Have you heard of these classes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaming of Minis

Reaction score
I found these classes here: http://www.hemlockfair.org/pdfs_exhibitors...atureHorses.pdf

I thought these class very different and creative:

Pole Bending- This is a timed event. Will be asked to lead through a pole-bending

pattern around pylons.

Carrot Trail- Will be asked to lead horse through a series of obstacles without a lead

line or touching the horse. Each exhibitor will be given a carrot to help in getting he horse

through to course.

Barrel Racing- This is a timed event. Will be asked to drive at a trot through a

cloverleaf pattern around three barrels.

Adult Wine Glass / Command Class- Entries to carry a full cup in each hand while driving in

a command pleasure class, following judges command. The entry with the most wine left in

their glass at the end of the class will be declared winner.

Youth Cool-Aid Cup / Command Class- Entries to carry a full cup in each hand while driving

in a command pleasure class, following judges command. The entry with the most Cool-Aid

left in their glass at the end of the class will be declared winner.

I've seen the pole bending and barrels and can't wait to do it with my mini. I've also seen where you have two people in a cart and drive an obstacle course with targets and your passenger has to hit the target with the paint ball gun. I think it is timed and goes by targets hit as well. I would also like to do the harness racing for minis as well.

ive done pole bending, barrel racing and key hole in harnes, so much fun esp at a canter, my horse is awesome at it.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Our group has been doing the Playdays for 3 or 4 years now.

We love them. (All events are done at a trot only...as fast as you can go, but only at a trot. If you lope more than 5 paces, you get penalty points add to your score.)

We have 4 playdays a year. We do 6 events per playday. 3 before lunch, 3 after.

We always do the pole bending and barrel racing, then add in 4 more from the list below.

1) cones course - ten sets of cones numbered 1 - 10. Drive the pattern and immediately reverse and drive back 10 - 1. (red on the right...always!)

2) plant the flowers - we have 2 barrels (from the barrel race) with a bucket of sand on top and a bouquet of fake flowers, one on each side of the arena and cones placed between the two barrels, but back, so that you form a nice U shape. Object is to drive to the first barrel and grab the flowers...drive down the arena and through the cones and back to the second barrel. Put the flowers you are currently holding in that bucket and grab the flowers from that 2nd bucket, go back through the cones and put the second batch of flowers in the first bucket! It AIN'T easy!

3) we have had a mini obstacle course which included a "bridge" (just a piece of plywood on the ground with cones at each corner), a "knock down"...usually 2 x 4s placed on the ground to form a U. object is to back into the U and knock down the back piece, and a "spin" section where you have a hool a hoop on the ground and have to put one tire in the hoop and make a circle keep that one tire in the hoop.

4) we have a Harness and Go. You must have a header for this class, but anyone will work as they do not need horse experience to help. All horses are placed at one end of the arena. All carts and harness are at the other. Each competitor must pull their own cart and harness down to their horse. With NO HELP from the header (other than holding the horses halter) you have to harness and hitch your horse, the first one through the set of cones for the finish is the winner. (provided they harnessed correctly).

5) some type of driving pattern. We have several to choose from. We usually use barrels and set them up so that you can drive A, B, C, D and E gates. always keeping red on the right.

6) blind man drive. You must have someone in the cart with you for this one. Two people are in the cart. One is blind folded and the other can only instruct with words. They cannot help drive. Then you have to navigate a pattern. We usually use either the barrel racing pattern or the pole bending pattern.

7)Big T

8)Bow Tie

9)crazy 8s

10)double barrels

11) flying W

12) 4 leaf clover

13) single barrel circle

If anyone wants more info, I'd be glad to help. It's become my favorite type of competition. We give out event prizes and a big "High-Point" prize at the end of the year. I've won High-Point 3 years in a row!!
default_wub.png
:

We do the barrels and poles at our mule and donkey shows. It's fun! We also do it "in-hand"....which in reality is crazy! Hubby says it's an event to see how fast someone can drag a small animal around the course!

There is also an event (can't remember the name) where you have a course set up of cones. You have to drive through the course as fast as you can (at a trot) and then come back through the opposite way. I think it's called Scurry. Then you can do it as a team of drivers. One drives one way and then switch drivers to come back. It tests how well the horse responds to other drivers as well as how a driver can handle different horses.

Latest posts

Back