having lots of fun driving!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl

Reaction score
I really enjoy reading this forum. I am learning a lot and trying my best to get up to speed on the world of minis and driving - I am brand new to both. I am building confidence (slowly) and just loving driving. I wish I had tried this years before. So far, we are doing slow and easy drives, but I am building a lot of trust in this brave little gelding, he is very calm and yet not lazy, a really wonderful combination. I am sneaking in a picture of me driving this last weekend. Can't wait for spring, and my new harness so we can really get serious!

Our first drive outside the arena:

DSCN2269.jpg

What a nice picture. Hope you have many great adventures with him and driving. I sure have in the few months of drving I've done.

Good to hear you enjoy the wonderful expericne that is driving! I love it and cant wiat until spring when I can train my other horses to dirve!

Enjoy your new found passion, although it looks as if you already are!
default_yes.gif
:

Great photo, keep them coming

Great pic! I can't wait for spring to arrive too. I sure miss seeing the world ahead between those cute little ears.

it sure is fun, isnt it? U have a very pretty guy there. My horses really seem to enjoy driving, they love getting out and seeing new things.

I think Don is adorable and can't wait to meet you this weekend! Hopefully Kody and I can give you some company on that trail soon.
default_wink.png
:

Leia

beautiful scenery and beautiful set up! enjoy!!!
default_yes.gif
: isnt it great i absolutley love driving,its the next best thing if you cant ride anymore
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks for sharing the picture :bgrin Your going to have a lot of fun driving I know I have over the past few years!

Champ

Sheryl, what a wonderful pic! Welcome to the world of driving! Made me want to join you, looking at the photo.
default_smile.png
Do you live here in the NW? It looks like it, from the picture.
default_smile.png

Hey! Y'all should come visit the Finch Meadow Gang sometime! Maybe we can organize a local trail drive together! :D Have you ever driven at Lord Hill Park?

::pricks ears and looks interested:: Lord Hill Park? No, I haven't! My mom mentioned it but I never got around to checking it out. Hmm....
default_wink.png
: Anyone want to drive this weekend?

Leia

I don't think I can drive this weekend, but maybe could meet up at the parking lot on Sunday morning so we could scout it out a bit. I really don't know how the trails are but I bet they are ok and it sure is close...want to check it out? I used to ride up there and there are some narrower trails but also some wider ones.

Hey, glad to see so many close neighbors! Yes, I am just outside of Clearview and that picture was taken in a kind of scrubby growth area that has old gravel roads etc - my version of a "trail" for now. There is also a dirt track in that area that the kids do BMX on. When it is drier, that will be a great place for the mini-carts but it is still pretty slick and muddy. This picture was the first time Don was driven outside the arena, although I had ground driven him there.

Lord Hill park is hilly AND you have to cross long wooden bridges to cross a bog. I have ridden big horses there and it is a great place, but I don't know how it would work for mini driving. It is even hilliler then Pilchuck tree farm and the trails aren't as wide. I am not sure how wide the wooden bridge is, and there is no rail... it is more of a raised walkway.

What I was wondering about was the Centenial trail. The horse trail is a grassy trail to the side, off the pavement. You will encounter every spook you can imagine - baby strollers, roller bladers, yapping dogs etc, but it is flat and no major obstacles like long raised walkways. I rode my big horse there and he did fine with everything except the roller bladers bugged him.

Anyway, I would LOVE to meet up for a drive. I very much enjoy getting out of the arena and I have so much to learn that I would welcome the chance to meet up and drive.

OOOH yes! The Centennial Trail! That would be perfect! We will all have to set something up, for sure! :D

I actually took Kody to the Centennial Trail twice the weekend before last! It was his first time and I'd forgotten how very many things there are to spook at.
default_rolleyes.gif
: He's such a laid-back guy I hadn't even thought about it until I got on the trail and he jumped as the first bicycle went by. We took Spyder the next day and led Kody and the big guy showed him how it was done. HE'S done the Centennial Trail many times and knew what it was all about even though he hadn't been there in six years. (Gosh, has it really been that long?)

However now I find myself interested in Lord's Hill for my own workouts. I was thinking only this afternoon how badly I needed somewhere to school Kody on trotting over wooden bridges on the trail and I also need a lot of hillwork to condition him for Ram Tap but was thinking the Tree Farm was too far. Okay, so I take Kody to Lord's Hill on Friday, meet you Sheryl on Saturday at your place, and we all do the Centennial Trail on Sunday! LOL

Just be aware that there are places on the CT where the horse paths are too narrow for carts and you may not be able to get around the posts on the bike trail. I did it with the Hyperbike but it involved dodging into brambles and up and down some hillsides that would have been nightmares with a regular cart. Still, it's worth a try!

Here is a picture of the posts I'm talking about (please ignore Kody's convincing Pirahna imitation):

Boys012807.jpg

One has to be aware that there are horses and mules along the paths who think minis are scary and minis with carts are even worse...

CentennialTrail01.jpg

And here are a couple of other pictures I left uncropped to show the trail.

CentennialTrail02.jpg

CentennialTrail03.jpg

Leia

Edited to fix pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back