guessing though they to need to be plugged in as well so safety would still be an issue?

I run the cords thru PVC pipe for our heaters and use the bird bath heaters which only use 250 watts not sure if they are safer or not then the big ones but they make me feel better anyway.

Anyway tell me more about your bubble things
default_smile.png

16 Gallon heated buckets works for me. Although I would like a heated hose to reach to them, would need 100ft. though, so that is cost prohibitive at the moment.

I did see at Menards, they have a heated bag to roll your hose up into and that wasn't super expensive. Might work for some folks.

I am so glad I live in southeast Texas where it rarely gets below 25F, and if it does it only last a day or two.
default_saludando.gif
Currant temp outside at 4:48 pm CST on Nov 14 is
default_new_shocked.gif
71F
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What we used to do is get a stock tank and fill it with water out of reach of nosy ponies.
default_rolleyes.gif
Put a tank heater in it, then put your hose IN the tank, making sure all parts are under water. I attached a hay string with a weight on each end that I left hanging out to grab the hose with- no wet hands. When you need the hose, pull it out, then put it back when you are done. Works PERFECT! You will have to dump the tank every now and then as the barn dust and stuff cling to the wet hose and then get put into the tank. Ick. But my hose never froze (unless a part was sticking out....)

Lucy

I work at TSC and heard through the grapvine that we will be carring them very soon in the future as well! So keep your eye out there as they will go very fast! I know im going to be investing in one.
default_biggrin.png

I don't have a problem with the water tanks freezing up. Well, they do. But, I lug HOT water out at 5gal. at a time. I would LOVE running water. I would NEED the $125 one. The horses are not quite 50' away from the house. But, we are way further than 25'. Running water in the winter would be awsome.
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

LOl at 17 degrees this morning I will admit the 125 bucks didnt seem like such a bad price at all
default_laugh.png

This might be a solution for many - its the cover I was talking about, half the price to hold 100 ft. of hose.

Heated Hose Cover

They also list heated hoses, better prices and longer lengths.

Heated Hoses

Last edited by a moderator:
A neat idea, but i'm way too cheap for that! lol

We fun hoses about 1/4 mile up our lane (pastures and paddocks on each side). Eventually in the winter they freeze and we can't use them. We've been lucky to have some mild winters recently and you they will thaw every once in a while and we will top every body off then. When they do freeze we just haul water in the back of the truck. Its a pain, but not too bad. We do run electric up the lane as well, with tank heaters in every tank. They drink so much more water in the winter when its warm.

We should be trenching and laying water lines and electric up both lanes before next winter, so it won't be any work at all
default_smile.png

As for the barns though, we just drain the hoses every night. Its not too big of a pain, you get used to it! lol.

Latest posts

Back