heat cycles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalview

Reaction score
Did not want any early foals for next year so some of my early mares didnt get bred on thier foal heats. HOw many days between cycles before you should start teasing them again? I know foal heat is at 10ish days, HOw many days after that do you start teasing them? Is this from the start of the heat or the end of the heat? I didnt want to have anything born before May 15th next year (too wet and cold here) I am hand breeding everything this year so there are fewer questions on due dates.

We resqued some mares last spring and they were bred so we had no idea when they were due only when they were not due (all before May 15) We just foaled out the last of MY mares yesterday Hurray a successful year with 4 colts and 2 fillys!! :aktion033: and the first 4 were colts so I was getting very worried. Id like to try to chart everything and rather than catch up on sleep like I should be doing Im doing paperwork!! Any info would be greatly appreciated, the book Blessed are the Broodmares is a little confusing, maybe Im just sleep deprived!!
default_wacko.png
:

As with us human females, we all cycle a little differently..........but on average when a mare ends her heat cycle, figure she will be back in heat about 21 days or approx. 3 weeks later.

MA

14 days later
default_smile.png
The entire cycle is about 21 days, but from end of heat to beginning of heat is about two weeks, with estrus being the other week.

Both answers are actually correct. I've had mares start showing heat at 14 days from when they went out of heat and also as long as 21 days after going out and anywhere inbetween. I start teasing at 14 days after going out of heat.

I do the same as Becky because that is the 'common' time span. ...14-21 days from when the mare went out of heat. It just depends on each individual mare and also the time of year.

regarding foal heat...yes that is considered to be around 10 days, but I have had mares come in 4 days after foaling and 20+ days after foaling. The next heat is considered the '30 day heat'....30 days after foaling, but again......that can vary tremendously.

Now isn't this all a lot of help
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin
default_wink.png
:

Charlotte

I guess that I should know better, isnt that what makes horses so confusing, they all vary!! Thank you all so much, as
default_yes.gif
as they say best laid plans of mice and me!!!
default_wacko.png
:

The "textbook" answer is 21 day cycle, 14 days of diestrus and 7 days of estrus. Its not very common to go TOO far away from that, but a day or two is completely normal.

Latest posts

Back