Having a hard time finding a harness that will fit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teensy weensy

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time finding a harness that will fit my mini gelding.. He's a hare over 34" and is defenately not on the chubby size -probably between 150 and 200 pounds?

I purchased a harness that supposidly was going to fit an A sized mini, but got it home and there was no way that it was anywhere close to fitting him.

I have been keeping an eye out on ebay and everything I find I measure and they wont fit because everything is to big. grr

I have looked at Ozark mountain and know that they could probably get a harness that would fit my guy, but I can aford a super fancy harnesss like that.

I would like to show someday, but at this point I just need a safe pleasure harness that is in good condition that is nice enough that in the future I could show in it.

So long story short, is he really that hard of a fit or am I just looking in the wrong places? I know that there are much smaller minis out there that are driving that obviously have tiny harnesses, so do they have to pay a fortune to find a harness that fits?

Thanks!

Mine is around the same size and I used Jeffer's Equine- although it took a long time to come since it was on backorder. Safari is 34-36 ish inches and I got the B-size and it fits him well. I got the $120 harness since I am just starting out. But I think they also have a higher quality one there. I totally agree about Ozark's high prices- its absolutely ridiculous. Craigslist can be good if there is something in your area or get honest/accurate measurements. Good luck

I can't stress this enough. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN HARNESSES!!! I would NEVER buy a harness off of Ebay! There is a LOT of crap on there. So unless you know what you are looking at, avoid it like the plague, unless you want to have an accident experience.

That being said, I haven't found an "off the rack" harness to fit minis decently.

Try Iowa Valley Carriage for a decent harness, sized to fit YOUR horse at a decent price. Yes, it won't be $100, but it will fit, be SAFE, be nice enough to show in, and won't be the 1K I have into each of mine.

Buy quality, cry once; and buy the best you can afford and take care of it.

Myrna

fourluckyhorseshoes said:
I totally agree about Ozark's high prices- its absolutely ridiculous. Craigslist can be good if there is something in your area or get honest/accurate measurements. Good luck
You have got to be kidding me. Ozark's pleasure harness is absolutely bargain-basement cheap for the quality and anything cheaper than $200 is generally crap or is going to need a LOT of rehab and refitting before being useable. You can find bargains on Craigslist but by the time you know how to tell the lemons from the gold, you'll already have a few harnesses in the barn and know that as Rhinestone said, you get what you pay for. Do it right the first time, for the sake of your horse's comfort and your safety!

To the OP- harnesses rarely fit right straight out of the box. The important parts to have measure correctly are the ones you can't change such as the breeching strap, breastcollar strap, and how far down the saddle comes. You can always shorten the neck strap, hip straps, back strap and most bridle straps or can at least easily replace them. I'd much rather have a harness that's a little too big in those areas than too small! For one thing as your horses matures and muscles up he'll hopefully gain some weight and muscle and will fill out his harness more. It really is easiest to buy your harness from a reputable harness maker as they'll usually exchange any parts that don't fit for no additional cost and you'll end up with a perfect harness that will last you for years.

Leia

I agree with Leia about Ozark being "cheap"... but QUALITY for what you PAY FOR. I always send EVERYONE looking for a new harness there first... because they have such a wide variety from beginner pleasure harness, to "cheaper" show harness, to rolled show harness, to fancy expensive harness.

Their harnesses fit well, are made well for the price, will last if you take care of them, ARE SAFE, are comfortable for the horse (so far their bridles are the ONLY ones that my picky stallion actually likes to wear without throwing a fit).

They are also GREAT people to work with... I have sent some items back because they weren't as I expected, I have had great customer service, I have ordered custom items, just so easy to order from.

They use Mose Miller to make most of their harness, and do take measurements from you to ensure it fits.

Sorry you are having trouble,

Andrea

I bought my first harness from Big Dee 8 years ago. It has served me very well! It fits my 29-34 inch horses fine. I did end up having a new breeching made last year, as the Big Dee only had one strap over the rump and I wanted a double strap. The headstall fits better than the Ozark (which I custom ordered) and still looks good as new. It has never needed a repair. I've even used it in the show ring. Mine did not have a side check. Very nice leather! The reins are also very nice--substantial but very soft.

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=15539

I can't remember if I had to tweak it much; probably not as I didn't have a clue about that in those days! But most harnesses need tweaking. Invest in a good leather punch tool, then "measure twice and punch/cut once".

If you're looking for affordable and servicable, try Ron's Horse Harness. Mine was delivered to my door for under $200, and it's pretty nice leather. The 'Mini A' fit my 34"er very well. They also have an excellent return policy, and were very easy to work with when a friend of mine ended up exchanging parts of her harness for the 'Mini B' instead.

hawkchinook1.jpg

Here's Hawk modelling it.

I will have to agree the harness things I have seen off ebay are very poor quality and usually don't fit much of any thing. My everyday harness cost $375 and is a nice well built harness. And I did show in it a couple of times. Its good leather and well put together. And its 5yrs old now and going strong. Came with both overcheck and side check.

Latest posts

Back