Heat cyles?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doffy

Reaction score
I just purchased a new mare that foaled on May 22, 2009

How many days after foaling is the heat cyle?

How many days after foaling is the reg. heat cycle?

THANKS in advance

"Usually". a mare will come into foal heat about 10 days after foaling. If they come in before the 10 days and are bred, they "usually" will not take. If they come in after 10 days, you have a better chance of getting them in foal during foal heat.

Often, they will not show signs of foal heat (but you can tell they are in foal heat by the diarrhea on the foals butt) But, when you try to breed the mare to the stallion, she wants no part of it.

Then it can be a couple of months before they come into heat again. The nursing foal often keeps the mare from coming in. I have several who I have been trying every 3 days who have foals that are 2 months old, and still no heat cycle.

It can be very frustrating. Sometimes you have to wait until the foal is weaned to get the mare to come into heat.

I agree with Riverdance. I have had them come in to heat a week after foaling! We do not breed them then, but like to wait for the next cycle.

Some mares with a foal at their side will not show good signs even when they are in heat. Pasture breeding may work best for them.

We like giving the mares a few months after foaling before we breed them, but that often means they foal every other year. Which is O.K. with me.
default_yes.gif

Mares which foal in September on we wait until the following spring.

Riverdance is correct, except that mares don't usually (its very rare) have milk-induced anestrus. It is very common to do what she describes for foal heats, have "silent heats". You can force them to show but you'll have a bear of a time doing live cover if they are extremely concerned with their foals, which is common.

Mares will generally cycle (ovulate) every 21 days following their foal heat, which usually has an ovulation between days 9-13 post foaling. Like Riverdance said, mares that ovulate too soon (<10 days) will not have a uterous that is ready to support a pregnancy.

Latest posts

Back