Have you gotten the swine flu vaccine yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! I also thought long and hard about this, too. However, after doing a lot of research, I felt the risks to my children of getting the flu outweighed the risks of the shot. My youngest daughter basically has half a heart, and the blood flow to her lungs relies on the pressures in her lungs being low enough for the blood to flow passively into them. Basically, any type of respiratory infection seriously compromises her. I've heard of too many of these heart kids ending up in ICU on ventilators this fall already. We have always gotten the seasonal flu shot.

We all received the seasonal flu shot in September and the girls received the H1N1 shot last Monday - and their arms were not even sore. I'm just hoping it does work like it's supposed to and we escape the flu this year!

In the end, we had to do what gave us the most peace of mind.

Barbara

I got my H1N1 shot on Wednesday, I didn't even feel it and I have no side effects so far. I am in the high risk group as I have asthma so went to one of the clinics here in town. They had it so well organized I only waited 20 minutes and I was #98 to get it. Now that is fast, you had to wait about 15 minutes after getting it to ensure you didn't have a reaction to the shot. I also got the seasonal flu shot which I get every year.

Yvonne

I work in a major durg store chain. I have gotten bad colds twice form work . I am still suffering with the second one. I was offered a free flu shot and took it. My arm hurt for three days but, I'm glad I got it. I am in contact with sick people all day long. Some of the people who have come in have had H1N1. They go the the doctor then they come to the durg store next . I think I should fall under the high risk heath worker class and be able to be to get the shot sooner but, for some reson I do not. When the shot does come to my area I will be getting it.

Tough decision for me, I have 2 young kids. But I'd have to say no, the virus is new and the shots are even newer, it makes me feel that anyone who gets it is just a guinea pig in the eyes of the government. Maybe after it's been around a couple years.

Hey thank you all so much for your thoughts and replies!!! It's truely a gift to have you all!! THANK YOU!!!

Now on an interesting note...... After I wrote this we all got sick! Last wenesday we all got super sick!!! Chills, sweats, caughing, headaches!! YUCK!!!!! I think I jinxed us by asking!!! LOL!! DR. said it was not the swine flu but just a virus
default_new_shocked.gif
(Just!!!). So today is the first day I have no headache and can focus better so I'm going to try and play catch up on all the stuff that has gotten behind while I was sick.

I did ask my DR. about the H1N1 vaccine. He said if you get the regular flu shot go ahead and get the H1N1. I told him we don't usually get the regular flu shot , should we just wait it out to see how people react to the new vaccine? He just shrugged and said the flu season is over halfway done with.

Ahhh OK
default_gaah.gif

Thanks again!!!

Leya

Got it this afternoon. My sister, her wife, my mom, my one nephew, and all my four nieces (probably) got H1N1, and my sister in Boston almost died. The benefits far outweigh the risks IMHO. Lots of hysteria and bull surrounding this vaccine.

Plus, they're actually saying that if you have the "flu", it's most likely H1N1

Last edited by a moderator:
ummmm. Who's your doctor? The "regular" flu season hasn't even started! Everyone in Canada is advised to get the H1N1, first, for that reason and that it's been shown that if you get the regular flu shot first it actually can make you more susceptible to H1N1.

Hey thank you all so much for your thoughts and replies!!! It's truely a gift to have you all!! THANK YOU!!!
Now on an interesting note...... After I wrote this we all got sick! Last wenesday we all got super sick!!! Chills, sweats, caughing, headaches!! YUCK!!!!! I think I jinxed us by asking!!! LOL!! DR. said it was not the swine flu but just a virus
default_new_shocked.gif
(Just!!!). So today is the first day I have no headache and can focus better so I'm going to try and play catch up on all the stuff that has gotten behind while I was sick.

I did ask my DR. about the H1N1 vaccine. He said if you get the regular flu shot go ahead and get the H1N1. I told him we don't usually get the regular flu shot , should we just wait it out to see how people react to the new vaccine? He just shrugged and said the flu season is over halfway done with.

Ahhh OK
default_gaah.gif

Thanks again!!!

Leya

Last edited by a moderator:
Seasonal flu season is just now beginning no where near half way over. No one knows yet the "season" for H1N1

The risks are there and many are dying while many die from the flu each year this is a different group this is not elderly which do not seem to be quite as effected this is healthy children and young adults

everyone has to make up there own mind but I think installing fear in others is not the way to do so.

Raven and I both had our H1N1 and I had the seasonal flu shot back in Sept. Raven will get hers once they have them in stock again we got it a couple weeks ago with no problems. They are giving it to the kids at schools here we have had quite an outbreak

I have had my regular flu shot, and am waiting for the Dr to get the H1N1 in...then I will be getting that one too.

A very good friend of mine, a health-nut if there ever was one...a runner, and very physically fit young lady...just spent a week in the hospital, with H1N1, and the resultant pneumonia. She almost died...seriously...and is still almost too weak to stand on her own.

If I hadn't already decided to get the shot...this would have changed my mind.

Back