Have you used domperidone-good or bad??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
The baby is 6 days old and doing real well considering what she's been through but I have to supplement her every 3 hours, the mare just doesn't have enough milk. I have ordered it and it should be here today, I'm anxious to try it and very hopeful that it will bring her milk in. Please, if you have had experience with it, tell me what it is? I'm obviously hoping if anyone answers this, that they've had good luck with the product. The vets around here don't believe in it.

The filly is looking good and this is her first day out. I think it's good for her and the mare to be out and would be really good if it'd warm up enough so our grass would start growing better. She's doing so well in with the little herd of equine.

Babybopb.jpg

BabyBopa.jpg

Babybopf.jpg

I used it last year b/c our vet didn't think our mares had enough milk before foaling... now in hindsight, I wonder if my description (phone) of what we saw mislead her. Anyway, I put two mares on it. One foaled 2 days later and we stopped it (she had plenty of milk) other foaled 5 days later and had plenty of milk but no colostrum (so had to transfuse the filly). I wonder if the Domperidone ("Equidone" brand) made her leak the colostrum pre-foaling. But it did "work". Mare was streaming milk and had plenty. I just think she would have done fine w/o it in hindsight. It has a long shelf life and is something I now keep in our foaling kit.

PS your filly is ADORABLE
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jill, it arrived by UPS, it's here. I'm going out now to give BeBop 2 cc's, I wonder HOW LONG it takes to KICK IN? I really have high hopes for it, I would of course but don't enjoy feeding the little one so often, that's BeBops job!
default_laugh.png

Marnie, I think it will work well, but I am not sure how long it takes. I think you'd do 2cc 2x a day for a nursing mare (I think...).

I am pretty sure that I gave it twice a day for a week then once a day after that untill I was sure the milk was in to stay(but this was on a non pregnant mare that I wanted to nurse an orphan, and it worked perfectly) The milk came in on this non pregnant open mare on the 3rd day.

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Marnie, i used it on a mare we bought that had just a small amount of milk and udder development when she foaled and only had to give 2 doses before she turned into a milk cow, if your vet does not believe in it, it must have been because he has not tried to use it on a mare. It will bring in milk on a mare that has not had a baby, it is a very powerful drug. And a proven one as well. I am sure you will get the results you are looking for.

I have also used it on a mare that foaled with no milk, great results. In discussions with my vetabout mares getting ready to foal but not having milk, she warns against using it. Her advice was to wait until the foal hits the ground, then if trere still isn't any milk, use it. Her reasoning was the colostrum may not reach the foal (may actually end up on the ground from leakage).

In your case Marnie, I think you would have GREAT results with it.

Well Marnie, look at her! Runnin and playin, you are doing a heckova job with her. She's pertnear 100% now with your love and time's help and all. I'll keep her pic up a while longer....feel comfy naming her yet?

I'm still learning about this and I've never heard of Domperidone before. If I am understanding right, it helps a mare with no milk produce more? Does the reason the mare does not have milk matter? Or is it just a general stimulant to increase milk production?

As attested by others....and me.....it works!

Originally developed for use in mares who had been on fescue and had no milk. Might need to cut back to a smaller dose as she is milking now but, you need more. So, watch that because they will definately produce! When I got mine it wasn't even on market but still in testing stages. Been a while
default_laugh.png

The filly looks fit and happy. Good job!

Thanks for the info everyone, Amanda, I can't answer you as I don't know much about it but maybe someone else will see it and know the answer.

This is her 3rd foal and she hasn't had a problem before, she's 8 yrs old.

I gave her a dose yesterday and again about midnight, I will give her two doses a day and see what happens.

If you see anything else Deb, be sure to let me know, she seems so good but I know how fast a foal can crash.

And Jill, you know me, with my big mouth, I'll definately get back with the results.

Latest posts

Back